Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,878
Should I restore this "P.K. Ripper"?

I've been staring at this SE Racing "P.K. Ripper" frame, and set of Landing Gear forks, for (what seems like) an eternity...

They've been hanging on the pegboard, in my garage, forever.

A little history...

My Parents bought the complete bike for me, at "Bike Barn" (in San Antonio), in about 1981 or 1982. Our garage was burglarized, about a year later; And, coincidentally, the PK was the only thing that was stolen. I guess someone thought they liked my bike more than I did.

Anyhoo, a few weeks later, we were contacted by the San Antonio Police Department. They informed us that the bike had been recovered, and it was returned to me.

For years, I have been thinkin' about restoring it. However, the rear drop-outs have me a little concerned...

From the expert collective, are they (drop-outs) too boogered to ever use the bike, again? If not, is there anyone who would like to be part of the restoration process (in terms of suggestions)?

Although I know that it will be blasphemous to some, I would like to powdercoat both of 'em brown, and match them with light blue Skyways and accessories (SE Racing's team colors).

What do y'all think?

Hello...Is this thing on?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,204
How can you not...
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
How can you not...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
The drop outs can be welded and brought back to original tolerances if it's a problem. I don't know shit about bikes, but if it's aluminum or steel it's no problem. might set you back a hunnert.

If you don't know any good welders let me know, I have a friend in the welding supply biz in San Anne and can get a recommendation

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,248
P. K. Ripper....naw, but if it was a Quad Angle, then you'd have something.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
The drop outs can be welded and brought back to original tolerances if it's a problem. I don't know shit about bikes, but if it's aluminum or steel it's no problem. might set you back a hunnert.

If you don't know any good welders let me know, I have a friend in the welding supply biz in San Anne and can get a recommendation

I will probably be taking you up on that offer...more sooner than later.

I knew there was a reason I liked you Mr. Perterra...

...and it sure as hell ain't your shitty JM threads.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
P. K. Ripper....naw, but if it was a Quad Angle, then you'd have something.

Hater.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I will probably be taking you up on that offer...more sooner than later.

I knew there was a reason I liked you Mr. Perterra...

...and it sure as hell ain't your shitty JM threads.

I aint got time to get wound up right now, heading out the door for some German food, but if I remember when I get back you gonna catch hell

I'll shoot an email to Tiger, he will know some folks

IBA 22425
Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
z-man99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Dropouts are better than most PK's and Race Inc's I've seen, but it you want them perfect again then go for it. How is the seat mast? Look for hairline cracks or damage from the seat post clamp pinching it too hard. A powdercoat might make you happiest but you should be aware that it will significantly diminish the value of the bike. I know that doesn't matter to everyone, but it's good to know these things beforehand.

Another possible option is to have it ball burnished after you've made the drop out repairs. The very same company that burnished this frame 30+ years ago is still at it and can return the frame to its former glory. Personally I like it as it is. If it were mine I'd source some nos decals and build it up with moderately worn original parts.

Congratulations on hanging on to your childhood ride all those years. I love those old SE's.
z-man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Z-man,

Thanks for your post. You're a lot more useful than perterra*. (*He's about a worthless sumbitch.)

I hope you'll see this post, and reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-man99 View Post
Dropouts are better than most PK's and Race Inc's I've seen, but it you want them perfect again then go for it. How is the seat mast? Look for hairline cracks or damage from the seat post clamp pinching it too hard. A powdercoat might make you happiest but you should be aware that it will significantly diminish the value of the bike. I know that doesn't matter to everyone, but it's good to know these things beforehand...

I just peeked at the mast...a little galling/scratching, but no cracks.

In regard to the powdercoating, I kinda' figured that it would hurt more than help (in terms of value).

Quote:
...Another possible option is to have it ball burnished after you've made the drop out repairs. The very same company that burnished this frame 30+ years ago is still at it and can return the frame to its former glory. Personally I like it as it is. If it were mine I'd source some nos decals and build it up with moderately worn original parts...

Do you have the name of the burnishing company?...and a good source for the NOS stickers? (Is it "BMX Planet", maybe?)

Also, do you think I could do a little grinding (very little), on the inside edges of the drop-outs, throw-in some drop-out protectors, and call it a day?

Quote:
...Congratulations on hanging on to your childhood ride all those years. I love those old SE's.

Thanks.

Believe it or not, I believe I also have an ~80% Redline RL-20 lying-around, somewhere.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
headhunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Do it.

If it means something to you definitely do it. That's a cool story and a cool bike. Haters can suck it.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Z-man,

Thanks for your post. You're a lot more useful than perterra*. (*He's about a worthless sumbitch.)

I hope you'll see this post, and reply.

Fuckin whippersnappers. You gonna catch it, but not tonight, the old lady is drunk and I got to make my move before she sobers up.

IBA 22425
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
...the old lady is drunk and I got to make my move before she sobers up.

You go, man!...GET SOME!

See ya', tomorrow.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 AM   #14
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,506
There's a huge culture of old-school BMX bikes/bikers out there.

I picked up this 29" Big Ripper a few months back, super fun.
I wanted to add a set of CW cruiser bars for it, but they were 130 bucks.

Restore it at your own pace, as suggested go over the welds with a magnifying glass, especially around the seat tube, BB and head tube.

Good luck!
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #15
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
What are you waiting for?

My oldest two raced BMX, and my son had a couple of Hutch's that he raced till some thieving bastard stole them out of the garage.

Daughter had a Hawk, which was a square tube frame, and it had Spin CF wheels on it.
She still has it and threatens to race again at age 28.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: