Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
What are you planning for exhaust?
Probably these: http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Megaphone...&keywords=emgo
cb200t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #32
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
More progress. The forks legs got polished up to 800 grit. They also received new seals, dust wipers and oil. They seems to actually work properly now unlike before I started. I also rebuilt the front mechanical brake assembly. The frame, swing arms and all of the other small parts including pegs, brackets, crown etc all went to the powder coater. Headers are receiving black ceramic coating. The rims are also getting powder coated semi-gloss black. Everything else is Gloss. The gas tank, side covers and fenders are going to get a metallic Gun Metal gray color; probably not until December. Next month I'll have the wheels re-laced and new rubber put on so I can start piecing this thing back together. If anyone has any good advice on how to clean up the motor without taking it apart, I'd appreciate it! Thanks for reading!!

So you can see where I started; one on the right is unpolished:

Forks complete:

Shiny stuff, all the chrome that will be on the bike:

cb200t screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 05:06 PM
Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #33
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bike parts! !

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Good stuff. i remember these bikes as a kid and would love to own one now, best I ever got to was a CD185 Benly but always wanted a CB200
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #35
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 924
I think you paid WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over the odds for that bike........... I got this 1974 bike for 10 ($15)

Unfortunately, the engine had water in it and the crank & oil pump were toast
Pigford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #36
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Looks to be cleaning up damn well for $50! Subscribed.
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #37
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Long hiatus, but progress has been made. I got the paint done on the gas tank, fenders and side covers. I also rrcovered the seat, got the wheels finished up and tires put on. Ill get the rear shocks next month and the throttle cable so I can get the engine started. Pix to follow.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #38
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,545
Lookin good.

I don't know if you've been to Rice Paddy Motorcycles. It's not exactly your back yard, but an easy day trip.

Looks like they're focusing on the internet sales now, but they have a funky warehouse location and piles of old bikes. It's hard by the railroad tracks by the state fairgrounds (and a one-way street to make harder to find IF I recall correctly).

A speedometer cable broke at about the state line, and I stopped there. They wanted me to test-fit the new-in-plastic Motion Pro cable to my bike before I paid. All the pieces were in place for a "special" price if not a gouging -- customer from away with part already installed -- when they charged me $8 or $10. Cheap.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 12:14 PM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #39
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Lookin good.

I don't know if you've been to Rice Paddy Motorcycles. It's not exactly your back yard, but an easy day trip.

Looks like they're focusing on the internet sales now, but they have a funky warehouse location and piles of old bikes. It's hard by the railroad tracks by the state fairgrounds (and a one-way street to make harder to find IF I recall correctly).

A speedometer cable broke at about the state line, and I stopped there. They wanted me to test-fit the new-in-plastic Motion Pro cable to my bike before I paid. All the pieces were in place for a "special" price if not a gouging -- customer from away with part already installed -- when they charged me $8 or $10. Cheap.
Hadn't heard of that place, thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #40
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Crappy cell phone pictures. Sorry about the quality.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #41
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Looking good I also am doing my first motorcycle resto. I've done a few cars (MG,Triumph,)so it's not like starting from scratch.Just got frame back from powder coaters and soda blasting engine tom.Keep up the good work and pics.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #42
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Currently in the midst of applying for grad school and studying for the GRE, but I did go on a spending spree yesterday...New mufflers, hagon shocks, points, bars, grips, fuel cap and throttle cable So with the bank account a little lighter, the CB is closer than ever to having life breathed back into it. Maybe a little history on this bike, the owner was a neighbor of a good friend of mine. He had bought this back when it was new and rode it until the mid 80's when it was parked. It had not run since 1985 (his estimate). After we moved and I first saw it, I fell in love with it. Don't know why, my head says it's only a 200, but it was just crying out to be ridden again. Hopefully I'm not wrong, but now it's 80% complete. It's been really fun so far. Next is to get the engine back in it and work on getting it started again. Stay tuned if you're interested.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #43
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
Looking good I also am doing my first motorcycle resto. I've done a few cars (MG,Triumph,)so it's not like starting from scratch.Just got frame back from powder coaters and soda blasting engine tom.Keep up the good work and pics.
Sweet, looking forward to seeing yours~!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #44
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Received my Hagon shocks yesterday. They look fantastic. I tried to install them today, but while drilling out the bushing on the swing arm for the lower mount, the sleeve spun out of the bushing I had to remove the rear wheel and remove the swing arm again. Took down to the local machinist (literally a 1 minute walk) and asked if he could make a new sleeve for it. He said gladly, and charged me $50 for two new sleeves that he would press in. Should be a couple of days, but it'll be for the correct size bolt too. In the mean time, I got the tail light assembly cleaned up and put back together. Also put the new gas tank lid on the tank. Pix later.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #45
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,252
Looking good!...nice job. She'll be purty when your done.
I ran across three CL200's last fall for $500.00. One is a good runner, original and complete, the others are parts bikes...no titles for any of them though. The "high pipe" CL's are pretty rare from what I've researched. It's just a hassle getting a title and that's what detered me. I've purchased three bikes in MT. without titles and was able to get replacement "bonded" titles for each one, but it takes about 5 steps (and about $150.00 +) to get it accomplished....and the MT. DMV Title Dept. is always backed up about 3 months or more.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote