Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #2206
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Yes, patience is the key. I missed an '05 Roadster with low miles for $3800 by 20 minutes a few months before I bought my '04 Roadster with 3750 miles for $4300. It took me about a year to find a Roadster I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. The same day I bought mine, my buddy bought an '03 Custom for $3k. Good deals pop up on Craig's list occasionally, but you have to check often and be ready to buy immediately because they don't last long.

2007 was the first year of fuel injection, so '04 through '06 would get you a rubber mount motor with a carb.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #2207
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
2007 was the first year of fuel injection, so '04 through '06 would get you a rubber mount motor with a carb.
That's good info, and I should slow my roll a bit. My goal with this is something along the lines of what the Japanese bobbers are doing. So a complete tear down.
A quick check of the local mothership shows a '12 with a year left on the warranty for 8900.
Percentage wise quite a bit more, but 20 year newer bike . I think the carbed bike would strip down nicer.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #2208
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
That's good info, and I should slow my roll a bit. My goal with this is something along the lines of what the Japanese bobbers are doing. So a complete tear down.
A quick check of the local mothership shows a '12 with a year left on the warranty for 8900.
Percentage wise quite a bit more, but 20 year newer bike . I think the carbed bike would strip down nicer.
Gary

Yeah, Craigslist is the key to finding deals. I use Searchtempest as a craigslist search engine because you can specify what years you are interested in, price range you want to look at, etc. It also searches all of the different cl listings within your specified search radius so you don't have to think of all the little area lists around you. But as stated earlier, check often and have cash in hand. The really good deals usually don't last long. I've sold 4 bikes on cl recently and they all sold within a few hours of posting my ad. One went to the first caller that called less than 20 min after I posted!

As mentioned, '04 through '06 gets rubber mount with carbs, but for a bobber, the rigid mounts can be done up a little cleaner, lighter, and simpler, IMO, if you don't mind the additional vibration. I'm thinking that my next project bike will be a street tracker based on a late model rigid mount. And carbs are cheaper to tune and IMO simpler to deal with, although for an everyday bike the FI is nice. I was planning on an '06 Roadster for the carb, before my fiance surprised me with my FI '13 48.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #2209
Stray Dog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Well a big grey van pulled up outside ours today

A nice young man unloaded this

My other half grinning like a Cheshire cat, finally got herself a Harley

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #2210
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Nice van! It looks like one of those Sprinters, except it's a VW. Oh, and the bike, too.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #2211
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post
Nice van! It looks like one of those Sprinters, except it's a VW. Oh, and the bike, too.
And imagine, a van hauling Harleys in England, having a license plate spelling out USA...

Oh, and CONGRATS on the new bike to Mrs. Stray Dog! Was it a surprise, or did she know it was coming?

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #2212
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 989
Nice! No better day than new bike day.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #2213
Stray Dog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Was it a surprise, or did she know it was coming?
Well she sort of knew,
but weren't sure if she was getting a bike or just a Harley T shirt...
When the van pulled up, I just told her there was a package for her and she should go get it...

Boy did I get lucky that night...
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #2214
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Dog View Post
Well she sort of knew,
but weren't sure if she was getting a bike or just a Harley T shirt...
When the van pulled up, I just told her there was a package for her and she should go get it...

Boy did I get lucky that night...

Oooh yeah, nothing quite like a happy and grateful woman!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #2215
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Here is a pretty sweet Sportster that has been converted to dual sport:
http://cyclesource.com/newsblog/2013...r-of-stilettos
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #2216
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Here is a pretty sweet Sportster that has been converted to dual sport:
http://cyclesource.com/newsblog/2013...r-of-stilettos

Awesome XL based scrambler! I'd want a little more seat padding, and perhaps a little lower bars. And I'd want to do a chain conversion to make it a little more gravel road friendly, but other than that, it's looks just about right.

I've been "planning" my next project and I'm torn between a scrambler, a street tracker, or perhaps something with more of a CR flavor. Been collecting a ton of pics of various custom built Sportsters for inspiration... just need the money to buy another bike, and the time to start putting something together... The CR bike craze is going strong, and the STer's have been around for a long time, so the Scrambler might be a little more unique, and it opens up a whole 'nother realm of riding...

Of course that has to wait until the 48 is "finished".

Randy screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 06:05 PM
Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #2217
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

And while you may have seen this already, and while it isn't a Sportster, this video got me jonesin' after a scrambler a good while back. This was supposed to be my next project bike, but now I'm thinking the Sportster might make a more satisfying candidate for me to use as a basis for it instead of the Triumph.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #2218
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Somewhere in here was a mention of the hard-mounted bars on 04 and ups compared to the rubber-mounted bars of the pre-04 bikes.

If you want to rubber-mount your bars, all you need is a couple of washers and some hard rubber. I've done this on a few bikes over the years and it works fine on the Sportster. I use 30mm washers and the heavy-duty rubber tips (not plastic!) for walking sticks - both can be bought at a hardware store for a dollar or two.

Cut the rubber about 1/4" or so from the end of the tip and punch a hole in it slightly smaller than the width of the mount retainer bolt. You want this to be a tight push fit over the bolt. Take out both bolts and move the bars back to clear the holes, push one bolt through, drop on a washer, press the rubber 'ring' tip upwards onto the bolt and push it though about 1/2" and drop the second washer on. Do the same to the other side. You can then place the bar mounts on the bolts and do them up - the tight fit of the rubber will stop the bolts falling out while you do it.

Tighten them up until the bars don't move the bolts in their holes - probably about 4-5ft/lbs. You don't want them tightened hard down like a solid mount. For the first few days, nip up the bolt every day or so as the rubber compresses and the mounts start to move on the bolts. The tight fit of the rubber will stop the bolts from ever falling out, so there's no danger of the bars falling off - though you could drill and wire the heads if you are really worried.

That takes out most of the vibes on the highway, costs next to nothing and can be done in about 15 minutes. If you are really keen you can do the same to the footpeg mounts with some flat bar and 1/4" thick heavy rubber sheet. I haven't bothered on the Sporty, but I have done it on some other 'shakers'.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #2219
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Okay, so I really like the Iron 883.
Question: If I have it made into a 1200 before I even pick it up (new from a dealer) by the dealer, am I risking warrantee? How would it compare with a factory 1200? And lastly, cost? Am I nuts here? Thanks
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #2220
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Okay, so I really like the Iron 883.
Question: If I have it made into a 1200 before I even pick it up (new from a dealer) by the dealer, am I risking warrantee? How would it compare with a factory 1200? And lastly, cost? Am I nuts here? Thanks
Lyle
Yep.
You are nuts. The 883 is as heavy as the 1200, but with far less power.
I have often thought that HD only build it for the Midlife Crisis People. You know:
"Ive worked all my life!/Done nothing but bring up kids! Never had no fun! I'm gonna get a motorbike! A Harley!"
(But later: "Yes a Harley, but the smallest one")
But I think the 1200 conversion should not invalidate your warranty.
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote