Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 614
I just sold my 97 Cummins 4x4 5spd. Purchased with 145k sold with 202k.
It was always a second/spare vehicle. The reliable truck we would take on road trips. I drove it about 10k miles per year.
I had very few problems with it. That being said it was still expensive to own.
I do all of my own work and just buying parts gets tiring.

I made my final decision to sell when I had to drive it to work for a couple weeks this winter. Waiting for it to warm up, dealing with it chugging along for the first ten miles and not having much heat for 20 minutes got old quick.

I very much loved driving that truck when we used it for it's intended purpose. Towing cars or machinery was a joy. But honestly if you don't need a truck that size it's not worth the extra cost of ownership.

YMMV
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
Sure, anything rotating within gravitational pull, and in presence of heat and atmosphere is bound to burn out and break... but 6.9L IDI and 7.3L IDI diesels are known for their reliability of components, injection fuel pump, and the engine. The simplicity of older diesel is very appealing. They just don't give up that easy....
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
Thanks to all; diesel is a no go for me. I think the cost and mythical fuel mileage were the nails in the coffin. I appreciate the help!
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Sure, anything rotating within gravitational pull, and in presence of heat and atmosphere is bound to burn out and break... but 6.9L IDI and 7.3L IDI diesels are known for their reliability of components, injection fuel pump, and the engine. The simplicity of older diesel is very appealing. They just don't give up that easy....

We picked up a crew cab F350 dually IDI 7 or 8 years ago for horse hauling duty. The 3/4 ton Chevy with 6.2 diesel & a 700R4 tranny just wasn't cutting it. We wanted shoulder belts for the kid instead of a lap belt. Crew or extra cab was the only way to go.

Had 185k on it when we bought it. 198k on it now. Been pretty low maintenance really. Vacuum pump was out when I bought it. That was fairly cheap ($50 ). Had the rear brakes done...leaky rear cylinder & I didn't want to deal with them. That was $100 labor I think. Well worth it.

I picked up a rebuilt injector pump & 8 injectors a couple/three years ago when Uhaul parts was closing some stuff out. I think it was $250 for all the parts I'm using it as a daily driver right now & it's starting to spit/sputter at startup. Time to use the spare parts I guess. They made it almost 200k though from the factory so it's not all bad
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,352
I'm in an '05 Duramax/Allison Chevy extended cab long bed with a topper every day. Winter mileage is 15mpg, summer is 17. My tires last just fine, I have a set for winter and another set on rims for summer. It is comfy with a shit ton more room than any Toyota (I can't get comfy in a Toyota truck), has twice the power of a gasser, and you can haul heavy loads without even really knowing it's there (got a pallet - 2,520 pounds - of water softener salt pellets, plus the usual complement of tools in the back right now). Had to tow a car hauler to Montana last summer to get my daughter's car and had the same mileage towing that subaru as I did empty at highway speeds... of course I was a bit lighter on the go pedal, but still not below the speed limit...

I pull pretty much all my own maintenance/repairs, so I'm only spending $$$ on parts - which are not cheap. I replaced the head gaskets last year and put out about $2500 for parts and getting the heads cleaned, surfaced, and valve guides replaced.

Daily driver? For me, yes, cuz I am always carrying a truckload of tools and sometimes have to carry a heavy load. If you're not doing this, a gasser is definitely the way to go. Bueller will be along soon to question the economy of diesel

To your point of worrying about the electronics of a gasser: A diesel is pretty much drive by wire, electronic injectors, and electronic transmission... You won't get away from this unless you go with a mechanical fuel pump and non common rail injection system (think way older than 10 years)...

Comfort = Duramax/Allison...

but is sounds like you need a gasser, not a diesel.

rapidoxidationman screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 08:56 PM
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #21
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 868
This one is not expensive to own

How about recycling a government vehicle!

I purchased my 3/4 ton truck at VDOT auction which is run twice annually in Harrisonburg VA (5-yrs ago) for $1800.

1994 6.5 Diesel Chevy 2500 normally aspirated/non turbo.

It had 160k Miles on it. I have just shy of 200k on it now. I purposely was looking for something w/out a turbo and power windows for the sake of keeping it simple and less expensive to maintain.

I spent another 3k in repairs (new ac compressor, tranny rebuild, brakes, class III hitch, tires etc). So, for under 5k I have a truck that runs like new. It's cheap to maintain and gets 20mpg. It sure beats having $10k - 15k - 20k - 25k or more tied up in a truck. It's a great comfortable ride. I only wish it was a standard shift, but otherwise it's a joy to drive. It's my daily driver and it cost less than either of my bikes.

06' 650 Vstrom

allonsye screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 10:47 PM
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
I just bought a 20 year old Nissan UD 1800. It's a Class 5 truck (an F350 is "only" a Class 3) and the previous owner told me to expect 13mpg unloaded. My tests indicate that if I keep it in the green zone of the tach and max maybe 50 mph (not hard on Texas country roads) I am getting more like 20 mpg.

20 years old, 400k miles, and the steering and brakes are still excellent.

Then again I bought it as a trailer hauler with little expectation of putting major miles on it and expecting that I'd spend some money reconditioning it.

Isn't Jeep starting production of a small diesel Wrangler for the US market?

And the diesel Porsche Cayenne is getting excellent reviews.

I guess that the moral of the story is that not all diesels are the same.

Oh, and I am typing this from a motel en Mexico. Border diesel is, as I recall, about $1/gallon cheaper than in the USA. I will check tomorrow on the legality of filling my truck up here but am pretty sure that it's not going to be too much of am issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #23
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
[QUOTE=PirateJohn;20766606]

Isn't Jeep starting production of a small diesel Wrangler for the US market?

/QUOTE]

I can tell you if this were the case, you'd suddenly see thousands of used yj, TJ and jks up for sale. Jeep guys have been praying for this since jeeps were invented, and most would sell a kidney for one, including me.

Also will say I don't mind having lots of money tied up in a vehicle provided it has decent resale value... Current top picks are a Tacoma, a silverado and the wrx. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. A diesel sounds nice, but as you guys have mentioned here, it doesn't make sense for what I want to do with it, as much fun as it would be!

Thanks for all the info guys!
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #24
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Sprinter

My priorities for my diesel purchase---although not really a truck.
For my wants---after looking at this vehicle I didn't want a truck.

1. Diesel
2. Over 25 mpg
3. Powerful
4. Haul 2 bikes---inside.
5. can rough camp in it.
6. Plenty of power to pull a trailer if I want.
7. way less than $20,000

It's a 2006 Dodge Sprinter with a 2.7L turbocharged diesel with a 5 speed automatic that can be shifted manually if you want.

I mounted 2 ATK bike shoes in the rear to hold the bikes.
They can be removed in 3 seconds as they are fastened to a piece of 3/4" plywood and I can be left with
an empty cargo area making this vehicle very uselful for other uses.
This partition seperating the back from the front was what pushed me completley over the edge of buying this Sprinter.
It was already in there and has a sliding door.
If it hadn't been in this van already I would have put one in but would have never done this nice of a job.
It looks factory made to me.
I can stand up in it easily.
It gets 27mpg---man am I happy with this thing.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post

Daily driver? For me, yes, cuz I am always carrying a truckload of tools and sometimes have to carry a heavy load. If you're not doing this, a gasser is definitely the way to go. Bueller will be along soon to question the economy of diesel
Wrong. I love diesels, but I feel compelled to point out that between the higher cost of fuel and the premium one pays to get and maintain the diesel option it just doesn't pay off - unless you are regularly hauling lots of stuff like you are, or driving a ton of highway miles.

What pisses me off about diesel offerings in the U.S. in general is the manufacturers are ruining the Diesel's inherent, built in economy in favor of more power. While that might make sense for a truck, it makes no sense in a VW Jetta or a Chevrolet Cruze.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Is this a stupid idea for someone who is somewhat financially conservative?

I want a fun, reliable, comfortable truck, and have about $20k I could comfortably spend. Is it worth getting a 5-10 year old diesel with 75-125k on the clock over a much newer gasser with <50k miles?

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but have no diesel experience. Admittedly, I don't need a diesel truck, I want one. I know which models to stay clear of, and have friends who are into diesel and know a bit. However, they are also much happier living paycheck to paycheck to finance their toys; something I plain refuse to do.

Dream truck would be a single cab longbed 4x4 cummins with 5 speed manual. Not looking to bro-doze anything, though I could see chipping it for fuel mileage and some extra power. I'm guessing lack of response means I'm an idiot for considering this.
paying cash for vehicles is a VERY smart way to go ... leaves alone your monthly cash flow to support the really important stuff .. like real estate mortgage payments.

do some digging on the diesel forum ... hard to believe that there's anything most everyone agrees on.

12 valve Cummins (1994-98.5) are the best motors followed by late model 7.3 Ford (-2003)

mechanical 12v Cummins are the most robust of all Cummins. the only true medium duty truck motor available in pickup trucks. typical mileage 20-24 mpg from my 96 12v ... 16 mpg towing 12k+ lb trailer

2003 era 7.3 Ford have advantage of a modern cab and still have a super durable diesel motor. 12v Dodge/Cummins has a pretty plain cab ...

both will easily bump to 400+ HP with little to no fuss.

catch is finding low mileage/mint examples ... they are out there but expect to pay $15k-$20k for a super nice one with under 50k miles.

most desirable are 12v 2500 Cummins with 5sp, 4x4, extra cab. for some reason very few 3/4 ton Cummins were made with 5sp. almost all had AT, which costs $$$ to upgrade to survive big HP.

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 06:50 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 828
I have had three diesels now. First was an '04 Duramax. With a cheap programmer and CAI I saw around 24mpg on summer fuel (once on an all expressway trip figured out at the pump not with the computer thingy).

My '93 Cummins saw around 18-21 mpg on summer fuel sometimes higher if it was straight up highway travel. It was lifted with 35s, I tuned the pump myself built a $40 CAI and nice exhaust. It was awesome sold it at 290xxx running awesome.

My current pig is a 2000 Dodge Cummins 3500 dually. With a Air dog fuel pump cai exhaust and edge juice with attitude. I have only had it since September and love it but rarely see 18mpg hopefully summer fuel with new injectors will bump me into 20mpg. I rarely pull a trailer and not one big enough to warrant owning a diesel, but I love it. The durability and longevity of it is worth it to "me". I have never ever had an issue trying to find fuel. But I love diesels.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinEugene View Post
I'm using it as a daily driver right now & it's starting to spit/sputter at startup. Time to use the spare parts I guess. They made it almost 200k though from the factory so it's not all bad
Spit & Sputter on start-up is usually air intrusion! How is hot start?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #29
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Wrong. I love diesels, but I feel compelled to point out that between the higher cost of fuel and the premium one pays to get and maintain the diesel option it just doesn't pay off - unless you are regularly hauling lots of stuff like you are, or driving a ton of highway miles.

What pisses me off about diesel offerings in the U.S. in general is the manufacturers are ruining the Diesel's inherent, built in economy in favor of more power. While that might make sense for a truck, it makes no sense in a VW Jetta or a Chevrolet Cruze.
It all depends how much you have paid for your truck initially. For example, paying under $2k for a nice example of old government maintained diesel truck is a no brainier over a used dealer 5.4 Triton. My truck has cost me: $50 in vacuum pump, $200 in brakes and brake cables, $100 to replace all glowplugs, $30 air filter, $25 for fuel filter, $5 for a windshield wiper, $25 for fuel line kit, $90 in coolant, $100 for oil change (3 gal + filter), $30 in a freezeplug heater, and $800 for a set of 4 new tires. Which puts me slightly under $3k investment for my truck.. That's really hard to beat around here, unless you are wanting single-cab Triton. The diesel does not really need more or less maintenance than the gas truck... Yes, diesel is more expensive, and the cost can not be recouped even if you drive the crap out of them.. Your cost is offset with your initial investment.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #30
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

OMG PirateJohn! You and your trucks!!! What kind of build are you making this time?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: