SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,413
Wow, that's a good looking bike. Wish my CB360 looked that nice
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
Looks great and should be a lot of fun on dirt roads.
I would love a late model sl350...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
seven4eight
rat-bike connoisseur

Oddometer: 47
what tires?

Are those Shinko 244's on the bike? I'm about to order some for my 71 CL and wondered how the skinnier 2.75 would look and handle up front. Thanks
seven4eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
assquatch20 OP
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven4eight View Post
Are those Shinko 244's on the bike? I'm about to order some for my 71 CL and wondered how the skinnier 2.75 would look and handle up front. Thanks
I'm actually looking to use the 244's once these go, but they're brand new IRC's. I'm not at home so I can't give you a model, but it is a 2.75. I can't compare it to any other tires on the bike, and don't have enough ride time to be sure, but handling feels slow and steady. I can tell from moving over loose stuff that the grip is great though.

I did use a 244 front on my TW200 and it was a pretty great tire, but that was a big front tire. Very slow handling it its case, but extremely grippy.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
seven4eight
rat-bike connoisseur

Oddometer: 47
Thanks! Sweet looking bike by the way. My dad and I just got ours running tonight, its a 71 with 2k on it. Still has the original tires. You can find them for cheap if you get incredibly lucky, but down here old CL's and CB's are selling for stupid money. I'd say you did well
seven4eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #22
assquatch20 OP
Hoss Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven4eight View Post
Thanks! Sweet looking bike by the way. My dad and I just got ours running tonight, its a 71 with 2k on it. Still has the original tires. You can find them for cheap if you get incredibly lucky, but down here old CL's and CB's are selling for stupid money. I'd say you did well
Well I see the ones under a grand here and there, at least the CB's, but they always need a lot of revival. The fella that sold me this one got it like that, all there, but left to die I guess. Clutch, points, carbs, coils, etc. to get it going well he said. It does show signs of a drop years ago, but must have fared well.

I'm looking at a few things to do, but I'm in no rush. The limitations of eye-to-clevis shocks is getting me though, so I might buy another swingarm and have somebody fab up mounts on it.

The nicer swingarm bushings and a fix for the iffy camchain pulley would go a long way to preventative maintenance. Look into that for yourself as well if you aren't familiar with it. I hear the stock pulley just kinda degrades from time rather than use, but I can't vouch for that yet.

The only actual thing I can find that the bike needs from Honda is the rubber stop for the center stand. The CL's had the leg of the stand rub the chain due to the bigger sprocket, so they installed a tab on the stand with a little bumper to stop it short of hitting the chain. Make sure that's there or you might break a chain and destroy cases if it goes unnoticed. It's like a $3 part, just a shame I don't have a Honda dealer in town anymore. You could make a stop with a small bolt just the same.

Sorting out what sort of exhaust I'd like is also bugging me. I'm considering SL350 type headers with Supertrapp 3M cans, then I can go for panniers without as many clearance problems, or a pillion without a hot leg, but who doesn't like hot leg? After that, 2>2 or 2>1 is the dilemma, and then whether I should chop the stock pipes to do it or go full custom.

Following that, grabbing some OEM airfilters and putting new foam on them. The cones are sandwiched in there under the sidecovers. Then the carb manifolds for the Mikunis might not have the right angle to keep it in there, so a couple of the stock ones to make that work. Then jetting to match the mods.

I'm already shopping around for some folks that might wanna make production racks, and a skidplate that isn't thin and $300 on eBay would also be nice. Finally, luggage and new seat foam, then I'm out of stuff to do but ride the thing.

assquatch20 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 03:45 AM
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,374
Nice bike 1

Are you riding it to the Rendezvous this year ?
I'd like to see how it preforms on the Banjo ride.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
assquatch20 OP
Hoss Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Nice bike 1

Are you riding it to the Rendezvous this year ?
I'd like to see how it preforms on the Banjo ride.
If I can make it out there, I'll probably be on this thing. I gotta get something figured out for luggage though.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
Bud Tugly
Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer: 232
Regarding the questions posed by the OP, the CL350 is capable of sustained cruising at 60-70 mph and traveling on mild off-road like gravel and dirt roads but it's not for rough single track. Compared to a modern dual purpose bike the suspension is very limited in travel and dampening and you will experience more vibration at higher speeds, but in their day they were probably as close to s true "adventure" bike as existed.

I recall many people removing the mufflers and running them with straight pipes back then, and this often led to burned valves and holed pistons if they weren't rejetted properly. Other than that people could and did undertake long trips on bikes like these since they were considered mid-sized back in their day.

Robert Pirsig rode a Honda 305, the immediate predecessor to the 350's, with his son and gear on the back for his famous travels in the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
Bud Tugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,114
That's a nice looking CL350. The old CL's take me back to my early motorbiking days, my first bike was a CL100.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #27
assquatch20 OP
Hoss Cat

Well, I haven't been able to go anywhere without being stopped and asked about the bike, which is kinda neat, but I aimed to get "away" today.

Cleared out the old trail by the house:

Found a bluff I could ease out onto:

Visited the site of my dream cabin:

And headed down to the lake for a bit:

It's a bit redundant, so I'll have to brush up on my neat locations and photography skills. I'm looking to use this thread to document my adventures and work on the bike, so stick around. In the next few weeks I'll be doing coils and a DIY poor man's rack.