ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #15871
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
No need to get snarky boys - I'm sure your Moms taught you better than that.
I didn't find their responses "snarky"; just stating the obvious.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #15872
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
I appreciate the information on the wrenching of the Tiger - was mis-informed by a couple dealers service departments - I now stand corrected.
Those are the last people you should expect an honest answer from. They want your money, so of course they told you it takes specialized equipment/training to work on the bike! Service departments are how dealerships make most of their money.

While it is true that dealer mechanics receive special training for each bike and that they have Triumph-supplied tools and diagnostic software, essentially everything is available in the aftermarket as well. The Tiger 800s are actually quite easy bikes for the private mechanic to maintain.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #15873
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
>snip

No need to get snarky boys - I'm sure your Moms taught you better than that.

Condescending...yep. And "moms", "gentlemen", and "boys" in one post? Everything you posted sounds like you're trying to prove something. Consider just not posting. Really. Think bout it.


__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #15874
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
While it is true that dealer mechanics receive special training for each bike
--mark
That's not strictly true actually.
My dealer's chief mechanic let slip that they have to pay Triumph to go on those courses. So, if the bike is pretty much the same as another model, e.g. 675 Vs 800 engines, they don't go and just wing it when they get the new model in.
I'm OK with that because the basics will be exactly the same and so long as they have the specs (valve clearances for example) for the 800 they should still be able to do the job properly.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, problem free 72000 miles.
2012 black Tiger800XC, problem free 28000 miles.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #15875
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,427
So the two main reasons she disliked the Tiger were gas mileage an special service needs? Did I read that right?
If so, maybe you need help picking a bike next time because you got it entirely wrong on both counts.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #15876
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That's not strictly true actually.
My dealer's chief mechanic let slip that they have to pay Triumph to go on those courses. So, if the bike is pretty much the same as another model, e.g. 675 Vs 800 engines, they don't go and just wing it when they get the new model in.
I'm OK with that because the basics will be exactly the same and so long as they have the specs (valve clearances for example) for the 800 they should still be able to do the job properly.
If they can deal the bikes then they can work on them. They will not deliver new models if they don't have qualified people.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #15877
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fireman1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Gray GA
Oddometer: 2,205
So are these bikes reliable, or am I going to be spending a lot of at the dealership two hours away for repairs? I know the internet has a way of magnifying things, but there seems to be a lot of talk about heat, stalling, fluid leaks etc. When I buy a bike, I'd rather ride than wrench. Especially at the XC's cost.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #15878
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,626
They're super reliable. I've put 31,000 miles on mine with no issues. Hasn't even needed a valve adjustment.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #15879
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
So are these bikes reliable, or am I going to be spending a lot of at the dealership two hours away for repairs? I know the internet has a way of magnifying things, but there seems to be a lot of talk about heat, stalling, fluid leaks etc. When I buy a bike, I'd rather ride than wrench. Especially at the XC's cost.
all triumphs are known to be reliable. the XC is no exception.

fluid leaks? where did you see this?

Stalling was a software issue and has been fixed.
not sure about your heat reference. some think the bike does not disperse the heat properly and blows back on the legs. my response is, don't wear shorts... bikes are hot, if you want air conditioning stay in your car.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #15880
jmcg
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 382
26,200 kms, zero issues.

Replaced tyres, oil, put fuel in, ride.

Great bike.

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #15881
Jimbones
Adventurer
 
Jimbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Halfway to Heaven and Just A Mile Out Of Hell
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
So are these bikes reliable, or am I going to be spending a lot of at the dealership two hours away for repairs? I know the internet has a way of magnifying things, but there seems to be a lot of talk about heat, stalling, fluid leaks etc. When I buy a bike, I'd rather ride than wrench. Especially at the XC's cost.
Very reliable! I have 20K miles in 14 months with zero problems. I swing into my dealership every couple months just so they don't forget my face. I pick up a t-shirt or a refrigerator magnet to justify my visit, hang out for awhile, and then I'm on my way. If reliability is your deciding factor - buy it!!!
Jimbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #15882
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 3,974
A couple of months ago when it started to get cold here (upper 30's and below will qualify for cold in tucson) I noticed that for several seconds after starting my tiger in the morning I'd get a little clatter noise coming from the engine. Not to be confused with the standard assortment of noises this engine makes. Sound sort of like a valve "ticking" noise. It does not happen when the temps are a little warmer. Just wondering if anyone else notices this in colder temps. My tiger has 13k miles on it and I am using rotella t6 which is a 5-20W synthetic oil fwiw. New or old oil makes no difference relating to the sound.

And for poster above asking about reliability I wouldn't let it concern you. The only real issue was the stepper stalling issue and that has been addressed. Other than that I can not think of any chronic or widespread issues on this bike.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #15883
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
.....Sound sort of like a valve "ticking" noise. It does not happen when the temps are a little warmer. Just wondering if anyone else notices this in colder temps. My tiger has 13k miles on it and I am using rotella t6 which is a 5-20W synthetic oil fwiw. New or old oil makes no difference relating to the sound.

And for poster above asking about reliability I wouldn't let it concern you. The only real issue was the stepper stalling issue and that has been addressed. Other than that I can not think of any chronic or widespread issues on this bike.
I believe T6 is a 5-40w synthetic. I've noticed a little tick on cold mornings at startup also, but it goes away within 30-40 seconds. Just leave the throttle alone when starting to keep from wacking a dry motor.

No fluid leaks....Stepper motor replaced under warranty (replaced because Triumph wouldn't just pay to lubricate it properly.) Arrow map loaded for the LV pipe, mileage went from 50 to 38 mpg. I'll be loading the standard map before the weather warms up.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #15884
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
I believe T6 is a 5-40w synthetic. I've noticed a little tick on cold mornings at startup also, but it goes away within 30-40 seconds. Just leave the throttle alone when starting to keep from wacking a dry motor.
.
sorry, yes, 5-40.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #15885
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,237
I finally got around to making a video of our long ride this last summer. I'm no good at making videos and even worse at remembering to film. But, this is the best I've got. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3lA-LVxYn8

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014