User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Night Train OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Lawrence of Arabia

Here's a great quote from T.E. Lawrence otherwise known as "Lawrence of Arabia".

"A skittish motorbike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness." -T.E. Lawrence

He was a Brough Superior enthusiasts and owned 7 of them during his life. The 8th was still under construction when he was killed in a motorcycle accident. Here's a little more about him.

Lawrence of Arabia
Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,626
If you do a little more research on him, you will find he was, ummm, unusual. Sexual issues etc. Various escapades in the mid-east.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Night Train OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
If you do a little more research on him, you will find he was, ummm, unusual. Sexual issues etc. Various escapades in the mid-east.
I just stick with the motorcycle related parts...
Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
Here's a great quote from T.E. Lawrence otherwise known as "Lawrence of Arabia".

There are only 702 posts about Lawrence on ADVrider already.

Maybe next time you can attempt to emulate our friend Lawrence as portrayed
by O'Toole and extinguish burning matches between your fingers before you post.
The trick, my dear Night Train, is not minding.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...pe=&as_rights=

And who cares what the guy did in his spare time ? He was a great man, and he
earned a place in history books, and that's more than most of the jokers who hang
out on ADVrider will ever do, myself included. Worrying out loud about someone else's
sexual preferences exposes you as an ignorant bigot, and a man knows it is none of his
business to be concerned about the private business of other men. Good grief, some of
you people disgust me.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 07:59 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

"A skittish motorbike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness." -T.E. Lawrence

He was a Brough Superior enthusiasts and owned 7 of them during his life. The 8th was still under construction when he was killed in a motorcycle accident. Here's a little more about him.

Lawrence of Arabia

I've been offering this quote of his to my horse loving little sister, who has an opposing view of TE Lawrence. Oh well.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
There is an excellent short excerpt from his book on his RAF days, "The Mint" that describes an after work ride on his Brough and a race with a biplane at http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/200...from-mint.html
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
There are only 702 posts about Lawrence on ADVrider already
Make that 703, here is Colyford filling station which is about 4 miles from here and has been there since 1928, it only stopped selling petrol from these pumps a few years ago. Allegedly Lawrence used to stop here and fill up on his way between Bovington army base and Plymouth which is quite possible as it is about half way and there can't have been too many places to top up back then. Either way it is a popular place for people to pose for photos with their vintage bikes and cars.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
R85/8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
If you do a little more research on him, you will find he was, ummm, unusual...
Maybe so, but that's his business. He was a man ahead of his time in many ways, and perhaps if the British govt had listened to his advice as a man with local knowledge and connections, the troubles that have flared up in the Middle East may not have happened.

Very few people have been able to write so evocatively about the thrill of motorcycling.

A fair dinkum hero.
R85/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
Make that 703, here is Colyford filling station which is about 4 miles from here and has been there since 1928, it only stopped selling petrol from these pumps a few years ago. Allegedly Lawrence used to stop here and fill up on his way between Bovington army base and Plymouth which is quite possible as it is about half way and there can't have been too many places to top up back then. Either way it is a popular place for people to pose for photos with their vintage bikes and cars.

Various brands to choose from. Now that's what we call service. Do they come with flavours too?

Colyford Filling Station: A3052 (Swan Hill Rd), Colyford, Devon.
coords: N50°43'39.72" W3°03'39.50" ALT11m
story: http://www.motoringmemories.com/history.html

And it's on a coastal road too. Picture myself motoring past there too.

Rango screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 05:59 PM
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,301
T.E.Lawrence's House is owned by the National Trust and is open for viewing http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/clou...r-information/

What is amazing is how many miles he clocked up on the Brough machines in a comparatively short period of time, even more so when you consider the poor quality of the roads and lack of motorways.

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 02:36 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,449
Quote:
No self fellatio ... :(
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
T.E.Lawrence's House is owned by the National Trust and is open for viewing http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/clou...r-information/

What is amazing is how many miles he clocked up on the Brough machines in a comparatively short period of time, even more so when you consider the poor quality of the roads and lack of motorways.

I courteously beg to differ
these roads and machines are married to each other
why else would we seek them out whenever wherever we can?

whichever way he was a real afficionado
A Gentleman and a Rider

Thx for link to Clouds Hill, fascinating retreat.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,953
"And who cares what the guy did in his spare time ? He was a great man, and he
earned a place in history books, and that's more than most of the jokers who hang
out on ADVrider will ever do, myself included. Worrying out loud about someone else's
sexual preferences exposes you as an ignorant bigot, and a man knows it is none of his
business to be concerned about the private business of other men. Good grief, some of
you people disgust me."

+1 Well said.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,953

Rob, thanks for sharing this photo. I don't think I've ever seen it before. That Brough is just beautiful. Does it have a front brake though? If so, it must have been miniscule.

When I was a kid, I worked as an usher at the local theater after school. That should date me, eh? Lawrence of Arabia was one of my favorite movies. Still is, matter of fact. The cinematography is just incredible.

The opening scene has stuck with me from the first time I saw it on the big screen. A solitary Lawrence walking out, fueling the bike and checking the oil. The bike sits impatiently in a courtyard. After starting it up and giving it a final once over with a rag, he gets aboard and flies down that country road. To me, the look on Peter O'Toole's face really captures the total joy of riding at speed. Then, two young lads suddenly appear, oblivious to the motorcycle and rider bearing down on them. Attempting to prevent catastrophe, Lawrence brakes and turns the bike sharply away. He fights for control but fails, and skids off into the brush. We are left watching a wheel slowly spinning in the air. What an incredible way to start a movie! In fact, think I'll have dig out the old DVD and watch it again tonight. I'll have to check to see if I got the scene right. It's been a few years. Thanks again for the memories!
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,301
He was a fascinating man

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.”
— Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T E Lawrence [1922].

This is the machine he was riding when he was killed. The machine is now in the Imperial war museum

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote