Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnordsman View Post
You are probably right. I don't pack light enough. I have lived out of the 720's for as much as 10 days all in one climate. When I travel north and go thorough multiple climates I take a more stuff. If I have to fill a giant top bag it defeats having side panniers to lower the weight. Hence the comment about bigger cases for longer trips.
Sometimes we use a med duffle on the rack to stuff light layers. On our 14 day trip we saw temps from 28f in Yellowstone to 103f in the desert. Wifey had all her stuff in one case, I had all mine in the other. Duffle prob had 10lbs of stuff. I can deal with that especially two up. I think we had our stuff down to 28lbs each including the weight of the seahorse case.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Oddometer: 286
If you have a pick of how you packed for two-up I would be interested in seeing it. I am always open for ways to improve my kit.
Nnordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnordsman View Post
If you have a pick of how you packed for two-up I would be interested in seeing it. I am always open for ways to improve my kit.
I will dig one up in the morning.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
super21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I mounted a pair of 720's on some homemade racks on my klr. I rode from michigan to raddison/hudson bay and the route de nord over to the trans lab highway and rode the trans lab both ways with out any trouble at all from the cases. They are well built,inexpensive cases. If I could find some my only other choice would be a couple of mermites for the top loading feature.
super21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
p0diabl0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Yeah, I think it's a pretty exclusive club! I'm now certain that my bike is a one-of-a-kind with the addition of a skid plate I built and installed over the weekend.

Nice, don't see that on many bikes with clip-ons.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #21
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Nice, don't see that on many bikes with clip-ons.
Hahaha. Swapped the clip-ons for handlebars a few weeks ago... Best upgrade to the bike yet!

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
I have been running 720's on my Vstrom for 4 years. Not many complaints especially for the price. I will buy another set when I change bikes. They have never leaked and hold up great when the bike falls over in camp. I throw a pad lock on them. Not as beefy as a pelican but plenty sturdy. My bud had them on his Uly as well, they are strong enough to use as a center stand the buell

Too the guy that said they are too small for more than two days, he must way over pack. Wife and I spent two weeks on the road and had more than enough room. I have camped out of them for 9-10 days and still have plenty of room. Use compression bags and don't over pack and they will hold a ton of stuff.

Yes they are strong enough.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,139
They work well as panniers on the vintage ride:

SE920 works well as a topcase:

One feature I like is the option for integrated locks in the latches. They're not anything super secure, but they add a layer of protection and may deter the sub-professional thief.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
NortwestRider OP
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,062
Ordered mine last night,$105.00 for a pair with shipping .
They are going on a 94 GS500,along with a skid plate,barkbusters,DS tires,Kolpin 1.5 gallon tank,etc then heading to Alaska in June with my new NCX!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
One feature I like is the option for integrated locks in the latches. They're not anything super secure, but they add a layer of protection and may deter the sub-professional thief.
I personally have never used the integrated locks. They're not locks. Any half-witted thief would figure that out in a heartbeat. And although I haven't tried it, I think if you pulled hard enough on the latch, the "locks" would just break. On the rare occasion that I lock my panniers, it's 2 padlocks per side. Anything less is just a waste of time IMO.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I personally have never used the integrated locks. They're not locks. Any half-witted thief would figure that out in a heartbeat. And although I haven't tried it, I think if you pulled hard enough on the latch, the "locks" would just break. On the rare occasion that I lock my panniers, it's 2 padlocks per side. Anything less is just a waste of time IMO.
I had a friend whose factory Harley side case came open on the highway when he went over a fairly large pothole. They were latched, but not locked. I always keep mine locked for that reason alone. Given the latch system, I'd say it's fairly unlikely to happen, but I like the peace of mind of knowing they're locked as I'm going down the road, especially with side-opening cases.

You're right. Those locks won't stop a determined thief, but they are a theft deterrence at least.

By the way, which locks do you have the plastic or metal ones?

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,546
Not a motorcycle application, but I use the 520's here at work and have one mounted on my snowmobile.

The plastic locks will keep a casual thief from rifling through your stuff, but it's not a "lock" i'd trust with anything valuable.

Back of my 900

On my pro, mounted with delrin bar and 1" vibration-isolating neoprene standoffs:

Waterproof, airtight (Can hear it equalize when you pop the latch after a few kft elevation change)... easy to latch/unlatch with gloves on. 3 years on my 900 and this season so far on my Pro without any issues. I've rolled my sled over on it numerous times, it's whacked a ton of trees, been stabbed with a shovel...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #28
jrod
squidless

Oddometer: 141
Seahorse

I have the Seahorse cases mounted to an HT rack that also accepts the aluminum boxes and my HT soft bags. To be honest, the Seahorse's are on 90% of the time. They support the bike well whilst it takes a nap.

jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #29
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
They're not locks? Mine require a key and are made of metal. My SE920 top case kept all kinds of stuff from getting pinched over 10 months in 18 countries, most of those nations falling into the "developing" category. It is true, though, with a pry bar, they'd be toast in a few seconds. With a cheap set of bolt cutters, your padlocks are toast in the same amount of time. Personally, I'm just glad we have options for good quality, USA-made cases for our moto trips.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #30
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
Ordered mine last night,$105.00 for a pair with shipping .
They are going on a 94 GS500,along with a skid plate,barkbusters,DS tires,Kolpin 1.5 gallon tank,etc then heading to Alaska in June with my new NCX!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't mind my asking, where'd you find them for that price?

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote