User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #3331
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,119
Rocket, welcome to the club!

Can't help you with tires, you might want to look in the regional forums thread and ask around about scoring some tires in the UK.
Surely some other blokes have to ride dirt bikes on that island.

Can your dealer order you the OEM service manual? PM me if you need help getting one mailed over. If you ever need a yank-friend to get it sorted and mail one over for actual cost I'd be happy to help out. $195?... Not likely.

Some actually useful tools and a 2 year warranty? Lucky bastard.

Cheers!

[

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #3332
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I would have certainly paid the extra $500.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #3333
kb7tgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Rev limiter

Does anyone actually know at what RPM the rev limiter comes to play.
kb7tgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #3334
Rocket123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Rocket, welcome to the club!

Can't help you with tires, you might want to look in the regional forums thread and ask around about scoring some tires in the UK.
Surely some other blokes have to ride dirt bikes on that island.

Can your dealer order you the OEM service manual? PM me if you need help getting one mailed over. If you ever need a yank-friend to get it sorted and mail one over for actual cost I'd be happy to help out. $195?... Not likely.

Some actually useful tools and a 2 year warranty? Lucky bastard.

Cheers!

[
Lost Rider, thats a very kind offer regarding the workshop manual see pm.
I've tried a couple of uk dealers but they can't get one. HelmInc say 49 USD for the manual, 30 USD handling, and 116 USD postage.

I've been running the LRP on 98 Ron Super Unleaded ( I think thats equivalent to your 93-94) as I assumed it would add a little extra......but from reading this thread apparently I'm wasting my money.

I would like to understand why if that could be explained. Is it because there is no knock sensor to adjust the timing, and in that case what is the ECU actually learning in its short and long term memory?

I believe our fuel has 5% ethanol although the oil companies are particularly vague in giving any details. I am think that perhaps the 98 Ron might contain more than 5% to increase the Ron rating/knock point and I've read on here some of the issues you guys have encountered with ethanol. Perhaps I should swap to regular (95 Ron here).

Rocket
Rocket123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #3335
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
hi Rocket, welcome! :)

That's quite the success story - well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket123 View Post
UK LRPs come standard here with 2 years manufactures warranty plus 2 years roadside recovery.
Same in South Africa. They've extended that stuff from the cars to the bikes.
It reminds me, i must go to the website and update my details; the emergency service.

The service manual; HelmInc, $195... is that the price of the manual plus the shipping? USPS International Priority would be about $45~$50 to SA and Australia/NZ, should be a bit less for the UK.

* Lost Rider, thanks for the offer! If HelmInc is ripping it off for the shipping...

PS: That pricing of HelmInc is crazy. $116? Is that UPS or FedEx? Even USPS International Express could not be more than about $70.

PPS: Such a crappy website.

The tyres...why would there be a problem getting tyres in UK? Aren't they the usual dual-purpose sizes - 18", 21", on the smaller side?

cat screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 12:38 AM
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #3336
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
I think use the normal 95 RON. That is all we get here in SA, 95 at the coast (<1200m) and 93 upcountry. And i think that is typical of most countries.

PS: Owners Manual says unleaded 91 RON or higher.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #3337
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7tgr View Post
Three allen Wrenches?? I only got two, and a fuse puller as the manual states.
forgot about the fuse puller!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #3338
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
CRF's only also has the FSM back in stock as well, I got my tracking number yesterday, mine was on back order.

Cory
callison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #3339
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Rocket123:
"Octane rating" is technically a RESISTANCE to self ignition....what most folks call knock, so premium fuel burns slightly lower than regular. Most folks with small displacement engines who like to rev them will see(feel) no value in premium...but if you ride like me, where I lug the hell out of the engine, you will feel better response and a "crispness" taking off in a higher than normal gear with a higher load....like an uphill grade. So if I know all my riding is pavement, use regular....if I'm going to be offroad, hilly stuff, premium is preferred. .So it's a personal preference

For offroad tires that are US DOT legal (I assume you have similar tire legalities in the UK) look for pirelli scorpion tires...their front is generally better offroad than D606...but onroad with knobbies, keep the pressure higher than normal to prevent cupping of the knobs

Regarding brakes, there has been plenty of commentary here regarding breaking in the brakes which seems to be an issue with the CRF so look for it. I'm willing to bet these bikes come with some sort of anti rust crap on the rotors that never gets cleaned off properly, since they travel around the world by container ship and are subject to salty sea air. I plan to go over my brakes with brake cleaner, and scuff the pads with 80 grit sandpaper before it rolls outa my garage.

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 05:12 AM
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #3340
Rocket123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Rocket123:
"Octane rating" is technically a RESISTANCE to self ignition....what most folks call knock, so premium fuel burns slightly lower than regular. Most folks with small displacement engines who like to rev them will see(feel) no value in premium...but if you ride like me, where I lug the hell out of the engine, you will feel better response and a "crispness" taking off in a higher than normal gear with a higher load....like an uphill grade. So if I know all my riding is pavement, use regular....if I'm going to be offroad, hilly stuff, premium is preferred. .So it's a personal preference

For offroad tires that are US DOT legal (I assume you have similar tire legalities in the UK) look for pirelli scorpion tires...their front is generally better offroad than D606...but onroad with knobbies, keep the pressure higher than normal to prevent cupping of the knobs

Regarding brakes, there has been plenty of commentary here regarding breaking in the brakes which seems to be an issue with the CRF so look for it. I'm willing to bet these bikes come with some sort of anti rust crap on the rotors that never gets cleaned off properly, since they travel around the world by container ship and are subject to salty sea air. I plan to go over my brakes with brake cleaner, and scuff the pads with 80 grit sandpaper before it rolls outa my garage.
Thanks

The Scorpion Pro DOT knobblie seems to be available here so I'll have a look. Kendas or D606s definitely not available. Are you saying that the Scorpions have better grip on tarmac than the D606s also?

On further research the Michelin AC10s, Michelin Euduro 3/4s and the Mitas CO2s are popular in the UK, but I think they might be too off road focused for me as I don't want any less grip than the stock tires yield on tarmac if I can avoid it. Apparently the AC10 is shocking on a wet road.

I think you are probably right about the anti rust protection on the discs as mine are really quite good now I've given them a decent work out, it was on the demo bike that they were appalling.

Having real problems getting the AXP skid plate.

http://fr.axp-racing.com/d33/Honda-C...isponible.html

Emailed AXP France 3 weeks ago told me I had to contact the importer to buy one.

Fair enough emailed the importer who sent me some pictures and tried to sell me a folding gear shifter and other engine bling, but said I had to buy this through the dealer where I bought the bike.

Spoke to the dealer who agreed to get me the skid plates at £119 (180 USD). A week past nothing arrived, so I phoned the dealer who said the importer hadn't sent the skid plate because the dealer didn't have an account with the importer and the dealer wouldn't set up and account for the sake of one skid plate.

Went back to the importer who gave me a motocross shops telephone number. Phoned them - said there wasn't a skid plate made for the CRF250L. Ye what.

Googled axp skid plate found another motorcross parts shop who listed the plate so immediately ordered it online- however my credit card payment was declined during the transaction followed by a phone call from my the bank querying the matter.

Phoned the retailer who couldn't explain why the sale was declined, but said AXP had supplied them with 5 skid plates and they would mail me one out straight away. A week later nothings arrived, Arrhh.

No wonder we're stuck in this f&&&ing recession.

Rocket
Rocket123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #3341
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
hi :) Please show us more pics. :) What bracket did you use? How did you do the wiring?
Model 44, is that "spot" or "flood"?

OK Cat...here are your pics. Simple mount and they are tucked up out of harms way. I use them mainly for daytime conspicuity. On the way to work in the morning, while still dark, they just piss everybody off.

Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #3342
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Rocket123:

The Scorpion is NOT better on pavement than D606. Plus it is noisier. If they are available in appropriate sizes, Continental TKC 80's are slightly more offroad than what is stock, but for such an aggresive tread they are quiet and grippy on pavement. Shinko 705 is a nice tire, reasonably priced, but a little less offroad than stock. Pirelli MT21 used to be popular here and were decent offroad...are they an option?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #3343
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callison View Post
CRF's only also has the FSM back in stock as well, I got my tracking number yesterday, mine was on back order.

Cory
My CRF Service manual finally arrived...nearly 10 days for it to go the 20 miles from Helm to me. Whatever..got it...happy happy!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #3344
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
My CRF Service manual finally arrived...nearly 10 days for it to go the 20 miles from Helm to me. Whatever..got it...happy happy!
My manual came today also, I ordered it the day you posted that they were available, maybe the 15th. Thought I could find out what RPM the rev limiter kicks in, but haven't found it so far.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #3345
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7tgr View Post
Does anyone actually know at what RPM the rev limiter comes to play.

2013 Honda CRF250L - Europe/UK Specifications/Technical Details
European MSRP Price: See dealer for Pricing.
UK RRP: £TBA (Prices are recommended and inclusive of VAT @ 20% and delivery)

Engine
Engine Type liquid-cooled 4-stroke DOHC single cylinder
Engine Displacement 250cc
Compression Ratio 10.7
Max. Power Output 17.0/8500 kW/rpm (95/1/EC)
Max. Torque 22.0/7000 Nm/min (95/1/EC)
Fuel consumption 32.1km/L (90.4mpg)* (WMTC mode?Class3-1) Honda in-house measurement
Oil capacity 1.8L
Ignition Full-transistor battery ignition
Ignition timing 10° (idling)
Rev limit 10500 (rpm)
Starter Self-starter
Carburation Programmed fuel injection system (PGM-FI)
Idle speed 1450±100 (rpm)
Bore & Stroke 76.0×55.0 mm
Battery Capacity 12V 6Ah (10HR)
ACG Output 0.34 kW/5,000 rpm
Spark plug type SIMR8A9 (NGK)
Throttle bore 36mm

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote