Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #7441
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Dude, just un plug it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude – yes I could just unplug the sensor – and then do what? – look at it? – sing to it perhaps? – maybe fondle it a bit? – I don’t have a replacement sensor to swap it with, and as the bike is under warranty it would be senseless to buy one and go through the process myself – only to have KTM repeat it all at some later date if this turned out not to be the problem ...

So I think I’ll stick with plan A, and just let the KTM boys swap the sensor and see if that fixes the problem - sounds simple to me ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #7442
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Why would you replace the screen, it's a cleanable part, just like the oil screens. Pull it off, hit it with some compressed air and slap it back on.
Fair enough, but there's still a filter there next down the line inside the tank and filters get dirty and block, and contaminated.

BygDaddee screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 01:59 PM
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #7443
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Dude – yes I could just unplug the sensor – and then do what? – look at it? – sing to it perhaps? – maybe fondle it a bit? – I don’t have a replacement sensor to swap it with, and as the bike is under warranty it would be senseless to buy one and go through the process myself – only to have KTM repeat it all at some later date if this turned out not to be the problem ...

So I think I’ll stick with plan A, and just let the KTM boys swap the sensor and see if that fixes the problem - sounds simple to me ...

I think what BD is try to say is none of the other models of 690 enduros have a oil pressure sensor so why bother with one now , It's obvious that it is stressing you out , it is not needed and it is some thing else that can go wrong , in your case has gone wrong ,
A lot of us here use the KISS method Which KTM has not , it is an Enduro bike after all.
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #7444
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
I think what BD is try to say is none of the other models of 690 enduros have a oil pressure sensor so why bother with one now , It's obvious that it is stressing you out , it is not needed and it is some thing else that can go wrong , in your case has gone wrong ,
A lot of us here use the KISS method Which KTM has not , it is an Enduro bike after all.
Conversely, if the oil sensor is not in fact the problem and I remove it and the oil pressure is not maintained and ... etc etc etc ... for $16K bike under warranty this is not going to be a good course of action ...

Down the track perhaps ...

Agree re' KISS principle - might be good to somehow transfer that message back to the engineers in Austria ...

Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #7445
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithMe View Post
First enough, but there's still a filter there next down the line inside the tank and filters get dirty and block, and contaminated.
I replace my filter every time I replace the pump. Hmmm, maybe that's what they had in mind all along.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #7446
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I replace my filter every time I replace the pump. Hmmm, maybe that's what they had in mind all along.
Planned obsolesce - us auto builds started in the 70's, going global.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #7447
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Now if only Crankshaft would get his wiring harness out together with some nice ecu setups that eliminate all safetygadgets like clutchgrip preassure switch, sidestand switch and what not...

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #7448
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,488
My fork mods worked great! Nice and plush.
Still working with the rear shock. I got the PDS spring to fit. However, not happy with the action. Ends up with too much preload. That defeats the goal. I may just have to pay for the rear to be revalved. Holy crap that shock almost doesn't need a spring. On the bench I could barely get it to stroke.

On a related not- Those with Safari Tanks. Have you ever considered or found a second valve to put on between the tank and the Safari valve by the reservoir? Stretching that poor hose when raising the subframe to access the shock is brutal. I've used hemostats to pinch the line. That's hard on the line. I was thinking of a small ball valve near the base of the tank.
Hmm, Maybe reuse the disconnect I removed from the injector line.

I got my wide pegs all made up. I'm still milking out a 30+ year old can of Malcolm Smith Silver Husky Frame paint. I've never found a replacement for it yet.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #7449
kevmo250
Seeker

Oddometer: 2
tank bolts

Does anyone have a lead on where to buy tank bolts for the 690. KTM twin and rally raid are back ordered until April
kevmo250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #7450
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo250 View Post
Does anyone have a lead on where to buy tank bolts for the 690. KTM twin and rally raid are back ordered until April
Seems like they do them in runs. I waited for over a month for mine. I only did the top kit. The bottom I just bought a long bolt locally & drilled out the bushing.
FWIW Twins did get them in stock a week sooner than the Backorder date that was listed.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #7451
scholz
bush league

Oddometer: 55
any quick fix for movement in tank? bolts are and have always been checked tight. Need to fix before sandblast rally.

It appears the play is in the bottom bolts assy.

I bought rally raid top bolts but didn't use because stock ones fit better.

Thanks!
scholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #7452
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholz View Post
any quick fix for movement in tank? bolts are and have always been checked tight. Need to fix before sandblast rally.

It appears the play is in the bottom bolts assy.

I bought rally raid top bolts but didn't use because stock ones fit better.

Thanks!
I believe it was PartsMaker? here on adv had a good solution to the easily worn lower tank bushings. Maybe check the Vendors section. I am very happy with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #7453
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
Now if only Crankshaft would get his wiring harness out together with some nice ecu setups that eliminate all safetygadgets like clutchgrip preassure switch, sidestand switch and what not...

I'm heading to the Dyno on Tuesday to refine the map a bit more. It runs great, fires up easily and pulls really good in the mid range. I need to tweak the low RPM, high load portion of the map. The MAP signal is a bit bouncy and needs to be smoothed out a bit.

My 690 is already running far better than it ever did, so my project is a success. It's going to get it's trial by fire at the Sandblast rally in South Carolina a week from today!
Old 02-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #7454
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm heading to the Dyno on Tuesday to refine the map a bit more. It runs great, fires up easily and pulls really good in the mid range. I need to tweak the low RPM, high load portion of the map. The MAP signal is a bit bouncy and needs to be smoothed out a bit.

My 690 is already running far better than it ever did, so my project is a success. It's going to get it's trial by fire at the Sandblast rally in South Carolina a week from today!

Really glad for you!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #7455
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,083
simple question (I think).

What is the valve check interval?

I checked the lc4/690 index but nothing jumped out at me.