User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #256
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I'd do gift cards for Jesse's or Molly's or something. That way they are taking their spouse/gf out for less out of pocket and will get them laid. Goes much further than $50 cash.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #257
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,939
Went out and took some pictures today. Snow is covering the roof, but I'm sure it won't stay for long.

I also plowed 2 inches of snow from the driveway. Couldn't help myself, but it was good to give it a whirl before the real snow flies tomorrow night.

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #258
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Went out and took some pictures today. Snow is covering the roof, but I'm sure it won't stay for long.

I also plowed 2 inches of snow from the driveway. Couldn't help myself, but it was good to give it a whirl before the real snow flies tomorrow night.

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012

From December 25, 2012
Your choice of steel floor joists is bang on! Do you have the name of the manufacturer?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #259
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Steel trusses are by Hambro, which is a division of Canam Steel.

Happy with the quality, but don't give them a penny without a delivery date guaranteed in the contract.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #260
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Steel trusses are by Hambro, which is a division of Canam Steel.

Happy with the quality, but don't give them a penny without a delivery date guaranteed in the contract.
Looking good A! Very nice to have it dried in before nasty weather. Looks like we might get a storm tomorrow into Thursday.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #261
BADDAD
" Bitter Clinger "

Oddometer: 310
Nice looking build! You guys got a great looking house on great looking lot. Congratulations

PLAN B SUCKS

When you don't know what you are doing you might as well do it quickly
BADDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #262
small_e_900
Amanda carried it

Oddometer: 1,591
As I stoke the wood stove and fill the pellet stove and worry about how much oil I'm using, I wonder how much it will cost to heat your well-built, well insulated house.

Probably a whole heck of a lot less than my 1790's, leaks-like-a-sieve monster.
small_e_900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #263
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by small_e_900 View Post
As I stoke the wood stove and fill the pellet stove and worry about how much oil I'm using, I wonder how much it will cost to heat your well-built, well insulated house.

Probably a whole heck of a lot less than my 1790's, leaks-like-a-sieve monster.
As I sit in my new Wheel estate, in my driveway, running off of the house current, I wonder the same thing. The wind is howling outside like a damned banshee, it's 28 degrees out there, according to my thermometer. We have an oil filled radiator heater and it keeps us at 65 quite nicely.

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #264
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Still making progress, but not much that's worthy of a picture. Most of the interior framing is done, and we've almost completed the wiring on the third level. I started hanging cans on the main level the other day.

We've had sub zero temperatures and without heat working is pretty miserable. I know the crew took the last two days off to work in their shop- they just sent me a picture (via text) of the trim brackets they made. They are made of fir and in the pictures they look pretty sharp.

The heat is scheduled to go in late next week, but I'm sure it'll get delayed. The heat guy is probably running around like crazy fixing people's problems.

The plumber is due to show up in the next week or two to finish the rough-in.

And of course insulation will happen soon after the upstairs wiring, etc is done.

I'll take a few pictures this weekend when we wrap up the wiring. The electrician takes pride in doing neat work. What he's done so far is nice to look at- it's a shame it's getting covered up.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #265
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,773
Gonna look nice when you're done. Just gotta get the heat on first
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #266
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,703
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #267
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by grainbelt View Post
+1

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #268
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
+1

Gimme a few minutes....
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #269
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Here's a narrative, pictures are uploading now and will be posted in a bit.

Slow and steady is what we've been experiencing.

The GC's crew has completed interior framing and little details here and there. A giant built in medicine cabinet in the master bathroom (basically just using the wall cavity between the bathroom and bedroom). A bookshelf built into one of the walls next to the kitchen. A coat hanging nook in the stairwell going down into the basement. Those kinds of things.

The plumber has started his stuff and did all the venting in the attic the other day.

The electrician is a good friend of mine and we've been working on that together. He's charging me peanuts and he's anal, so it's turning out great. We're putting a sub panel on each floor to minimize home run lengths, and that's turning out to be a good decision. We had the third story wired in 2 days. We're working on the main level now and already kinda started moving into the basement.

We hired an A/V guy to wire the house for whole house audio and phone/data/etc. He's been doing that and we're pretty excited to have music all over the place including on the deck.

As soon as we finished upstairs the insulators blew in cellulose in the attic and upper walls that are not concrete. It was pretty amazing the difference that made. The house is stunningly quiet now and it's holding heat like a bastard. Just a little salamander heater in the basement at the moment and it barely runs. The crew tends to leave a door open for running in and out and that's really the only heat loss we're seeing.

They're currently working on exterior trim and siding is soon to follow.

We just visited with our cabinet maker friend and he's just about done with our kitchen. THEY. ARE. BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to see them in place.

We decided to do a clear fir ceiling in the living room and dining room. I wanted to do it for the entire first floor until we got the quote.

I'm gearing up to get rolling on the concrete countertops and pre-staining the decking, which has been sitting in our living room for far too long, but we couldn't do it without heat.

For heat we are going with a Buderus (spelling?) boiler with 2 tanks. One tank will run the domestic and one the heat. The domestic tank is a dual coil so we can easily upgrade to solar thermal somewhere down the road. It is not a super-high efficiency boiler, but both the GC and heating guy recommended this "work horse" for it's long term reliability over the more expensive and temperamental models. They both said that our efficiency comes in having a super insulated tight home. Makes sense.

Our GC has been amazing. The quality of work is amazing and we are UNDER budget. That won't be the case for long because we changed a few things in the plumbing department (as in added another bathroom after his original quote) and added a few things in the kitchen as well. Either way, but the end of this project I doubt we'll be more than 3% over if any at all.

Pictures to follow if I don't fall asleep on the couch.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #270
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Just uploaded some photos. I'm disappointed- a lot of them are really blurry and the ones of our cabinets are gone.

But here's a few:

Insulation!
From February 19, 2013

I didn't know these photos were taken. I hate having my picture taken. I was holding up the fir brackets they made to see how they'd look. They are part of the exterior trim. I am attempting to grow my hair to donate it, which is why I look like a ragamuffin.
From February 19, 2013

From February 19, 2013

This is what we sent out for a Christmas card this year. It was actually a New Years card because we procrastinated.
From February 19, 2013

Our upstair sub panel. The electrician is very neat.
From February 19, 2013

Again- sorry for lack of pictures. I'll try to get some more by the weekend.

And for those of you that have shown an interest just want to extend an invitation to visit. Just send a PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: