Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
the valve stem broke, instant flat. Managed to stop without wrecking
people crash only cause they panic

I'm tryin to figger out "instant flat" from a broken valve stem, its still quite a restrictive hole that takes time for the air to flow thru

I had a rear caliper fall off once, centrifical force put it thru my wheel, 6" gash, 65mph± mid corner leaned pretty good, when I rolled to a stop a few hundred feet down the road, I could still hear air hissin out of the gash, at a buck25, seems like it would take a half mile to more for the air to escape thru such a small hole
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,905
I've also had other accidents that never bothered me for a minute, probably because they were quick and over with before my mind realized what was transpiring or I knew what was happening immediately but couldn't avoid it. With the flat it started with an eerie feeling for a few moments until I realized what was happening,then till I maneuvered my way across the highway with other traffic whizzing by and the bike doing mini fishtails everytime I attempted to brake. I had travelled another quarter mile. I finally got to the berm just in time for the bead to break loose and send the ass end completely sideways and send me up an embankment cresending in a few barrel rolls as the centerstand dug in and pitched me off. No injuries with suprisingly little damage.But it seemed to take forever and i believe thats why it stuck in my mind for so long.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Jesus Wibby, wouldn't it be easier to check the tires before you get on?
You must not ride much
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,851
I've had 2 big accidents in my life. Once in a cage when I was 16 back in the 80's and once on a bike 11/30/2011.
I guess I'm lucky because I have no memory of either of them at the critical part.

Last one, I got a new bike on 12/5/11 and was on my way. Couldn't wait to get back on a bike.

I've had a couple flats but never catastrophic. The last one I felt the bike acting strange and had 11psi and a nail... after a ride on the freeway. Maybe the stiff sidewalls saved the day.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,112
Cool2 So far so good! Don't panic, slowly stop! phone a friend!

Had a flat on the rear of my RF 900, at 80+ rode it out!.
Had flat on the rear of my ZX-14 at 70+ rode it out!
Had a flat on the rear of my XR650 on gravel at 45+ Rode it out!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I still can't get the "flat tire" out of my mind...

First time it happened it was the rear tire on my SV1000S. I was doing 125mph when the valve stem broke, instant flat. Managed to stop without wrecking, but it's something that really messes with your mind.

The second time was just a few weeks ago, again on the SV1000S, but this time something made a hole in the front tire. Managed to stop without problems and fixed it with my fix a flat kit.

. . .
Time to change to an airless alternative?

Michelin Airless motorcycle tires

Quote:
Interesting, too, is the tread and plastic sidewalls can be made in various colors as the blue version shows. No word, as far as I can tell, about how close these are to commercial application. It would be interesting to ride an airless tire to see how it responds under various riding conditions. Since a broken band doesn't require a tire change and there is no air to lose, these would seem to be a natural for extreme offroad use though they would be great for normal riding, too.
Think of having a type of "slinky" supporting the tyre from the inside - instead of pressurized air.

Pity seems no progress on this since November 2005!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #22
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,495
About a year and a half ago, I had the front tube pop on my 990 Adventure at about 65mph. Wheeee! Hang on tight and try not to die. Rode it out. Got the tire fixed (new tube) and was riding the next day, although nervously for the first few miles.
Many years ago I was T-boned by the classic left-turning cage. I still believe he was aiming for me, Lord knows I tried to get out of his way and almost made it. Ambulance ride, debate over whether or not to keep the left foot, months on crutches.
Bike was out of the shop before I could ride, and I was on it as soon as I felt my left leg could hold the bike up. I was apprehensive about cages, bad, for a while, and I'm still paranoid about 'em. Probably healthy. What's weird is, ever since then I can't ride on the back of another bike. Gives me the willies. Before, my friends and I used to pack each other around all the time.
Best advice seems to be to "Get back on the horse that threw you."

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #23
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
people crash only cause they panic

I'm tryin to figger out "instant flat" from a broken valve stem, its still quite a restrictive hole that takes time for the air to flow thru

I had a rear caliper fall off once, centrifical force put it thru my wheel, 6" gash, 65mph± mid corner leaned pretty good, when I rolled to a stop a few hundred feet down the road, I could still hear air hissin out of the gash, at a buck25, seems like it would take a half mile to more for the air to escape thru such a small hole
It was not like a tube blowing, but it got flat FAST. I felt the bike pulling to one side, which I thought was because of crosswinds, but when it pulled to the other side I knew I was in trouble.

When I managed to stop the tire was completely flat, didn't pop the beads. Scraped that tire as it overheated badly and I suspect the carcass got damaged.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
lost...
Guarior

Oddometer: 221
flats

Just passed a semi, heading north near Loreto, Baja. Got the wobbles, REAL quick- did a quick glance back to confirm me suspicion: blown patch on the rear that I had performed the night before, and me tire was losing pressure. Semi was haulin ASS behind me, blowing his horn, and not slowing down or moving over to pass. With zero shoulder, I had to throw the bike down the steep bank to a side road at high speed or get squashed. Somehow managed to keep it upright though, and not die. Much more cautious about a.) passing semis, and 2.) tube repairs in the dark!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #25
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
I've never had a blow out (at speed) on the tarmac.

You guys make me feel like I'm missing out. . .
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #26
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,622
I've never been decapitated while out riding, and I don't feel lacking at all.

(Ask any Australian motorcyclist over the age of . . . 57 (or so) for an explanation)
Pete’s Peek | Stone: Special Edition
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #27
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

I'm sorry but that just does NOT JIVE with:
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

I think the "studly" adjective has more to do with how I look than with how I ride.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 273
Had the rear tube on a bike blow at 60mph, I could see the rear end of the bike out of my left peripheral vision as I slowed the thing down trying not to crash.

I swore off tubed wheels on anything other than dirt bikes that day.

Had a nail in the rear of my Bandit 1200 and rode it 80 miles before the PSI was low enough to make the rear end squirrely in the corners. I plugged it 1,400 miles ago and still ride it like I always have.

The first incident made me somewhat apprehensive about riding but several commutes later I was back to normal.

I now carry a tire plug kit, compressor, and PSI gauge in my top box at all times.

-Jake
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
No broken bones, minimal damage to side case, but what astonishes me is after the flat is repaired I spend the next week/1000 miles freeking out wondering, Is it flat again? Am I about to go down again? Should I slow down? What was that? Arrgghhhhh!
Recovering from a wreck is truly scarier than the wreck itself.
You're right. I bent a rim and had my front tire deflate at speed a couple of times. Now every time I feel a strange sway on the front wheel I always think 'FLAT!"

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,871
I do not now have it, but I will. I think TPM is one of the best pieces of mind you can get on a bike. This is especially true when you are tired and not 100% on your game!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote