User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
DirtGrlll OP
Positively Motocyclic

Oddometer: 404
Paging Female Riders: Helmet Input Desired

I have a peanut head. I admit it. Only a small sample of helmet manufacturers make an adult helmet in XXS (i.e., 51-52 cm, hat size 6 3/8 - 6 1/2, or 20 - 20 1/2 inches). Have two HJC helmets that are well-loved but starting to think about age/abuse/etc.

For the road, lusting over the Shoei RF-1100 Corazon (holy moly, almost $500 for a helmet? yipes!) and found a screaming deal for off-road on an HJC CL-X5N Bella Donna full face. The former is nearly $500, the latter is on major close out for (really!) around $32.

Questions: anyone using the Shoei? Is is worth it? I am not about to sacrifice safety for money but the HJC full face helmet I have now has been just fine (as far as I know) but doesn't seem to exist at least in my size anymore.

The dirt bike helmet, I get it - you crash more often and I understand the need for keeping an up to date and having a solid lid in the equipment stash. Any chance someone has had experience with the HJC Bella Donna lid?

I am talking about two different helmets and two different purchases. Not trying to combine the uses.

p.s. I will entertain any other options/suggestions but I seriously do have a peanut head. Most x-small are still too big, have found youth helmets to be lacking in substance.
DirtGrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
for the road schuberth makes a woman's helmet that is supposedly made to be a better fit on a woman's head. they also make an XXS small helmet in both the C3 modular or the S2 full face. i switched from a shoei RF1000/arai quantum to my current C3 and couldn't be happier. although they are expensive, $699 i believe i paid, it is hands down the best helmet i have ever owned.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,257
I have a CL-5X. It's comfy, fits well, and provides good vision.

I have an HJC head as I've worn multiple versions of the CL street series, as well. I wear an XS HJC but a S in other brands (like Scorpion). If you wear an XXS HJC, you might want to try an XS in another brand.

I've tried on a bunch of Shoei helmets and they just don't fit my head. If you haven't tried on Shoei helmets, do it just to make sure your head type fits. I almost ripped my head off my body trying to get the C3W (women's version) off. It was that painful. And I actually was ready to pony up the cash.

Good luck in your search!

Scoot Commute: Getting to and from work on 10 inch wheels
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,736
I use HJC and Arai helmets, but I have a larger head. I've not tried any of the models you have. Shoei helmets don't fit me at all. If you have access to a larger store, try on as many as you can. What sounds good online doesn't always feel good in person.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
I helped a female friend select and order a Shoei RF-1100, I don't recall if it was an XS or an XXS. It is a very nice helmet.

The RF-1100 is the only helmet I know of that is made in 5 different shell sizes. The XS and XXS share a shell mold. If you are slight of build, it helps the helmet look more proportional, is lighter, etc. I have worn serveral generation of RF series helmets. They are nice and fit my head.

I don't know what the options are in your area, but I see closeout helmets cheap in small sizes at places like Motorcycle Superstore's outlet in Lousiville, KY and at Iron Pony in Columbus, OH. I know those might not help you much but... My wife recently picked of a pretty nice Bell dirt helmet for $24 in a small with pink and grey graphics.

Good luck,

Eric
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
DeathWish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I love scropion helmets. They have the safety feature I like and the little luxuries that I love.

They make x-small and their helmets tend to be tight until you break them in. Most people order a size up. I looked at the size chart and the xs is 6 5/8 hat size or 53cm...

If you dont care for graphics here are some for sale at $99. Wish they had my size cause I really want the speedview sun visor... But cant bring myself to spend $300 on a new helmet I do not need yet...
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=11633
DeathWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Head sizes: Circumference and Shape

I feel your pain, girl. I have an XS head, and it took me quite a while to find a helmet that fits. If the International Motorcycle Show is in your area, soon, it's a great place to try on lots of different helmet brands.

I wear an Arai XS because it fits my head shape better. Remember, it's not just about the circumference size of your head, it's also about the shape of your head. I've tried on various Shoei helmets, but my head shape just doesn't fit. Apparently, I do not have a Shoei head.

For example, I tried on the original women's Schueberth helmet, and it produced an unpleasant pressure point in the middle of my forehead. I simply couldn't wear it, but yet none of the men's helmets fit me. I was always in between a size. A friend of mine, who also has a small(is) head, also had problems with the women's helmet. I know that Schueberth is coming out with a new women's helmet, and a new set of interchangeable pads for all their helmets, so hopefully, they've addressed this issue. I wasn't able to try the new helmet on at the IMS, because the dealer didn't have any in stock.

HJC is a good brand. My first helmet was an HJC, but the Arai fit me so much better. I've heard good things about the Nexx helmets, too. Supposedly a wider field of peripheral vision than any other helmet out there. I've not been able to find this helmet at a dealer nearby.

Good luck with your search! Let us know what you decide.
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
I tried on the original women's Schueberth helmet, and it produced an unpleasant pressure point in the middle of my forehead.
all Schuberth helmets will do that until they break in. once mine broke in i can honestly say it is the most comfortable helmet i have ever had. while it was breaking in, i cursed it on a daily basis
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Try an Arai Signet Q which is the replacement for the old "profile" if you are prone to the forehead pressure point. It's the only helmet my wife likes.

I don't know about other makes, but Arai has specific shapes and specific shells for each size.

The signet q is a long oval shape, common in women.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
DirtGrlll OP
Positively Motocyclic

Oddometer: 404
Thanks for all the input - I really miss the days of Brockton Cycle's huge inventory...my two current HJC helmets were tried on and bought at the "no one ever needs a XXS" price!

I pulled the trigger on both the Shoei and the HJC. I will report back with my results but still appreciate any further comments in case my search needs to continue.
DirtGrlll is offline   Reply With Quote