ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #406
vicvegas
eager beaver
 
vicvegas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Thompson,Mb
Oddometer: 189
I really like these bikes guys! i think there rare in canada, i know i've never seen one in person. A definite posibility for my new ride this summer! keep up with the pix!
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #407
mikeward62
MIKEWARD62
 
mikeward62's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: READING - UK
Oddometer: 1
R1100r

Hi - folks - here is my new toy.
a 96 plt R1100R, 19k miles, cost 3k gbp
pxd my 2001 transalp for half the money.
shes mint and a joy to ride - looking forward to some nice trips.

cheers:
mikeward62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #408
uberaudi
Adventurer
 
uberaudi's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Camarillo, CA
Oddometer: 86
Got my risers today annd they didn't fit. The dash wouldn't allow it to seat properly
uberaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #409
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
live2offroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Livermore CA, gateway to the Sierra's
Oddometer: 335
I love my R.. Seriously the best bike I've ever owned..

live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #410
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original
 
SF_Hooligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2offroad View Post
I love my R.. Seriously the best bike I've ever owned..

Hey, I know that bike!
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #411
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
live2offroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Livermore CA, gateway to the Sierra's
Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
Hey, I know that bike!
Hey man.. That was a great day!
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #412
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original
 
SF_Hooligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2offroad View Post
Hey man.. That was a great day!
Hell yes - gotta do it again soon.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #413
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 133
Curious: I was looking for "One Bike to Rule Them All" and wondering how the R1150R might fit that. I am a relative beginner and have a Suzuki SV1000s, but want something more upright and adventure-oriented. I have been looking at the Ulysses, Tiger and Multistrada, but I am wondering where the R might fit in.

Looking for a bike that is:
- reliable: I am a newbie and I don't want to spend time/money in the shop. I like the SV because the engine is largely bulletproof. One of the things I like about the R is ther reliability seems GREAt and you can wrench your own. Thoughts?
- two-up power: the wife and I combined are about 360 pounds and she is 5' 10 (I am 6'). I don't think I will be two-up more than a day or two at a time (though Mrs. Fish continues to surprise me) and more B&b/hotel than camping. The R looks a little cramped for the longer people?
- soul: I'm not sure how you measure it, but if you've been on a bike that has one...

Also, thoughts on gravel/fire roads with the R? Kind of weird, but there are a lot of them here in Central PA........
FishrCutB8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #414
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original
 
SF_Hooligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
Curious: I was looking for "One Bike to Rule Them All" and wondering how the R1150R might fit that. I am a relative beginner and have a Suzuki SV1000s, but want something more upright and adventure-oriented. I have been looking at the Ulysses, Tiger and Multistrada, but I am wondering where the R might fit in.

Looking for a bike that is:
- reliable: I am a newbie and I don't want to spend time/money in the shop. I like the SV because the engine is largely bulletproof. One of the things I like about the R is ther reliability seems GREAt and you can wrench your own. Thoughts?
- two-up power: the wife and I combined are about 360 pounds and she is 5' 10 (I am 6'). I don't think I will be two-up more than a day or two at a time (though Mrs. Fish continues to surprise me) and more B&b/hotel than camping. The R looks a little cramped for the longer people?
- soul: I'm not sure how you measure it, but if you've been on a bike that has one...

Also, thoughts on gravel/fire roads with the R? Kind of weird, but there are a lot of them here in Central PA........
Get a 1200.
-Very reliable.
-More power. I'm only 5'10" so I can't speak to the height thing.
-One of the most soulful bikes I've owned, but in a very no-nonsense kind of way.
-I've done quite a bit of gravel/loose dirt/fire roads on my R1200R, mostly fully loaded. It's no dirt bike, but I've done just fine.

The 1150 should be about the same, but a bit slower, heavier and with an uglier front fender.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #415
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
live2offroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Livermore CA, gateway to the Sierra's
Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
Get a 1200.
-Very reliable.
-More power. I'm only 5'10" so I can't speak to the height thing.
-One of the most soulful bikes I've owned, but in a very no-nonsense kind of way.
-I've done quite a bit of gravel/loose dirt/fire roads on my R1200R, mostly fully loaded. It's no dirt bike, but I've done just fine.

The 1150 should be about the same, but a bit slower, heavier and with an uglier front fender.
But way more class...
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #416
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 133
I don't get the front fender hate. I think it's actually kind of cool. But then, I'm a newbie so what could I know?
FishrCutB8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #417
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original
 
SF_Hooligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2offroad View Post
But way more class...
You know I love your bike.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #418
Patch
Studly Adventurer
 
Patch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southwestern New England
Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post

Also, thoughts on gravel/fire roads with the R? Kind of weird, but there are a lot of them here in Central PA........
Look up ride reports and posts by Lost Rider ... he's probably got more dirt miles under his R than tar. If not I bet its close

Basic dirt, gravel, have had no issues but I ride conservatively.

Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #419
Spider-eyes
Curmudgeon
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: S.C.
Oddometer: 590
Fishrcutb8 - I've has a 2005 R1150 since new with no problems except for one battery replacement. I do my own maintenance and it's pretty simple. I do recommend Jim von Baden's maintenance CD's to someone just getting into Beemers.

I'm nearly 70 and the R1150R is my - let's see- eighteenth bike since I began riding in 1959. This is my first BMW. I've always admired them but they were too expensive when I was young. After Triumphs, Ducs, Hondas, and a hand full of Harleys, I just went out and plunked down the cash for the BMW I always wanted.

The R1150R is easy on gas (up to 59 mpg on two lane road tours-that was a one day average in Tennessee), easily capable of two-up touring (With gear!) and fast enough that I've embarassed a good many "faster" bikes in the twisties and also on a couple of track days. It's toward the heaver end of comparable bike weight but rock steady and predictable. It's by far the best bike I've ever owned. In Europe, the "R" is called a "Gentleman's Express" and with good reason.
Spider-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #420
BlueBlazerIrregular
Bike Punk
 
BlueBlazerIrregular's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oceanside
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
Curious: I was looking for "One Bike to Rule Them All" and wondering how the R1150R might fit that.
Also, thoughts on gravel/fire roads with the R? Kind of weird, but there are a lot of them here in Central PA........

As others have said...




Gravel/Fire roads? YES.

Rock hopping or single track dirtbike? NO.

And yes, the other bike is a R1200GS and Yes, I did things faster, better, and smoother than he did. BUT, I'll say it was rider ability, not just the bikes.
__________________
2004 BMW Rockster
BlueBlazerIrregular is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014