User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Nano0k OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
First Projet

Hi , first post , nice to meet you all !
After being a while looking up for some swing arm configuration over many site i decide to show you my work wondering if my setup enough strong. nothing full welded so i can dissemble it before making a bad move.

im used to speak french so ill try my best to describe this set up. mainly a 1 5/8 tubing 3/6 wall ( ~ L.20 inch ) welded on a pivot point ( L. 4 inch ) which got 2 radial bearing each side. fully machined wheel shaft welded on a 4.5in triangle. ( easier to change on a shaft break ) main frame is 1 1/4 tubing. everything work fine when wheel goes up and down. but is it gonna be able to handle side movement effect ?

Nano0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,023
I know very little about this but it looks good. Would love to see more pics. Whats the Tug, Whats the intended use?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Nano0k OP
n00b

Me and my friend building a side car and plan to make a trip from Quebec to B.C passing trough USA . We making a hybrid version of a sidecar cross and a sidecar . i mean we wanna be able to do track and and make road too ;) so far we been working on the frame. a roughly 2 more day and its gonna be the test run. ( still need 2 other attach and a footstep ) here a picture mounted on a XR650.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,023
Looks good so far. I am thinking of doing a SuperMoto Sidecar based on a 98 Yamaha YZ400F
Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 170
You say need 2 other attach?

I'm thinking what you are talking about is the upper connections to the bike? What I see so far looks very nice. Obviously you have access to some good machine tools and skills. My only question would be the size of the axle. As it is supporting the wheel from only one side it needs a bigger axle than a bike where it has support on both sides.

Also might want to look into putting a motor in the bike, B.C. is a long way to push an outfit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano0k View Post
Me and my friend building a side car and plan to make a trip from Quebec to B.C passing trough USA .

kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Nice!

Nice work. Keep it light. I've got a KLR650 and DMC Enduro sidecar setup... not too far off what (I think) you're trying to accomplish. You'll have a blast with that thing.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
It looks as though a hard left turn would cause the sidecar wheel to toe out, due to the axle arm flex, without a lateral control arm. By axle arm, I mean the up and down arm the axle is attached to, if that helps.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
halflive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Hello
I'm not afraid your swing arm will bend. The tube won't bent. Just as long as you install an reinforcement in the corner. I'm more afraid of the wheel axle. It looks like a standard front axle mounted on one side. The standard front axle is not sturdy enough. You need an axle of about 20mm, about 0.80".
I also don't understand why the pivot of the swing arm is higher than the sidecar frame?
Third point, the rear mounting looks solid. But the front mounting point looks as if it is welded on a crash bar.
halflive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Nano0k OP
n00b

After a good day of work we finally completed our upper connection and getting back motor in place. to respond to halflive whell shaft is 17 mm dia , why the pivot of the swing arm is higher than the sidecar frame? maybe esthetic , maybe cause we wanted to have same clearance from bike frame vs side car frame. good question.

we going to give test run monday , trying to break our swing arm and axle . gonna be fun ! thx to all for feedback and tips we appreciate

Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 929
With the addition of upper struts, I see no problems with your design. I was worried at first that it was going to be a leaner.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Nano0k OP
n00b

here a close view of the Axle. After the test we might rework all swing arm system . mabey thnking of cloning XR650 arm or a custom build 30mm axle whit the possiblity to add a drive shaft on it. working on a Inventor 3D plan to show how it fill fit. stay tuned :)

and for the crash bar : yes it is , but imo i dont think a 5 point grade 8 bolt on gonna break. the frame gonna twist/break before bolt cut off.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
kshansen
kshansen

Have you looked at the idea of finding different wheel bearings with larger I.D.? Possibly changing from ball bearings to tapered rollers, they sometimes are available with larger I.D. while still using the same O.D.. 17mm axle does seem a little small.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,414
Smallish axles work okay with a double sided swingarm We typically make the outside portion of the swingarm a bold on assembly. Still prefer large axles though. NICE WORK!!

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
kshansen
kshansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshansen View Post
Have you looked at the idea of finding different wheel bearings with larger I.D.? Possibly changing from ball bearings to tapered rollers, they sometimes are available with larger I.D. while still using the same O.D.. 17mm axle does seem a little small.
I'm going to guess that the bearings in your wheel are 6203 ball bearings with 40 mm OD. 17 mm ID and 12 mm wide.

Might want to look into this bearing:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8836

This would let you increase axle from 17mm(0.67 inch) to approximately 19 mm (0.75 inch).
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Nano0k OP
n00b

The standard front wheel bearing on a XR650 is a 6003 - 2RS . 35mm OD 17mm I.D . i tried to look on Mcmaster and SKF for a needle . sound like there is no bearing suited for my job. so im thinking about 3 option :

1. re-machining the wheel hub for a bigger bearing option
2. disassemble the bearing/sleeve unit and make a larger straight shaft mounted on custom bearing block fixed on the arm
3. remake a double sided swing arm whit stock Honda wheel axle