Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #7351
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
(I find it humorous that a motorcycle forum reply window indicates that "Carbureted" is spelled incorrectly)...or is that my computer?...I digress.
Off topic, but it's your browser that does the spell checking.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #7352
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
I will never use a vehicle to that extreme extent. Just not what I like to do, so maybe it'll be OK. My first foray into KTM, and I think I got a good one from an inmate here. Fingers crossed.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #7353
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Off topic, but it's your browser that does the spell checking.

yeah, figured as much. its probably setup on the Klingon dictionary or something obscure.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #7354
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I will never use a vehicle to that extreme extent. Just not what I like to do, so maybe it'll be OK. My first foray into KTM, and I think I got a good one from an inmate here. Fingers crossed.

Always keep in mind that forums are the place where people come to find the solutions to problems...or complain about them. All the people who have good bikes don't come on to report how great things are going. And there is a huge body of knowledge on this site and others for this bike and the variants of it. If you have a problem don't panic because its likely not that big of a deal. The best thing you can do is to try and learn the theory behind how these machines work and how the EFI works. This may help you out if you have an issue on the road some time.

Biggest thing you can do right now is go to all of your electrical connectors and put a small amount of dielectric grease on them...I stress small..to much can actually impede the electrical flow.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #7355
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Things I hate about my 690 ER

I hate that the rear tire wears out so quickly!!!

Maybe if it stopped spinning it might last longer, but that's not gonna happen.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #7356
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Quote:
Always keep in mind that forums are the place where people come to find the solutions to problems...or complain about them. All the people who have good bikes don't come on to report how great things are going. And there is a huge body of knowledge on this site and others for this bike and the variants of it. If you have a problem don't panic because its likely not that big of a deal. The best thing you can do is to try and learn the theory behind how these machines work and how the EFI works. This may help you out if you have an issue on the road some time.

Biggest thing you can do right now is go to all of your electrical connectors and put a small amount of dielectric grease on them...I stress small..to much can actually impede the electrical flow.
Already been done. And yes, this isn't my first moto-forum so I understand the nature of these things. I'll keep lurking to listen and learn. Might have something useful I've learned over the years to boot. Never can tell.
'11 WR250R
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #7357
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
I had an interesting problem a couple years ago on my 690. I was on a long solo trail ride and I was going down a long hill and at some point I stabbed the front brake the and bike stalled. I hit the start button and the bike cranked but didn't fire. Because it was a fuel injected bike I decided nothing could be done and that bike is now sitting at the bottom of a ravine here in Vermont.

Acutally I wiggled the ignition switch...cycled the switch on and off and noticed that the instrument cluster didnt do anything. Then I popped the seat off and checked the fuses...found the injection/cluster fuse was blown and I had 2 spares...replaced the fuse and fired back up...rode 100 feet...hit the front brake again and blew another fuse . I then coasted down the mountain until i rolled out to the highway. I inserted my last fuse and realized the one connecting factor was something around the front brake. So I rode home and didn't touch the front brake. When I got home I could not duplicate the problem. I looked through the wiring harness and found some cracked wires in the front loom...repaired those and figured that was it. A week later I went for another ride and about 20 miles from home I had the same problem. replaced my fuse, turned around, and rode home...avoiding front brake.

So fuses blow because they overload on current...when you short 2 wires together your current goes infinite...hence blown fuse...so somewhere I figured there was a short. It only happened when I applied the front brake hard and the bike dove down in front. So I started inspecting any and all components in the front end that were affected by break dive...it took some time but I finally found a spot where the insulation on the speedo sensor cable had abraded against a metal fitting on the brake line and revealed the 3 wires inside. There is a power, ground, and sensor wire inside the sheath and as luck would have it the power wire had rubbed through. Every once in a while under hard front braking the power wire would rub against the fitting on the stainless front brake line which would short out the sensor through the instrument cluster and blow the fuse....which also killed the bike because the injection was on the same fuse.
I had a similar issue with a 1959 Ducati 175cc. Pulled the clutch in...giant backfire...launched the muffler tip about 100 yards...and died. After several of these episodes, I pulled the gas tank and found that the clutch cable was pushing the coil wire against the frame and grounding thru a bare spot on the wire..
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #7358
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I had a similar issue with a 1959 Ducati 175cc. Pulled the clutch in...giant backfire...launched the muffler tip about 100 yards...and died. After several of these episodes, I pulled the gas tank and found that the clutch cable was pushing the coil wire against the frame and grounding thru a bare spot on the wire..
I keep getting a hilarious mental picture of this.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #7359
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
While I'm not gonna toss out some silly argument that all bikes have issues. The fact is the 690 has had more then it's share of issues, but most in the early stages. I honestly feel that they rushed the bike into production and it shows. Now that being said, it is also happens to be one of the funniest, most enjoyable bikes I've ever owned. When it comes down to it I can easily live with the issues, and mine's suffered through just about every reported one.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #7360
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I keep getting a hilarious mental picture of this.
One of those episodes occured at a red light. When the light changed and I pulled the clutch in, it backfired and blew the muffler tip into the windshield of a Deputy Sheriff that was sitting behind me at the intersection....he wasn't amused...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #7361
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
I'd like to remind everyone that we are only a small number of all 690 riders here.

I have not had any problems with my bike and thinking all 690 have the same problems as posted here is just crazy ;)

If you have problems though this is the place to go!

Flashing oil light is often due to bad sensor (comon problem with the -12)

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #7362
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
One of those episodes occured at a red light. When the light changed and I pulled the clutch in, it backfired and blew the muffler tip into the windshield of a Deputy Sheriff that was sitting behind me at the intersection....he wasn't amused...
Wow! Too funny!!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #7363
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzispete View Post
Here you go -included nuts, bolts, flashers and wiring as I don't know what you have already

54814025200 FLASHER CPL. FR.L/S RE.R/S Qty 1
54814026200 FLASHER CPL. FR.R/S RE.L/S Qty 1
49011435100 BULB 12V 5W (W2,1X9,5D) PHIL. Qty 1
76511078000 WIRING HARN. LIC. PLATE ILLUM. Qty 1
44111015100 BULB 12V 10W (BA15S) Qty 2
0081250181 SCREW FOR PLASTIC 50 X 18 T20 Qty 1
58414030000 HEX HEAD COLLAR NUT M10 X 1, 25 WS=13 Qty 2
76511076000 WIRING HARNESS FLASHER REAR Qty 1
0017060203 EJOT PT SCREW K60X20 WS=6 Qty 4
75014047000 LICENSE PLATE ILLUMINATION Qty 1
0433100003 WASHER 18 X 10,5 X 1,6 Qty 2
0797100003 LOCK WASHER DIN6797-J10,5 ZI Qty 2
0017060303 PANEL SCREW T60 6 X 30MM Qty 2
76508016050 NUMBER PLATE LO. PART Qty 1
0025080256 TX/HEX HEAD BOLT M8 X 25MM Qty 4
76508016000 NUMBER PLATE CARRIER TOP Qty 1

Excellent many thanks..

fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #7364
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Ok, Said this back in 08 when I got my bike and when we 690 pioneers started working through all these issues and sorting out the problems.

With respect, you may have sorted out your particular problems, but the problems associated with 690s per se appear to be far from sorted ...
Quote:
Up until 08 most KTM shops sold carbureted (I find it humorous that a motorcycle forum reply window indicates that "Carbureted" is spelled incorrectly) ...

It is – you need two ts ...
Quote:
So they sold relatively simple mechanical machines that had a couple of wires for the charging system and some simple lights. many of these dealers were forced to sell a limited number of the big 950 adventure bikes and many of those dealer mechanics had no clue how to work on them ... many horror stories of dealer repairs gone wrong on those 950's ... which were in reality just big simple dirt bikes. Now we quite literally jump into fuel injection ... a paradigm shift in technology and for the long term traditional motorcycle mechanic a bit of a mystery. Repairing a fuel injected vehicle is not magic. It is all about learning proper trouble shooting skills, reading wiring schematics, and following logical methods of locating the problem.

Your observations about 'simple mechanical machines' are not true at all - the 950s went beautifully for the people here I know who ran them – and a few who still run them - ditto the 625 SXC and 640 Adventure - all good solid (and fixable) bikes - and all very good performance - the 625 and 950 are only marginally off today’s specs and pace - in fact, the 625 probably has better pickup and a better gearbox than the 690 IMHO - older suspension of course ...

Fuel injection certainly improves fuel economy, but the complexity doesn't by definition lead to a better bike ...

Especially if you're after an ADV bike ...

Quote:
So you have a flickering oil light and the bike is fuel injected ... doesn't mean that its a complete loss because no one could possibly find the issue with all those wires. It is entirely possible that you have a couple of mechanics who are at this very minute being forced into a crash course with KTM efi trouble shooting and may for the first time be learning what a DVOM is or a wire probe. In many ways EFI is a lot easier to trouble shoot. You have these nice colour coded wires that connect everything...you have nice outputs on computer control boxes, you have a ton of ways to check things out. You don't have a bunch of passages in a mechanical box that may or may not be clogged...etc.

We are fortunate here in having a long-time KTM dealership with mechanics who have been working on these bikes since they were introduced – there is only one older KTM dealership in Australia ...

My point to someone a few pages back was that 690s are very complex bikes – and in my case an issue has arisen under warranty that continues to fox experienced mechanics and the tech mob at KTM Australia – if we can fix the issue (and I expect we will eventually) then the bike may prove reliable – but is it a good ADV bike?

The jury is out on that one, IMO – complexity isn’t necessarily what you want – at this point I admit I would probably prefer a mint condition 625 SXC – similar specs to the 690, but SIMPLE and easily fixable ...

Hoots screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 02:02 PM
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #7365
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Thumb

The BMW's I've had over the years have grown in electronic complexity greatly. Same thing as the Ducati's. My Multistrada is one complex piece of two wheels. Learning the switch gear language is like learning switchology in an F-16....you're playing a piccolo. The latest BMW's have all had FI that seems to work quite well. I personally have had no issues in the last 10 bikes and maybe 250,000 miles. Of course what I haven't done is dip them in mud as Seth relates. I use them, however. And I know the difference between use and abuse so I suspect I will get along just fine with my '10 690ER.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860069
Anyway, I should finally have it next week. It will be in competition with my F8GS as an adventure bike. And by that I mean, a bike I can get lost in the mountains on 2000 miles from home and expect not to be bear food. So, all the better dirt attributes of the KTM will have to be matched by dead nuts reliability when I go on my annual adventure ride or it will end up just being an expensive stay near home DRZ. We shall see. Good to read all the experiences and fixes folks have had though.
'11 WR250R