Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #466
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,357
The xr1200; desperately wanted to like it, steered like a pig...

CB500X, DR650 semi motard
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #467
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 6,716
I hate to say it but.......My V Max. I rode one in my younger years and fell in love with it's acceleration and looks.
Well I'm older I still love the looks and I finally bought one. Problem is now my body (knees and back) does not like the riding position anymore.

Ray
truck6driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #468
Oldbutslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
'98 R1. I got caught up in the hype of this first year model. Great engine, but the frame was a flexi-flyer joke. Even though I owned this piece of eye-candy for a couple of years, I never looked back when the Aprilia's came out. Now that was a sweet bike! ,BK
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #469
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 289
KLR650. I didn't think looks were that important to me. It helped me realize I'd never be happy with a bike I couldn't go out to the garage and drool at. Great bike though, and I appreciated its function and spent a couple of good years with it. It's also a big topheavy bike for me, being 150 soaking wet and not alot of confidence in the dirt.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #470
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
speed triple.

mushy front end in the corners.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #471
Geezer3d
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 1
1976 RE5 - It looked interesting in the showroom, and at less than half retail, the price was right, but that thing was very heavy, had little power for it's weight, and the suspension seemed designed for a much lighter bike. I literally gave that bike away after it sat unused for a number of years.
Geezer3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #472
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 707
Triumph Tiger 800 XC.

The engine in my Street Triple R pretty much ruined any other motorcycle experience I ever had. So, when Triumph announced that engine (stroked to 800) in a dual sport configuration that was lighter than my 1200 GS, I jumped. The 800 is NOT the same engine. That and, IMO, dismal returns on gas mileage for a "distance/adventure" bike left me sorely disappointed. It has spindly legs too and doesn't evoke confidence for highway handling. Oh, and I never did warm up to the fact that the gauge defaults to the trip odometer instead of total miles and there's no way to change it. We'll see how the new Trophy performs. I think I'm gonna like it. Of course, I won't be taking it off road but, I never really did much of that with the Tiger.
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

bug67 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 11:08 AM
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #473
fxrshog
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
What are the bikes you thought you'd like a lot more than you did on the first ride?

I was inspired to ask this by a demo ride of that sort the other day. And I had a similar one a year ago. But my tales can wait. I want yours!
2013 Harley Ultra Classic. Rode one at Daytona bikeweek. The engine on the top end sound like a damn thrashing machine. The engine heat was ridiculous, enough to make you look for an open road. The rest of the bike seem to be okay, I wasn't interested in staying on it long enough to find out.

For $24,000.00 I would go with the Honda Goldwing or BMW K1600GTL in an absolute heartbeat.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #474
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrshog View Post
2013 Harley Ultra Classic. Rode one at Daytona bikeweek. The engine on the top end sound like a damn thrashing machine. The engine heat was ridiculous, enough to make you look for an open road. The rest of the bike seem to be okay, I wasn't interested in staying on it long enough to find out.

For $24,000.00 I would go with the Honda Goldwing or BMW K1600GTL in an absolute heartbeat.
Just spoke with a car and bike enthusiast who moved to south Florida and had the very same experience. Harleys are great for Fall day rides, but I bet they ended many a motorcyclist's enthusiasm, and their riding in general, after slow traffic rides on hot days. The guy I spoke to sold his immediately after such an experience despite owning them for years up in New York.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #475
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
When I went looking for a replacement for my 'starter' vstrom, i was pretty sure I wanted a full tourer.

Goldwing - wow a civic without a roof. Super smooth, every gadget and quite comfortable. I just could not get over the feeling that it is a to wheeled Miata.

Harley Road King - great bike but just not for me. Found the handeling to be too far into the touring side of the equation. Funny thing after being underwhelmed by the Wing I figued this would be the bike for me - more basic bike that can do long distance.

Thank God for test rides :)
Waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #476
TheEpicEngine
Adv Storyteller

Oddometer: 3
Versys. Fun in the twisties. Reliable as a wood-burning stove. GREAT little motor. Hauled me and my gear across Montana at fairly illegal speeds a few times.
I just can't get my 6'3" 230 comfortable on it, even after $500+ in seats, screens, and risers. Super 10 or GS to come this summer...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #477
ZREXER
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
ZX-14R. Wish I would have kept my CBR1100xx. The ninja did everything well but I didn't love it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Interesting as I had a ZX-14 and I feel exactly the same way. Blindingly fast in a straight line. Fantastic brakes. After a lot of suspension fiddling, I never liked the way it handled. Turn in was poor, more than a few times I had the putt puckering experience of drifting wide going into corners because it was slow to turn in. I have ridden for 40 years, so not a lack of experience.
Also, around town it was like a portable sauna, the cooling fan was always on and the heat was so bad my socks would be wet when I removed my riding boots.
The novelty of running it up to 290 kilometers/hour eventually wore off.

It was also stupidly expensive to insure. It was also a beast to work on. The fairing was a night mare to remove.

If drag racing is your thing, then it is a great bike. I know some people sport tour on them, but they are hard on tires, chains and the gas mileage is not great.
ZREXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #478
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 428
VFR1200: I had ridden several Interceptors and was getting ready to buy one, when the (then) new 1200 came out. The dealer talked me into a test ride and I walked away from it with almost the same feeling you get when you just found out that you haven't won the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes after all.

I wanted to like it, but the riding position was too aggressive, the brakes felt wooden, and the whole package felt like it was a sport tourer designed for someone half my size (I was, at the time, about 320lbs, I'm now inching closer down to 250)

Another one was the FJR: everyone I asked loved it. "Oooh, I want one!" they'd say. So I test rode it.

Four times.

Hated it, each time. I never felt like I was "in" it so much as "on" it. I also hated the mirror positioning and stock windscreen. The peg position had me fidgeting after about 20 minutes on it, each time.

In both cases, when I first looked at these bikes, my left eye would twitch a little, and my heart would start fluttering like a hummingbird's wings. Then I rode them. Kind of like the same feeling when I got to drive a Lamborghini Countach a few years ago, lovely to look at, but not much fun to drive, at least for me.

I will say that both are great bikes, just not for *me*.

Each to their own, I guess...

SuperTour 1
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #479
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 856
Lone traveler, what mods did you do to the Connie? They were kinda aggressive in the seating arrangement, too. Low bars and high pegs. I wanted one but the ex nixed it for a Harley... Shame, too.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #480
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Lone traveler, what mods did you do to the Connie? They were kinda aggressive in the seating arrangement, too. Low bars and high pegs. I wanted one but the ex nixed it for a Harley... Shame, too.
On the 2000 C10, I changed to a 15" Rifle shield, kept the stock seat, and added Gen-Mar 2" bar risers. Also have the peg-lowering kit from Murphskits. That was all I changed on it, and I did a few 1k mile days on that bike.

Just pulled the trigger on a C14 this evening, so already looking at what, if any mods I'll need to do to that.

Probably not many, since I've ridden these at various times and found the fit to be as close to perfect for me as I've ever found. The only bike that I've ever ridden where I said "Hot damn, this thing fits me like it was made for me!" is the V-Strom, but I wanted the whole package, and the Connie just pushes all the right buttons for me.

I'll sell you my old Connie if you're interested!

SuperTour 1
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote