User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Unstable Rider OP
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,331
Fix your iphone 4 with stuffed chicken!

I was over to snow blow a relatives driveway today.

I left my iphone in the truck intentionally, so I would not damage or loose it.

Upon completion of the work, I went to my truck to retrieve my iphone 4 before going in the house for a visit. I promptly dropped the iphone in 3/4 of an inch of snow that was near where I parked. It was in an armored case of sorts, so I was not concerned too much about the impact.

Got home after my visit and noted that my iphone would light up on occasion to alert me to texts and e-mails coming in, but it was not beeping or providing any tones. Hmm, thought for minute the mute/vibrate switch got bumped, but nope, that was not it. Shit! When I would try to raise or lower the volume with the up and down keys, I got a pop up on the screen that indicated "headphone volume". Dang, this thing thinks I have the headphones in and I do not.

I tried to reset settings via the screen menu's and nothing worked. I tried a quick re-boot, nothing.

Headed for the Google. Typing in "iphone 4 stuck in headphone mode" yielded that many folks have had the same problem, and "moisture" indirectly entering the headphone jack port is the culprit. At the advice of the Google, I did a hard-restore wipe of the phones OS and all software. It did not help.

Back to the Google. You won't believe the things people suggest, or have tried. Some tricks reportedly have worked, some did not.
Cue tips, blowing in the phone, blowing in the speakers, jumping up and down on one foot while chanting the theme song to Gilligan's Island, nothing was working.

Another Google suggestion, a hair dryer. Since I am near bald as a cue ball, my bathroom does not have a hairdryer in it. I recently moved, and my air compressors and other support items are all in storage.

The last suggestion also said, perhaps a warm-ish oven for awhile.... I had just pulled some stuffed chicken out of the oven with baked taters..... I turned the oven off and waited till I thought it would be right for the phone, warm but not hot...

About 15 minutes later, I pulled the iphone out of the oven. Uhh, it was warmer to touch than I had planned on... removed it with a potholder.... a message on the screen said "TEMPERATURE" when I turned the phone on.

Whoops. So I put it an an open window, it's 30 degrees outside here. Ten minutes later I fired up the phone.

Iphone volume and speakers working NORMALLY, thank you

For those of you that swapped out your handlebar mounted GPS devices with your iphone, or are running iphones in the mesh part of your tank bag so you can have the headphones on, beware. Don't let the phone get damp

On an Apple tech forum, I read where they have moisture sensitive paper strips (Litmus?) inside the phone. If they get a warranty claim and it turns out it was water related, they may not cover it, depending on the fine print in your warranty.

For those that have armored boxes or sleeves that we carry our phones in, that's great-- but is the earphone hole closed?

Something to think about. Sorry if this belongs in an iphone forum, feel free to move it.

Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
steve_k
Banned

Oddometer: 1,054
Hmmm, surprised that can happen on the iPhone.... I'm an IPhone user, but work for one of the other manufactures and we designed our phones so that doesn't happen if moisture gets in the headset jack. Previously we used a switch in the headset jack that is normally open, then closes when a headset is inserted. Now we use a switch that is normally closed, and opens when a headset is inserted, so if moisture does get in there, you can still use the phone. I thought the carriers had required this from all of their suppliers since this end users could be ass out in an emergency if their phone got wet.

Oh, when I'm drying out phones for co-workers that have dropped their phones in water, 65c to 70c for about 20-30 minutes works pretty good..... It may work for a while, but no guarantee!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Unstable Rider OP
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,331
Interesting thoughts, Steve, thanks.

I should have included that I am on the Verizon network.
I know the chassis builds vary a little between an At & T and a Verizon, for example. Perhaps the Verizon is the lesser resistant via that port
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
toddelof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Rice?

I wonder if putting the phone in a ziplock baggie with rice in it would dry it out. I have heard of it working and even saw a TV commercial where they do it. Never tried it myself though.

Glad you got it working again.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddelof View Post
I wonder if putting the phone in a ziplock baggie with rice in it would dry it out. I have heard of it working and even saw a TV commercial where they do it. Never tried it myself though.

It does. A coworker dropped hers in the toilet and let it sit in a baggy of rice all day. It dried out and works fine now.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddelof View Post

+1 This is the method that has worked for me in the past.