Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #136
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~DC~ View Post
I never used a netbook so I can't speak with any authority on the subject. That doesn't stop me from making some wild assed assumptions though.

Netbooks came out when Windows XP was king of the hill. Atom based netbooks suffered huge performance problems because the CPU performance was not up to the task. Combine that with tiny screens and poor quality hardware in general, I suspect most people found them lacking.

Windows 8 and especially RT don't require the same amount of CPU horsepower that XP needed. That along with better Atom processors today and the upcoming Atom have changed the equation.
But those atoms are still light years behind even a core 3, and the pro uses a core 5. An atom Windows 8 tablet could be great though in that it would be roughly the same price as an iPad but you can run all your x86 apps on it. While they might not run great all your basic tablet apps would be fine and it would give you the option of at least being able to do some work when it's just the tablet.

My thought is I'm at an airport, get an e-mail from a client that X needs updated or changed, I jump into dreamweaver and fix it. A 10" tablet would be a lot easier to carry than my current 15" laptop.

Adobe needs to expand their licenses to 3 computers though

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #137
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
But those atoms are still light years behind even a core 3, and the pro uses a core 5. An atom Windows 8 tablet could be great though in that it would be roughly the same price as an iPad but you can run all your x86 apps on it. While they might not run great all your basic tablet apps would be fine and it would give you the option of at least being able to do some work when it's just the tablet.

My thought is I'm at an airport, get an e-mail from a client that X needs updated or changed, I jump into dreamweaver and fix it. A 10" tablet would be a lot easier to carry than my current 15" laptop.

Adobe needs to expand their licenses to 3 computers though
I agree completely, The advantage with Atom over ARM, as you already stated, compatability with all x86 software albiet at a performance penalty for some. Atom over Core i3/i5/i7 is much improved battery life, less heat from the processor removing the need for fans which means lighter and thinner devices and contributing again to better battery life. For many people that may be the holy grail.

Adobe, don't mention that name again! As 2013 rolled around, FrameMaker (all recent versions) decided licenses had expired. Being a holiday weekend, Adobe couldn't be reached for a solution. On Jan 2nd, they released a 'temporary' fix. didn't work on server operating systems, meaning no help for my 60 users that use FrameMaker in our Citrix environment. Finally got a working patch from them and all is well. FAA was breathing down my client's neck for a documentation edit that they coudn't make because FrameMaker wouldn't run.

~DC~ screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 09:04 AM
~DC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #138
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
surface pro

Well i picked up a "pro" last night and its pretty cool. Learning a new system is going to be interesting. I bought it to work in the field, hopefully the screen will be bright enough outside if I build a little enclosure for it.

I had to have a tablet with a good stylus so the ipads didn't cut it. My old convertible laptop was a bit clunky in the field so i'm hopeful that this will streamline things for me.

Anybody have accessory, windows 8 tutorials or app suggestions?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #139
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 6,737
atom processors suck total ass.

worst cpu architecture, ever.

the only thing they have is x86 compatibility, but they are soooo slow.

ARM is the only way to go.

I am excited about a full blown *nix distro being ported to tablets, that could be a killer product.

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #140
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmans View Post

I am excited about a full blown *nix distro being ported to tablets, that could be a killer product.
good thing neither of the surface tablets have atom processors then, eh?

the rt is arm, the pro is i5.

what will be interesting is if microsoft sticks with surface, and incorporates the new i5 processors with low power idle later this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I'm not sure about that, netbook sales were pretty good for 2-3 years and they didn't put a huge dent into laptops.
netbooks were actually pretty huge- they got up to ~20% of the notebook market.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #141
jazzmans
fickt euch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
good thing neither of the surface tablets have atom processors then, eh?

the rt is arm, the pro is i5.

what will be interesting is if microsoft sticks with surface, and incorporates the new i5 processors with low power idle later this year...

netbooks were actually pretty huge- they got up to ~20% of the notebook market.

Yeah, it is.

I had a first gen netbook, and it was decent, but android tablets kill it.

Having had a transformer 300 for about a year now, there's no way i could handle the constant search for a power source to keep the battery charged on a 'traditional' laptop any more. Hell, I only worry about plugging mine in every couple of days.

from what I've read/researched, there's just no way any implementation of x86 will ever be able to touch arm for power consumption. Don't know much about the next gen i5 chip although everything I've read shows orders of magnitude differences.

I can't talk about windows RT, haven't touched one. I'd use android or linux, in any case. debian has been ported to ARM.

jaz

Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #142
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
from what I've read/researched, there's just no way any implementation of x86 will ever be able to touch arm for power consumption. Don't know much about the next gen i5 chip although everything I've read shows orders of magnitude differences.
there are atom based windows 8 tablets that are already competitive with the tegra 3 based surface rt overall, and are also competitive at the cpu level when you isolate it, except at idle. and intel is supposed to be improving idle performance (on both core and atom chips, iirc) later this year.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-arm,3387.html
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #143
jazzmans
fickt euch

That was an interesting article no doubt.

caveat, toms has been pro-intel for decades, even when AMD was killing intel.

That being said, the new atom did significantly better then I expected, except, as you said, idle draw.

things should get very interesting in the next few years, if this is indeed factual information, not advertising hiding in the guise of reporting.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #144
~DC~
An Internet Legend

http://blogs.technet.com/b/building_...dex=2#comments

Running Server 2012 with Hyper-v and a few (small) VMs just for fun.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #145
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,143
Bumparoonee

What's the latest on the surface tablets?

Is that the way to go vs. the ipad or an android?

Seems like a tablet would be really handy.

I can get one with work money but I'd restrict it's use to work. I could buy it with my own money but the Surface Pros are pricey. I'm a bit reluctant to sink that kind of money into something which may not be that useful to me personally.

Will MS be overhauling the things or releasing new models?

I've also heard that the keyboard on the Ipad is better than the one on the surface.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #146
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Bumparoonee

nothing- they haven't changed at at all. wait for an update, which should hopefully bring the haswell chips (mo' battery life).

Quote:
depends what you want to do.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #147
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
nothing- they haven't changed at at all. wait for an update, which should hopefully bring the haswell chips (mo' battery life).

depends what you want to do.
Primary use would be while at work, at meetings when I need to pull up something from our servers, email away from the office, updating my onenotes, etc.

Some of this I can do on my Galaxy s3, except for pulling stuff up that is on our servers at work.

I am also intrigued by whether it would be useful personally, taking it on trips either on the motorcycle or the cage.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #148
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Rumor mill has been churning, I suspect we'll have a lot of next-gen details before the end of the year.

Quote:
Bumparoonee

Seems like a tablet would be really handy.

I can get one with work money but I'd restrict it's use to work. I could buy it with my own money but the Surface Pros are pricey. I'm a bit reluctant to sink that kind of money into something which may not be that useful to me personally.

Will MS be overhauling the things or releasing new models?

I've also heard that the keyboard on the Ipad is better than the one on the surface.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #149
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 38,918
Quote:

I'd agree ... but let's not forget where Acorn is today ...................
Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #150
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
One of our early adopters here at work ordered one the moment they came out (Surface Pro 128GB). When it came in it was the first time I'd ever seen a tablet that I considered anything but a large screen for Angry Birds (that is not a compliment).

I ordered one and haven't looked back. It's been excellent. I'm running triple wide-screen monitors, VOIP, Bluetooth audio, 64GB Class 10 SD, blah, blah, blah.

Observations:
  • Battery life isn't excellent but isn't terrible, either. I get 5+ hours of business use.
  • The screen is excellent and has high resolution (1920x1080). This means tiny fonts for apps that don't have a tablet-friendly interface (like Outlook).
  • The Microsoft extended protection plan adds accidental damage coverage (which is cool, since the assembly of this thing is just stupidly non-serviceable).
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: