Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
LostinCO OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Info on jackets - look at login, you'll understand!

Apologize in advanced if I missed a thread on this...but looking for info on textile jackets . Specifically, trying to figure out what features I might need as I live in the central Rockies at 9,000 ft. and expect to ride locally as well as be making some trips west to the Utah/Nevada deserts. Given a work-a-day, two kid budget, local mountain weather and a yearning to travel in a warmer/dryer climate I maybe asking too much of one jacket. Just got my first bike (klr) and haven't really ridden but for atv's when a lad and summer/late fall for work, most recently.

I've noted that barring spending a mortgage payment on kit which will cover most any situation, info is a bit lacking from manufacturers on what they designed their jackets/pants specifically for. Or, I'm just not getting it - which maybe the case?!

Thanks, for any thoughts; constructive, snide otherwise.
LostinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,730
My Olympia AST is good to around 28-30 degrees with a couple of shirts under it, and with the liner out and vents open it's tolerable to 90+ degrees. When it's 50 or above I like my Revit jacket better though, with the liner out it's good to over 100. Look at mesh jackets for temperate weather, but they're actually worse for you in hot weather.

But n00b, be warned- you won't be happy with one jacket, one pair of gloves, one helmet... one bike....

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Look into the offerings from British motorcycle gear (BMG)

I have the discovery jacket and it is a great cold and wet weather jacket, not great when it's hot but doable, they also have something called the challenger which looks nice as well

It's good quality, well priced gear
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
rodm850g
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb jackets

lotinco,
go to motorcyclegear.com they have closeouts and regular priced items too....one of the things they do isd offer advice about fit and does the item work kindastuff great site
Rodm850g
rodm850g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
LostinCO OP
n00b

Yes, I have no illusions of finding the Holy Grail gear-wise. I assume longtime inmates are still searching! Looking for a place to start and a reason why. Go mesh because I'll ultimately be hot even in the Rockies and it can cover a lot of bases w/ liners or go textile because when you are looking at being cold and wet there is nothing better, etc.

I do appreciate you folks weighing in!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Be careful with mesh, it can dehydrate you and not cool you off. You're often better off sweating a little in a vented jacket (which cools you and minimizes water loss) than in mesh, which exposes you to a lot of hot air without cooling you. IMHO, the mesh temperature window is a narrow one.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Wicked Awesome jacket suggestion.

I have gone to the new Teknic Freeway in DayGlo...as my 2009 version is well worn and forlorn...with my heated Gerbings as a layer or cooling vest as a layer, over the Rocky Mts., hot Texas/Mexico, Pacific North Wet Coast, stormy Utah, mosquito Saskatchewan, check out their gear...nice fit, works well with my Olympia pants and either AlpineStar tourers or Tech 8's
My $0.02
Hope you find it helpful
You'll never get away with one, or cheap, treat yourself. You earned it.

yatman

yatman screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:38 PM Reason: Added a wee bit
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Shadow 9er
renegade

Oddometer: 504
+1 for Olympia's AST... great jacket in cool weather, I haven't tried it in warm weather yet. It has a lot of utility for different riding conditions.

What kind of budget are you working with? When I got back into MC's a few years ago, I had a very limited budget. Plus, I didn't know my ass from my elbow as far as what constituted good gear, or what I was in the market for. This is actually what first brought me to Advrider... I bought a cheap jacket (from motorcyclegear.com) and it was pretty decent for my first year, but I was soon looking for some improvements.

. I would encourage you to look into a price range of up to $350ish for a jacket if buying new...but heck, use the flea market here on ADV!
Shadow 9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
LostinCO OP
n00b

Thanks!

I am quickly realizing that the $350-ish range is probably more realistic whether a nice venting textile coat or a "4 season" mesh/heated vest combo (probably more like $400+ for this).

Thanks for the comments; it is interesting as I seem to keep coming back to Olympia Moab or AST as two possibles that may work quite well for what I expect to be doing.

Never really thought the fact that I can change my whole environment 180 degrees within a two hour drive would cause some much trouble!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
LostinCO OP
n00b

Another thought....

1911Fan can you explain the rationale, as I understand and have briefly read the thread aboout "bad Heat" and mesh ie, textile will shield you from motor heat (I assume) and mesh will not. Is this what you are refering to?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
If you regularly check the Fleamarket subforum here, you can often score some gently used, high end gear.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinCO View Post
1911Fan can you explain the rationale, as I understand and have briefly read the thread aboout "bad Heat" and mesh ie, textile will shield you from motor heat (I assume) and mesh will not. Is this what you are refering to?

Thanks
I'm *a* 1911 Fan, not *the* 1911Fan... :)

There are a couple issues when the air temp gets above a certain temp with wearing mesh or no gear.

1.) Your sweat evaporates so quickly that you aren't really cooled by the effect, you end up dehydrating so quickly that heatstroke becomes a real possibility.

2.) If the outside air is hot enough the flow of hot air over your body can actually increase your core temperature like you are in a convection oven.

Wearing a vented jacket (as opposed to mesh), and using a cooling vest or wetting your T-Shirt can keep the evaporative cooling process working longer without dehydrating at a dangerous rate.

Unfortunately I don't know the hard numbers related to this.
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
spoon
Rubber's gone!

Oddometer: 204
As you suggested - I'm still looking. But, I have gone through 2 Tour Master Flex-2's because I must like them. I use a heated liner in the winter and take the quilted liner out in the summer. I live in northern NM and came from Co. so I am familiar with the weather. Summer temps change so much that less is not good, a hot day can see a big temp drop in 15 min. leaving you freezing. .
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

AlecMyrddyn pretty well covered it. In mesh gear, sweat evaporates RFN, so you don't get any of the cooling from it, and the hot wind can cook you. There is a good thread on this somewhere, and it does allude to textile not protecting you from motor heat, but I think that's a minor issue compared to convective heating in high temps.
Wet Tshrt and one of those soak/cool bandanna things can keep you more comfortable and safer.

1911fan

John Moses Browning was God's right hand, inventing the perfect weapon.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
LostinCO OP
n00b

Got it...

Starting to understand where folks are coming from on mesh verse textile. The comment about major changes in CO weather is very true -I seem to get screwed once a year when the collective meomory/experience is overrun by my need to get out whether hiking or biking (pedal). Always seems to be a 60 degree drop with precip that wasn't there five minutes ago. I image when that happens at 60 mph it really sucks.

So the take home I'm getting is it is all a compromise, I need to decide which one I want to make and take the risk with best knowledge until I figure out what works for me...

Thanks, for the comments, suggestions etc. - off to make a list, do a comparison and place an order.