Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #1591
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamebrain View Post
I'm a little confused ,do you have piston with the 16mm pin or the 18mm pin? I'm pretty sure Wossner has the B, C, and D piston kits still available for the 16mm.
From what Paynes Cycle has told me, the piston kits that they got from Wossner, are the proper main diameter for the 280 TXT, BUT the Diameter for the pin (holding to con rod) is 18mm.

My piston, and as far as I know, any TXT engine (non PRO) has 16mm Pin Diameter.

It makes no sense to me. I suppose I can myself call up Wossner and ask what the deal is.

Looking at the Wossner site, the piston they list for a 2001 TXT280 is: 8144DA They say it fits 1999-2011. It lists the pin as: WP033, which is an 18mm pin.

Something ain't jiving.

EDIT - Just got off the phone with Wossner. I was informed that they were the ones who did the OEM pistons for GasGas. I was told they have 2 different pin hole diameters. Unfortunately he was setting up for at a trade show, so couldn't get me all the info. Time for me to call up Paynes & make sure they don't mod a piston, but get the correct one.

EDIT 2 - Just to clarify, I have not seen a single thing in my hands. I called Paynes 3-4 weeks ago, and was told he had some Wossner pistons that were for the 280, but would work for my bike as the 270\280 cylinder castings were the same and the 270 could be bored to be cleaned up. Paynes finally got the cylinder back from boring\plating & when they were picking a new pin bearing for me, found that the piston pin diameter was too large. They said that all the porting & everything else was correct, but they wanted to verify some of the other stuff with my original piston, so they had me send that out (which I shipped out today).

I'll be calling them (Paynes) up to make sure they get the correct piston from Wossner & don't modify the wrong one.

Andrew

andrewgore screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 01:33 PM
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #1592
lamebrain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
From what Paynes Cycle has told me, the piston kits that they got from Wossner, are the proper main diameter for the 280 TXT, BUT the Diameter for the pin (holding to con rod) is 18mm.

My piston, and as far as I know, any TXT engine (non PRO) has 16mm Pin Diameter.

It makes no sense to me. I suppose I can myself call up Wossner and ask what the deal is.

Looking at the Wossner site, the piston they list for a 2001 TXT280 is: 8144DA They say it fits 1999-2011. It lists the pin as: WP033, which is an 18mm pin.

Something ain't jiving.

EDIT - Just got off the phone with Wossner. I was informed that they were the ones who did the OEM pistons for GasGas. I was told they have 2 different pin hole diameters. Unfortunately he was setting up for at a trade show, so couldn't get me all the info. Time for me to call up Paynes & make sure they don't mod a piston, but get the correct one.

EDIT 2 - Just to clarify, I have not seen a single thing in my hands. I called Paynes 3-4 weeks ago, and was told he had some Wossner pistons that were for the 280, but would work for my bike as the 270\280 cylinder castings were the same and the 270 could be bored to be cleaned up. Paynes finally got the cylinder back from boring\plating & when they were picking a new pin bearing for me, found that the piston pin diameter was too large. They said that all the porting & everything else was correct, but they wanted to verify some of the other stuff with my original piston, so they had me send that out (which I shipped out today).

I'll be calling them (Paynes) up to make sure they get the correct piston from Wossner & don't modify the wrong one.

Andrew
I dont know if you talked price with the guys at Wossner, but I would buy the piston directly from them if they have what you need. It's half the price, for the same exact one!
lamebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #1593
andrewgore
Team MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamebrain View Post
I dont know if you talked price with the guys at Wossner, but I would buy the piston directly from them if they have what you need. It's half the price, for the same exact one!
The piston kit I got from the shop was the same price listed on the Wossner site. If you have a direct hookup to the proper piston for 80$, let me know and I'll call them up right now & have my cylinder shipped right to me.

Andrew
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #1594
lamebrain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
No, I was talking about the Wossner price compared to the OEM price.
lamebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #1595
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,442
I have a low hour 2012 GG that I would sell to you. A lot less hassle than you're going through and probably just about the same money, once you're done screwing around. But I know how Moose and you love to tear apart bikes.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #1596
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 784
Family Play day

Had 6 or so hours of fun with the family. :)

My daughters first trials bike a beta 80. She learned the clutch in one day, heck she was as close to a natural as I have ever seen, she was able to use the clutch with little explanation and had it down in 2 or 3 tries... WOW! She started standing on the bike by around 45 min of riding.

We found the stock bars a bit big for here so swapped them for a small set I had just in case. I twas well worth it and think she would have done even better if I had put them on right from the start.

What a great day! (A video of some of the fun.)

jonnyc21 screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 05:25 PM Reason: Fixed Video
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #1597
andrewgore
Team MGH

Just got the following message from Wossner Pistons:

"...I have spoken with Tobias the owner of the company and he has said that the piston with the 18mm pin is the only one we carry, the piston that has the 16mm pin is for the TXT250...."

Looks like custom piston mods it is. Time to call up Paynes.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #1598
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
jonnyc21
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #1599
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Thumb Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroone View Post
jonnyc21
Doesn't get to much better than family outings on trials bikes... maybe family outings to a local trials event!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #1600
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Puke ... burrs in my britches....

So...got to go work on the setup for the Tilton Trials all day Saturday. Had a BLAST!!

Of course, being a mile or so out into the woods, there isn't exactly easy access to a porta-potty. So, I rode off a bit from our work crew, found a secluded space, made SURE there was no poison ivy or other nasty monsters in the area, and, well, "dropped drawer".

Unfortunately, the section I'd been last working in was covered in stickers and burrs, and i hadn't noticed the burrs that had gotten stuck all up the side of my riding pants and my sweatshirt, even the inside of my open coat. Not noticed, that is, until I attempted to pull up my Football Pads Shorts I wear for protection ... and found them scraping all up the outside of both legs... it seems the stickers from the inside of the coat and other areas had rolled quite nicely onto the inside of the shorts and were well secured there.

I spent the rest of the afternoon periodically pulling burrs and other stickers out of the inside of my shorts!! (Thanks heavens it was at least down the outside of the thigh and not somewhere, er... more sensitive!!)
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #1601
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Eek outch... sorry to hear that...

Not fun, sorry that you had to deal with that, amcross.

Nice that you are looking at the glass half full in the sense it wasn't worse. I hope you where able to finaly get all of them out of your gear.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #1602
andrewgore
Team MGH

The GasGas should be back in operation this weekend

Now if only it wouldn't be snowy

Andrew
Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #1603
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,442
So how much is this bike worth now?
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #1604
andrewgore
Team MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
So how much is this bike worth now?
It's worth about another 50$ after my findings last night.

Found out last night that the 270 & 280 heads were different. 280 piston interferes with the 270 head. On the upside, there was a 280 head on ebay.

Andrew
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #1605
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Went shopping

eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote