User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #151
smeghead
b00b

Oddometer: 126
Couldn't pass it up

I went in over the weekend to check out the helmet and ended up paying $359 for the combo deal - helmet, jacket, pants and gloves. The explorer gloves suck but the rest of the gear is shockingly good quality. This is the second set of Bilt gloves I have purchased and I wouldn't have gotten these if they weren't free. Same problem as last pair - the knuckle guard end up on the upper part of your hand instead of over the knuckles.

The explorer helmet (the one with the interior shades) does have distortion in the clear visor. For me is detectable but not annoyingly noticeable. Off road I'll be wearing goggles.

The pants and jacket are very high quality. I didn't *really* need a new 3/4 jacket and pants but the value for the price was too good to pass up. Not to mention 5 year warranty on everything.
smeghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #152
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I just noticed that there is a new Hi-Viz option for this helmet.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...met/web1011511
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #153
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I like the looks of the Hi-Viz with the black. Sharp looking helmet. They had them on sale at Christmas for 99.00 dollars. If, and when they come back down, I'll grab one. Too pricey for me right now.

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #154
nedar
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChris99 View Post
I like the looks of the Hi-Viz with the black. Sharp looking helmet. They had them on sale at Christmas for 99.00 dollars. If, and when they come back down, I'll grab one. Too pricey for me right now.
They are back down to $99. I believe the sale starts today or tomorrow.
nedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #155
Prime Mover
Anything Can Happen

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedar View Post
They are back down to $99. I believe the sale starts today or tomorrow.
Yep, these are back down to $99.99 with no tax or shipping added. Sweet deal. I just ordered one from Renee at Cycle Gear, she was great on the phone and said if it did not fit that I could return it within 7 days using their prepaid return shipping. Now THAT is a deal.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Prime Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #156
G19Tony OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I like the hi viz, I'll have to go check it out tomorrow.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #157
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,711
So my wife and I went to check out these today and yes they are on sale for $69 for the Discovery and $99 for the Explorer. They had both the Explorer and the Discovery helmets at our local CG, although a lot more choice in the Discovery model. In fact, I had to ask where the Explorer ones were and they had them hid in a corner in the back of the store.

Anyway, I started with the Discovery model and was immediately impressed how good it felt on my head. I was in between the XL & L, but in the end decided the L would fit better once broken in. The smallest size they had was a S for my wife and it was too big for her.

Then we went back to the Explorer models. I really like the sun visor, but right away when I tried on the Explorer, it felt like my ears were getting stuck in between the two different pads near the ear. I didn't have that issue with the Discovery. The L was way too tight, so tried on the XL, but was still tight and giving me pressure points right above and behind my ears. I was kind of bummed because it just wasn't as comfy as the Discovery. Once again, the SM was too big for my wife. She was bummed. No XS in stock.

Back to the Discovery model and kept trying on the L and it just fit and felt good. I was ready to purchase and was up at the cash register and my wife mentioned about the optical distortion. I took off the visor thing and there it was. There is a very noticeable optical distortion just off center on either side and I knew there was no way I could live with that. I went and looked at a few others and each one was the same. No deal :(

I went back to the Explorer model seeing if I could figure out something with my ears and just for grins seeing if they had an XXL model. I've never worn an XXL model in any helmet, but the way the XL was creating pressure points, maybe I needed to. The XXL fit better and the more I wore it, the more it seemed I could get along, but I still wasn't sure. We went next door for lunch to think it over and came back and I killed some more time trying on the Explorer and wearing it around the store. In the end, I decided that the fit of the Bilt Explorer was better than my MSR one (AFX-39 clone) and I really liked the sun visor so I was going to give it a shot.

I haven't worn it on the bike yet, but we'll see.

If it wasn't for the visual distortion of the Discovery shield, I would have left with one of those in a heart beat. That helmet felt so much better even though its the "cheaper" version. I would have missed the sun visor, but the fit just was awesome. Such a shame about the optical distortion in that one.

I was really surprised that the two helmets are so different too. Their fit and internal shape is so different. I have a very oval head and I would almost venture to say the Discovery is the more oval shape and the Explorer has a more round shape. To my head, the Discovery was just so much more comfy. Obviously they aren't sized the same since I fit a L in the Discovery, but an XXL in the Explorer. The shields are different and where they sit. The Discovery shield only has 3 positions. Closed, middle, & full open. The middle position has some play so it can sit just above your eye line. Even in full open, the shield is still pretty visible in your FOV. Overall, the shield on the Discovery isn't as nice as the Explorer and of course the Discovery shield has the optical distortion in it. The Explorer helmet only has 2 true notches; full closed & full Open, but there feels like there is enough resistance in the shield that you could put it anywhere and it would stay? Not sure if that will last though through extended use? The Explorer shield also opens up further to almost be completely out of view. The front chin vent for the explorer is inside the helmet and reachable by your thumb. The Explorer has the sun visor which to me sits a little high, but we'll see how it works in the real world use. There might be some optical distortion in the sun shade on the Explorer, but it certainly wasn't as bad as the Discovery shield was.

For $100, the Explorer doesn't seem bad, but it certainly isn't a $200 helmet though. For $69, the Discovery would be a steal if it wasn't for that stupid shield.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #158
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
I got the Jacket, Pants, gloves and helmet about a week ago when they had it on sale (good till March 6).

The discovery helmet fit me shockingly well. I was totally impressed with how well it fit my head. I've been wearing an Arai Profile, and the discovery seemed just a tiny tadge bit rounder than the the Profile.

I wore it on a extended ride the other day and my thoughts (on a bike with a windscreen setup).
  • Fit well - no hotspots for me.
  • Internal built in flip down shade, worked better than I thought it would. I thought it was too light, but it worked well enough.
  • Main face shield is nice and thick. It gave a good view, didn't notice any annoying distortions, unless you looked out the very bottom of the shield where it curves to fit the helmet.
  • Ventilation - Does not appear to be real good. I'll have to try with the windshield lowered. My Arai has better ventilation.
  • Aerodynamics - No complaints. Didn't really seem to have any additional buffeting, worked well, even when I looked sideways.
  • Fogging - It was a cool day, it didn't fog up any worse than my Arai. As long as I lifted the visor at stops, it was fine. Once I was moving, if there was any fogging, it cleared up quickly.
  • Overall quality looked good, expecially for a $100 helmet. All the padding comes out so it can be washed.
If it holds up for a few years, it will definitely be worth the money. If it falls apart in a year or two, then I'll get frustrated with it.

I go the Pearl White as that is what they had in stock, works for me and is more visible than most helmets, except for the yellow or hi-vix one ones.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #159
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,711
Are you sure you didn't end up with the Explorer helmet since you talk about the internal built in flip down sun shade? The Discovery doesn't have that?

Edit: Looks like they are calling the one the Explorer Discovery Adventure (cheaper one) and the other the Explorer Adventure (which has the sunshade)
- http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...met/web1011511
- http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...met/web1011695

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
I got the Jacket, Pants, gloves and helmet about a week ago when they had it on sale (good till March 6).

The discovery helmet fit me shockingly well. I was totally impressed with how well it fit my head. I've been wearing an Arai Profile, and the discovery seemed just a tiny tadge bit rounder than the the Profile.

I wore it on a extended ride the other day and my thoughts (on a bike with a windscreen setup).
  • Fit well - no hotspots for me.
  • Internal built in flip down shade, worked better than I thought it would. I thought it was too light, but it worked well enough.
  • Main face shield is nice and thick. It gave a good view, didn't notice any annoying distortions, unless you looked out the very bottom of the shield where it curves to fit the helmet.
  • Ventilation - Does not appear to be real good. I'll have to try with the windshield lowered. My Arai has better ventilation.
  • Aerodynamics - No complaints. Didn't really seem to have any additional buffeting, worked well, even when I looked sideways.
  • Fogging - It was a cool day, it didn't fog up any worse than my Arai. As long as I lifted the visor at stops, it was fine. Once I was moving, if there was any fogging, it cleared up quickly.
  • Overall quality looked good, expecially for a $100 helmet. All the padding comes out so it can be washed.
If it holds up for a few years, it will definitely be worth the money. If it falls apart in a year or two, then I'll get frustrated with it.

I go the Pearl White as that is what they had in stock, works for me and is more visible than most helmets, except for the yellow or hi-vix one ones.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #160
jeepkevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
So far so good with my Explorere experience. It does pinch my ears but that was easily changed. Optical distortion? Well hard to say. Looking at the lens in the store I would have said it might be an issue. After riding all day long with both visors, then one visor, not really much of a noticable issue. I get alot of airflow up from underneath compared to my other helmets. Riding with the inner visor down and the outer one up might be a nice trick for traffic on hot summer days. It think this will be a very good hot weather helmet.
jeepkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #161
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkevin View Post
So far so good with my Explorere experience. It does pinch my ears but that was easily changed. Optical distortion? Well hard to say. Looking at the lens in the store I would have said it might be an issue. After riding all day long with both visors, then one visor, not really much of a noticable issue. I get alot of airflow up from underneath compared to my other helmets. Riding with the inner visor down and the outer one up might be a nice trick for traffic on hot summer days. It think this will be a very good hot weather helmet.
my ears get folded down sometimes when putting it on and wondering how you fixed that problem?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #162
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
my ears get folded down sometimes when putting it on and wondering how you fixed that problem?
Mine do that too. To solve, I put the helmet sort of over my face first and then roll it back over my ears. Works like a charm.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #163
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
GoPro mounting?

Anybody mount a GoPro camera on these? I couldn't figure out where to put it. if I put it back I suspect I will be seeing a lot of the beak. The beak is not smooth, so I am not sure a 3M tape attachment that is provided will work. Any advice today would be appreciated. I am leaving on a trip tomorrow :-)
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #164
RocKrawler
I make wicker cry

Oddometer: 32
FYI they are back on sale again. Went down to try one on and they just dont fit comfortable on my odd noggin when on, painful to remove as it tapers in a lot at the bottom and peels my face up compared to my SHOEI and Nolan. I ended up trying a few others and ended up buying a SEVEN ZERO SEVEN Connex modular with built in bluetooth. Incredibly comfortable for me and wireless Pandora/GPS/phone calls built in for sale price of $149 was unbeatable. I plan on using this for commuting, and looking for something more comfortable when in dual sport mode.

Age doesn’t always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.
RocKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #165
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Mine do that too. To solve, I put the helmet sort of over my face first and then roll it back over my ears. Works like a charm.
i will have to try that on mine. thanks!!!!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote