Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I cheat..

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #77
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
Riding in the rain is no big deal. You do have to remember that other vehicle drivers will not be able to see you as well.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #78
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
I cheat..

OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh you are going to die!!!
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #79
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I think everything I have to say has been covered. I offer my opinion on what is most important when it comes to riding in the rain:
GET A PINLOCK VISOR. All the anti-fog treatments I've tried work for a short time at best. I know of few things in riding more miserable than raising your shield a notch to clear the fog and then having rain streaming down both sides of the shield. Major distraction when you need it least. Waxing the outer surface of the shield is also good advice.
WEAR RAINPROOF GEAR. If you are NOT warm and dry, the discomfort will distract you. Uncomfortable is dangerous. Too much detail to get into here, so just one thought; have the coughs of your riding pants OUTSIDE your boots.
TRACTION IN THE WET IS HIGHLY VARIABLE. That diesel spill, tar snake, or kicked up sand which would have rung your alarm bell when the road was dry are now invisible. To presume you have 70% or more of dry road traction (even with good tires) discounts these facts of life. My voice of experience here is to take all backroad curves at what will seem stupidly low speeds. You can certainly up the speed when you have a straight piece of road. If there is any question of potholes (which will be very hard to see when they are filled with water) your best bet may be to ride down the middle of the lane.
BEING VISIBLE. I believe my white helmet, brighter jacket, and enhanced lighting on both ends DOES capture the attention of MOST cagers. But I don't trust these passive protective measures. In dry conditions, I try to remember I am invisible to a certain percentage of other motorists. In the rain, no matter your helmet color or lighting, I think it is best to assume you are invisible to all other motorists.
FORGET COMMUTING IN THE RAIN. OK, I wouldn't consider commuting on a bike on freeways near any major city in perfect weather. Nor would I live there. If you live in this environment, you still have to make a risk assessment.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #80
GaryM
Huh? What?

Oddometer: 73
Having ridden in rain, snow and on ice...

I have to say it can be done but it has it's own risks and requires different techniques. It seems they have already been covered already but if I had to summarize it for someone I would state the following,
1. There is a lot more traction than you would think in the rain.
2. The center of the lane is the worst, especially at lights and stop signs or other places vehicles tend to come to a stop.
3. Slow down, everywhere. When you get good at it, well, then it is your decision on how fast you can go.
4. Braking is the trickiest part of it all, you will lock up the rear a few times. Practice locking it up in the rain so you know how it feels and know how to respond when it surprises you on the street.
5. Everyone on four wheels is still trying to kill you but your ability to avoid them is diminished, give yourself more time and room to avoid them.
6. It can be miserable riding when cold and wet. Dress accordingly.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #81
TO_ninja
n00b

Oddometer: 6
My first commute to work (after having bought the bike 2 weeks prior) ended with me riding home in the dark, while pouring rain came down and in rush hour. It was nerve wracking but like it has been said in previous posts just make deliberate smooth motions when turning, changing lanes, stopping and accelerating.

The poor visibility makes you more aware of the cars around you because if you're visibly impaired then so are they. I made sure to pump my brakes when stopping so that the brake lights would go on and off thus making me visible to cars behind me.

My gear kept me dry and warm so I did not have any distractions due to comfort.

Take it easy, slow and relaxed.
TO_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #82
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,776
All sorts of good advice here already so I only have one thing to say even if it's already been said. The more you ride the more comfortable you'll be in adverse conditions. I ride year round in NY and do it partly to keep my skills sharp, partly because I don't want a break in my riding season. Today it was 15F, windy with a light snow. I took the slow way to work to avoid the highway knowing the chance of hitting ice was high. I don't lean the bike in turns much at all in these conditions and brake very conservatively. Secondary roads in heavy down pours, less traffic and slower speeds are good. Light to moderate rain can be pleasant in warmer temps, enjoy it but leave plenty of room for braking and emergency lane changes. Get out in all sorts of conditions, that's how you learn to deal with it. You might really enjoy riding in adverse conditions.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #83
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
Depends on the bike a lot also.
I have ridden in the rain on lots of different bikes, but my TU250 makes it seem like its dry out, even in a heavy rain with local flooding.
I had more fun then riding in dry weather.

The TU is light, low, and has no power, and its a hoot in the wet.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #84
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Depends on the bike a lot also.
I have ridden in the rain on lots of different bikes, but my TU250 makes it seem like its dry out, even in a heavy rain with local flooding.
I had more fun then riding in dry weather.

The TU is light, low, and has no power, and its a hoot in the wet.
Good point. I like riding my DR650 in crappy conditions, especially winter weather, more than the Tiger. I'm sure the Tiger is safer in the rain though since it's got ABS and better tires.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #85
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 976
I commute every day on my bike so encounter lots of rain...ya get wet
you can ride dangerously in the wet as you can in any conditions.
Its up to you, its not the rain thats dangerous it is how you ride.

Eddywoodgo screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 03:53 AM Reason: fat fingers
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #86
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,291
To the OP - NO.

You need to be a bit more careful. You hear and see differently. It's actually fun when you get accustomed to it. You can play with your brakes and powerband in a completely different manner when it's raining.

I personally love the sound of light rain plinking on my helmet. The first time I heard it, I had no idea what it was for a while, until I noticed that cars had their wipers on. I was at just the right speed for it to blow by my visor.

Do: Wax your visor. Get a Pin-Lock. Learn to flick your head to the left and right to allow the water to blow away. Get one of those little squeegees that clips to your glove. Wear decently waterproof gear. Relax and enjoy it - it's just another dimension of riding.

Riding in a drownpour at night, not so much fun, but I've done it a few times (yay Germany) and I've not been any the worse for wear for it.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #87
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conedodger View Post
My 2 cents?

Get good rain gear. If you aren't wet, shivering uncontrollably, and generally miserable, you will be more relaxed and better equipped to deal with the conditions. Keep a good coat of non-abrasive wax on the face shield. All I have to do is turn my head to the side and the water blows right off. (Bonus: Makes it easier to remove bugs in dry weather.) If you normally use a tinted shield, keep a clear one, preferably a pin lock, handy for rainy days. I have a reflective vest for night riding that I will wear when it rains. Visibility is low when it rains. Do what you can to make it easier for the cagers to see you.
I always clean my visor with lemon Pledge. I guess it does the same thing as a wax, plus it smells lemon fresh! Cheap, and easy.

And gear. The worst thing about rain is getting freezing ass cold and having your boots fill with water because your jeans are completely soaked.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #88
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,119
pacific northwet,

if you don't ride in the rain,,you ain't riding!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #89
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,761
Yes-We are all going to die....

Unless you are running car/trailer tires on the rear.......

hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #90
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 545
I live in Oregon... Occasionally I ride in the dry.

Just slow down and take her easy, also remember bridges freeze before roads.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote