Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #15916
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
Two questions: 800 XC

1. What grade fuel are you guys using? I'm in Ga, not high altitude.

2. (warning dumb question ahead) Does anyone here use their Tiger 800 as an every day vehicle?

I'm planning on an 800 XC this spring but with the recent price in fuel has me thinking about the purchase much sooner. I drive about 22k per year and I could really save some money on fuel using the Tiger as opposed to my 4runner. I'm no stranger to riding in adverse weather and I'm sure with the proper gear, cold/rain isnt much of a problem. I will need to buy all new gear as I have not owned a street bike in about 7yrs.

What say you?
1. Just regular, cheapest I can find usually.

2. It's my only vehicle. My Tiger XC and I are buddies, we go everywhere together.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #15917
Hulley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
1. Just regular, cheapest I can find usually.

2. It's my only vehicle. My Tiger XC and I are buddies, we go everywhere together.
Thats what I want to hear! I've been by the Triumph dealer a few time recently and been dreaming about the XC, it will be mine!
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #15918
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:

2. (warning dumb question ahead) Does anyone here use their Tiger 800 as an every day vehicle?

I'm planning on an 800 XC this spring but with the recent price in fuel has me thinking about the purchase much sooner. I drive about 22k per year and I could really save some money on fuel using the Tiger as opposed to my 4runner. I'm no stranger to riding in adverse weather and I'm sure with the proper gear, cold/rain isnt much of a problem. I will need to buy all new gear as I have not owned a street bike in about 7yrs.

What say you?
I believe Rob Dirt also uses his XC as his primary vehicle. As far as fuel goes, I run super through her about evry fourth or fifth tank. Don't have a reason other than I have in my mind that she deserves a shot of the good stuff from time to time.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #15919
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
I'm planning on an 800 XC this spring but with the recent price in fuel has me thinking about the purchase much sooner. I drive about 22k per year and I could really save some money on fuel using the Tiger as opposed to my 4runner.
You'd have to really calculate it through whether this makes any sense. It's not just fuel consumption that has to be factored in, but the more regular and possibly more expensive services on the bike, you need tires much more often (might even out with the more expensive ones for the car, but I doubt it, I get normally around 40k on a set of car tires, 5 to 6k from the bike), the overall mileage and value hit you take is harder on the bike than on the car, you'll go through some expensive riding gear in a much shorter time, and so on.

So, to make this short: of course it's possible, whether it makes financial sense is a question that's much harder to answer and depends on the real cost you have for your car. I doubt I could use my bike cheaper than my A4.

But the other factor is lifestyle - meaning you might be happier when commuting on the bike and in some areas you safe time (commuter lane use, lane splitting). But you're also less safe. You'll have to balance all that for yourself.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #15920
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:

What say you?
1. 87 octane.

2. I use the 800XC & BMW R1200RT as my everyday vehicle. Yes, you will save fuel compared to your 4Runner. That said, don't forget to factor in tires and maintenance, and I think you may find that the cost savings is not quite as significant as you may believe. It sure is a lot more fun though!
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #15921
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,646
Always premium fuel in all motorcycles. The higher anti-knock compound makes it run cooler which is better for the motor.

My head pipes were turning a nice golden color and after few thousand miles I discovered the motor is rated for low octane so I filled it up with regular. The tops of the pipes and collector then turned blue...I was a little pissed. So no more for me, always premium.

And anything with titanium valves will last WAY longer on premium, even a shot of race gas if you can manage it. I think the XC has steel valves, but will run cooler nonetheless.

I really don't think a bike is cheaper to run than a car except for the gas.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #15922
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You'd have to really calculate it through whether this makes any sense. It's not just fuel consumption that has to be factored in, but the more regular and possibly more expensive services on the bike, you need tires much more often (might even out with the more expensive ones for the car, but I doubt it, I get normally around 40k on a set of car tires, 5 to 6k from the bike), the overall mileage and value hit you take is harder on the bike than on the car, you'll go through some expensive riding gear in a much shorter time, and so on.

So, to make this short: of course it's possible, whether it makes financial sense is a question that's much harder to answer and depends on the real cost you have for your car. I doubt I could use my bike cheaper than my A4.

But the other factor is lifestyle - meaning you might be happier when commuting on the bike and in some areas you safe time (commuter lane use, lane splitting). But you're also less safe. You'll have to balance all that for yourself.
Well put. Actually, I did some calcs a few years ago and it was a wash for me. If you get rid of the car and go only bike you may come out ahead.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #15923
Hulley
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

While I agree 100% I think I'm just trying to convince myself to go ahead and get it, although I didnt think bout tires. I used to go through rears every 4-5k on my other bikes (I rode hard) I thought I would get much better life on an adventure bike with the right tire. TBH its gonna be a lifestyle for me. I've always been a two wheeler and I'm just happy when I'm riding. I just turned 40yrs last month and I feel old, I'm not doing anything that makes me happy and to be honest I'm miserable.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #15924
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
TBH its gonna be a lifestyle for me. I've always been a two wheeler and I'm just happy when I'm riding. I just turned 40yrs last month and I feel old, I'm not doing anything that makes me happy and to be honest I'm miserable.
Then just be honest with yourself - that's what you want, you can either do it or not. But I doubt you'll save much, especially factoring in that you'd have to buy the bike in the first place.

I started riding again when I was 39, just short of 40, so I certainly know what you mean. I've always loved it, but was out for about 9 years.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #15925
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
If it was ALL about money, we would all be driving Geo Metro's...

Commuting is as good an excuse as any to buy a bike, I say GO FOR IT!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #15926
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,475
Quote:

What say you?
Not to put a damper on your thinking but if you think you'll save money riding your bike, I think you're dreaming, a little. Any savings in gas gets eaten up pretty quick in tires and chain/sprockets. Also, unless you sell your truck, you probably still have it insured.

The *only* way to save money riding your bike, is if you can ride year round, and your bike is your *only* vehicle. That's my 2 cents, from someone who tried it.

I just ride as much as I can now and don't think about gas etc. I'm going to ride whatever the bloody price of gas is. If you think gas is expensive, just go ride in Europe for awhile.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #15927
Hulley
Adventurer

The more I think about it, its kinda sad that I even have to come up with an excuse. I want another bike, period. The last thing I want to do is look back and say "I'm glad I didnt buy that bike, I saved a few dollars and had great memories doing it". Pathetic.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #15928
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 421
Quote:

What say you?
I say go for it.

I was using a T800 roadie for everyday transport right through the winter months - admittedly not too severe here, but can get cold and wet.

I have had no issues to date and find general upkeep and maintenance cheaper than a car.

The only reason I REALLY had to use a car was if I had to convey something big and/or bulky that just wouldn't go on a bike..

The only reason I don't commute everyday on a bike now is because I have access to free transport, otherwise I still would be happily riding everywhere. So much more rewarding than driving to work, in my opinion. The worst day commuting on a bike beats a good day stuck in traffic in a car..

I say go ahead, enjoy.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #15929
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
That's certainly got the Castrol beat by about $2 per quart.
Not wanting to start an oil discussion.... But I've been using Mobil 1 for the past six years (longer in the cars) and just did the first oil change in the XC. Saw that Pep Boys has a store coupon (print it out) for all Mobil 1 for $7/qt. (normally about $10/qt). Bought 16 qts...
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #15930
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
(snip)
I'm planning on an 800 XC this spring but with the recent price in fuel has me thinking about the purchase much sooner. I drive about 22k per year and I could really save some money on fuel using the Tiger as opposed to my 4runner. (snip)

What say you?
I don't have Tiger 800 yet, but I've been commuting on motorcycle for 11 years now, 10 years on Sportster and almost a year now on a Monster.

I think I save some fuel by riding my bike and not driving my car to the office ... but in terms of money, I'm not sure if I save any cause I had to buy riding gear, customize my bike to make it comfortable for me, those things adds up real quickly Not to mention that the price of big bikes are more expensive than the average city cars down here.

One thing I know I save, though, is time. Driving to the office takes about 60 minutes to 90 minutes, while riding my bike takes only 30 minutes... and it's fun, refreshing, and no stress at all

I read somewhere, can't remember where I read it or who posted it, about time saved by riding.

The person says something to the effect that the less time he spends in the traffic (when he rides a motorcycle) means he has more time to spend with his family. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, 1000%.

Commuting on my bike and spend less time in traffic jam, each day, I at least have 30-60 more minutes to spend with the wife and daughter, and that is priceless.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote