Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #31
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
This thread reminded me of a story I read in a magazine that I vaguely remembered. Goes something like this: Reporter of a magazine is meeting a F1 driver at a track. They are going to test drive several fast cars around the track. The F1 driver pulls up in a Lincoln, not some fancy sports car of which he could definitely drive and afford. Reporter was surprised and asked, F1 guy says he can drive fast anytime, he wants comfort when he's on the streets. Maybe they have something there. Still doesn't detract me from wanting that CTS-V wagon with 6 speed.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #32
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
......The Lacrosse has an extremely quite ride; probably the quietest car I have ever driven. It also has an impressive stereo. ....
BTW, I'm glad GM finally started including decent sound. For years, even into the 200X models, they sucked. My 2001 Chevy Express Passenger van has 11 speakers, and they're just 11 sources of crap.

My '97 LHS came w/ a good Infinity 10-speaker system. When it got rear-ended, I bought a '95 Riviera. Each car had it's share of weak and strong points. But the Riv sound system was ultra-lame, especially coming straight out of the LHS.

Best feature on the Riviera? The SEATS. Oh.... My....Gosh. I once did a 600mi day, and felt like I could go another 600 no problem.

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,641
My wife has a 2007 LaCrosse (also inherited from her father). ... I just don't see the car as being all that great. The engine is great (but the 231/3.8 always has been the best engine put out by GM ), but the interior feels very cramped even compared to the beater Dodge Neon that I drive. Even the kids would rather take the Dodge rather than the Buick.

But it is pretty quick.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
p3ga
Rounding Error

Oddometer: 937
Sorry about your loss.

My bride's 2011 just turned 45k miles. Great car, nothing other than gas & regular maintenance. We've been pleasantly surprised, they really nailed it with the Lacrosse.

p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #35
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Guanowife needs a new car and the Buick Encore is at the top of her list for the reasons above -- Quiet is a top priority./
Acura RDX?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #36
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Hmm. That was formerly on the top of her list, but I thought it was ugly and buzzy & helped talk her down from that ledge -- but that was the turbo 4 I drove a few years ago (before SH AWD). The new V6 and subsequent refinements mentioned throughout your link may pull her back, at least for a test drive.

Still, smaller is better, and the Encore beats it there....but it's untested in the real world whereas an Acura is a sure thing. Worth the extra coin if we're going all-in, too.

Must reconsider.....thanks for the vector!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: