Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Bought a fairly cheapo street bike up here last summer. But for me what bike I ride is not to big a deal. Went through it, fork seals ect. Rode to Las Vegas in September. Took a week or so winding my way down. Left it in the garage of a friend of a friend. Flew to Vancouver for about $300 and wife picked me up. We both flew down after Christmas cost $600 aprox. Rode through Arizona, New Mexico and into Texas. Storage unit by the airport ended up $112 for three months. Was only about $475 for both of us to fly back from Austin.
Traveling one way only on the bike gives way more time for exploring and weather. Also if flexable time wise you get to pick the best cities to fly home from for your time frame. In May a one way ticket from Bellingham WA to Austin is only $128 one way. With a little effort you could blow that on a barstool in a night or two.
Not for everyone of course but gives a bit of an idea of prices. Depends also on what they charge you to cancel your insurance in Ontario.
Good food for thought BCB. Thanks.

I like the idea of leaving the bikes in storage where ever they end up. Like Doc Rock and LDF do for the epic Mobius ride. Except nothing so epic

In 2011, Wifey & I flew to BC, rented two 250cc duals sports for a 4 day tour. Bikes rental was $1,300 with tax & insurance. Based on that, leaving a couple cheap thumpers down South sounds like a bargain. Thinking $4k to $5k to purchase and do initial service on 2 used bikes. US insurance is probably 1/10 what we would pay here.

I don't want to be locked into a specific place. Did the cottage thing for a few years, and it was wonderful, but now that's done. I like the idea of going where ever the mood takes us. Coastal GA, panhandle of FL, Southwest USA. I'm (hopefully) 5-6 years from retirement, so looking forward to escaping Ontario in mid-winter for a month or so, to someplace warmer and different. Just accommodation cheap rentals, no home / condo ownership in the plans.

I am enjoying this day-riding blog from RedRockRider: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #17
Brit711
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
A 1200 GSA in Ontario costs $100 or more per month x 12 months. ON has the highest insurance rates in the country. Do you mean you pay $300 / year?
YES that's for the year... however in QC the registration every year is $650+ AND we have to renew the drivers licence every year ! My old UK licence, expires when I am 70... a one-off payment... which I made back in about '84 ! (although they have since changed over to "card-type") but still free to renew I believe. Oh yes ... the cost in '84 was under $100
Brit711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
As usual . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
If that were the case U-haul wouldn't have any trucks left. Every time I rent a moving truck it has Arizona plates on it.
. . . it ain't simple.

From the CBSA - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-4-1-eng.pdf

GUIDELINES AND GENERAL INFORMATION
Residents of Canada
1. Residents of Canada may operate conveyances on which duty and taxes have not been paid in Canada only in accordance with the terms and conditions of tariff item No. 9802.00.00 and the regulations made pursuant thereto.
Note: Under certain conditions of tariff Item 9993.00.00, residents of Canada may temporarily import a United States (U.S.)-based rental vehicle for non-commercial purposes. Please see Paragraph 10 for complete details.

Applicable tariff - http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/reg...or-82-840.html

TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF IMPORTATION OF CONVEYANCES

3. A conveyance may be imported if,

(a) the conveyance, while in Canada is to be used solely for the transportation of a resident and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada directly to a specified destination in Canada and from the specified destination to a destination outside Canada;

(b) in the case of a commuter, the conveyance while in Canada is to be used for the personal transportation of the commuter and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada to specified destinations in Canada and from a specified destination in Canada to a destination in the United States;

(c) in the case of a resident other than a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported only for the purpose of transporting his household or personal effects into or out of Canada, or for personal transportation as a result of an emergency or unforeseen contingency;

(d) in the case of a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported for the purpose of personal transportation of the commuter and accompanying persons between his place of residence in Canada and a point in the United States or for the purpose of visiting clients in Canada on behalf of his employer;

(e) the conveyance is not to be used in Canada for the purpose of

(i) touring or other leisure activity,

(ii) carrying passengers or goods for hire or reward,

(iii) transporting goods for sale, or

(iv) soliciting sales or subscriptions on behalf of an employer who operates a business in Canada;

(f) at the time of importation, the person importing the conveyance specifies to the customs officer the date on which the person intends to export the conveyance from Canada; and

(g) the conveyance is exported from Canada within the time limit specified in section 5.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,992
Quote:
A 1200 GSA in Ontario costs $100 or more per month x 12 months. ON has the highest insurance rates in the country. Do you mean you pay $300 / year?
You might want to talk to people in Sask, Manitoba, and BC if you think you are paying high insurance now!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 320
I bought a bike in AZ several years ago. I got Arizona plates and phoned my insurance agent in Canada who insured it for me and emailed me the insurance card.
Keep in mind I live in Alberta where we deal with private not government insurance companies.

Ended up importing the bike to Canada.

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #21
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
You might want to talk to people in Sask, Manitoba, and BC if you think you are paying high insurance now!
Greater Toronto has the highest rates in Canada. It can only get better.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #22
trixterNorCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
I just titled and put regi on a bike in AZ. Used Alberta license. No problem.
That works in some places but in others insurance can be a problem. Some insurance companies do not insure out of state licenses from where the vehicle is registered and tagged. Insurance is also higher in many cases if you have an out of state license.

Most (all?) of Canada and most the US both participate in the DMV network. Participation in this network means traffic violations in a foreign area are to be counted against your license as if you committed the offense at home. This means that speeding tickets in the US can affect your canadian license. If you get a traffic ticket that is not an offense back home then no penalty is assessed (usually called points, honestly I dont know how canada does that).

Finally some US states require by law that you get a license in that state (citizenship is not required) if you reside there. Residency is defined separately by each state. dmv.org has more details on each state, although it is not an official government website it tends to be fairly accurate. California for instance requires you to transfer your license to California within 2 weeks of moving here. It becomes much harder to explain why you have a Canadian license but a locally registered vehicle in your name, and you can be cited for failure to get a license here.

In many instances the only thing you have to do is pay about $20 and take a written test. Depending on the exact state you may also have to take a driving test which usually is only a few minutes long. The US does not require a driving school. I know in California the 2nd most failed written test is the motorcycle one with hazmat having a higher failure rate. The road test is in a parking lot only and is cake to pass. I guess what I am getting at is if you are going to register a vehicle here it doesnt seem like it is that difficult to also get a license, unless you need to keep your canadian one for some reason.
trixterNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #23
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am pretty sure one cannot have 2 drivers licenses in Canada or US. When I moved to Ontario, I had to turn in my Massachusetts license.

Otherwise one could rack up tickets on a "throw-away" license.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
We ride our bikes to AZ in October and leave them for the winter and ride back in June.

I have a K1200 LT which I purchased from Tucson, insured and registered in AZ, no problem, insurance is a lot less expensive. In the spring I will probably ride it back and import it int Canada, have "Vehicle Inquiry Report".

The other bike the HD which I bring back is insured and registered with an Alberta Plate.

One thing you should check into is the length of time you can have as a Canadian insured and registered vehicle in the US as a Non Resident, last fall the US Border Agent asked how long was I intending to leave the bike in the US , I thought about his question and answered a couple of months, he went on to say that I could only have the bike in the US for six months if I was not importing it, otherwise i may be penalized for making a false statement. I did not check further into this as I had forgotten, I may know as this post reminded me of it.

In Arizona you have to register your out of country/state vehicle after 6 months residence.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
kirbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunssd View Post
Is it still the law that riding/ driving a US plated vehicle in Canada by a resident of Canada with a Canadian driver's licence can result in forfeiture of the vehicle? I'm fairly sure it used to be that way.
My buddy street plates his KTM EXC in NY and gets his insurance there and rides it in both Canada and US. You have to pay the tax at the border and just keep the receipt that you get with you. This allows you to go back an forth across the border with out a problem. Mind you since it's a dirt bike. when ever we cross, it's in a trailer, so I'm not sure what they do if you're riding across. He only did this because he bought an 08 five years ago and wasn't able to import it because of the stupid RIV admissible rules....only 07 and older are admissible, and I still don't think that list has been updated in five years! He's done it with two bikes since then. He also had to pay the tax on his American stepson's plated minibike in order for him to bring it into Canada to ride.

I'll be purchasing a street legal dirt bike in California in the near future. I'll plate it and insure it there, and I'll be leaving it there. It doesn't make sense to pay $500 to ship my bike there every year. The money I'll save will buy me another plane ticket so I can go out twice.
01 KTM 200 MXC

kirbike screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 08:52 AM
kirbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,992
Quote:
Greater Toronto has the highest rates in Canada. It can only get better.
But I moved from Manitoba to Ontario so I could afford to insure my bikes!

It was gonna cost me about $7k a year there.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #27
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnewbie View Post
he went on to say that I could only have the bike in the US for six months if I was not importing it,
I was looking into riding my CDN registered bike to the US and leaving it for up to a couple of years, flying back and forth to ride it then bringing it back. My insurance company told me the same thing... 6 months max then they will no longer cover it so it would have to be imported to the US formally or it has to come back. FWIW
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
But I moved from Manitoba to Ontario so I could afford to insure my bikes!

It was gonna cost me about $7k a year there.
I agree. My 09 KLX250 in Manitoba is about $1100.00 for this year and my 10 KLR650 is about $1300.00. We have to pay about 90% of M/C coverage over the 5 month riding season, not evenly over the whole year.

Am looking forward to retirement in Ontario.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
My brother has been living in PA for about 5 years now and has not gotten US citizenship yet. He did get US plates and a US license shortly after moving and he does come back to Canada with his vehicles. In fact, he sold his Canadian car in the US and bought a new vehicle there because he was the only person in the whole city with rust on his car. Imagine living in a world where cars don't rust.

I think he had to get letters from the manufacturers of his car and bike to state they met US safety requirements.

Steve
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #30
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Can a Canadian resident own and insure a bike in the US?

Wondering if one could buy and leave a bike at a relative's or friend's, or in a storage unit, with a local license plate & insurance. This would be while having a Canadian drivers license and permanent address. Bikes and insurance are so cheap there, I'm day-dreaming about leaving a cheap dual-sport someplace warm, to ride for a few weeks during the snowy season here.

Anyone with experience on this?

My buddy who lives here in Vancouver has owned a U.S. registered Suzuki DZR400 on Maui for 5 yrs now. Not an issue at all.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote