Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #136
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
If he lost 30 lbs, seems like you could have started by just feeding him less of his regular food and he would have had less poo, lost weight, been healthier, with more energy.... Sometimes the answer is pretty obvious. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Obvious as it seems, some dogs just can't lose weight on conventional high carb content dog food.
He was 128 and muscular in his unnuetered state. this was on mostly Pinnnacle or Dick Van Pattens Nautural kibble. He had a bad reaction to a rabies shot, had an emergency surgery to remove two softball size testes ( which were growing so big there was concern his scrotum would split open)

He was sluggish for a few months after that, I didn't blame him, and he no longer had any testosterone to burn off the fat. His weight crept up slowly, he just could not lose the weight on his previous diet, no matter how little of it he ate.

He is now back to his former weight.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #137
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
If he lost 30 lbs, seems like you could have started by just feeding him less of his regular food and he would have had less poo, lost weight, been healthier, with more energy.... Sometimes the answer is pretty obvious. ;)

what's wrong with big poops anyway? When my guy takes a big dump, he looks back at it and acts so proud!

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #138
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Forgo to add, I'm feeding my 57 pound labradoodle Iams Simple and Natural chicken, etc.

I looked for Taste of the Wild, but the local Petco doesn't carry it in store...although their website said they did. Tractor Supply has it but its not convenient. Price wise, TOTW is only about .20 cents a pound more than Iams.

Follow up: Our dog is working his way through his Iams Simple and Natural bag. There are days where he lets it sit for hours before eating. I don't think he likes it. And the gas! He's squeaking out "Silent But Deadlys" all day and night. I thought maybe his anal glands were full, but that's not the case, he's just farting all the time. The UPS man just delivered a 30 pound bag of Taste of the Wild. I'm going to start mixing it into his bowl until the Iams is gone. I sure hope it stops up his methane leak!

We decided to just order Taste of the Wild from Amazon, $46 shipped to our front door!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #139
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,832
If he's anything like mine he'll scarf it down.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #140
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I mixed some TotW into his Iams tonight. He wolfed it down, then licked the bowl clean after he finished. This morning, he did not finish his bowl of Iams, and let it sit for several hours. I think he's liking the taste of the 'Wild" Bison and Venison. I'm just now hoping his farts ease up!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #141
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,992
My dogs get Old Yeller + occaisional table scraps + whatever they can kill on the farm.
If you have to buy gourmet brands to get your dog to eat, it's not the food , it's the lack of exercise. Dogs are decendants of wolves, that that ran down dinner and only ate after they killed or found a kill. A short walk around the block before dinner doesn't cut it.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #142
stiggs13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
my Dals have always gotten a home maid lamb and veg stew with some kraut lamb and rice blend, they seem to like it. The really agressive girl we had calmed down a bit with the fresh lamb.

4 rescues later down to only one, but she likes the menu.
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #143
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
I've been feeding my dog Taste of the Wild for the last year or so now. I used to also have a boxer, and my boxer was a very picky eater. I started feeding him whatever crap the pet store sent me home with. Iams I think. He simply wasn't eating it. He wasn't putting on weight and just didn't seem to care for it. I then made the switch to Taste of the Wild and haven't looked back. He loved it. He would scarf it right up, which he never did before. He no longer had the constant terrible gas, and his coat became much softer and healthier feeling. Switching from the crap bulk pet feed to a quality dog food really made a world of difference.

My boxer died. When I got my Olde English Bulldogge I fed him TOTW from the get go. He was a rescue and was fed 'Ol Roy (I think was the name of that 'food'). Within about two weeks of getting him, his coat looked a hundred times better and his noxious gas was cut way down. To be fair, his gas could have been caused by the sudden change from his old dog food to TOTW. I didn't buy 'Ol Roy just to ween him off of it. I just immediately made the switch.

Bottom line, I can't recommend a real quality dog food highly enough.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #144
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
My dogs get Old Yeller + occaisional table scraps + whatever they can kill on the farm.
If you have to buy gourmet brands to get your dog to eat, it's not the food , it's the lack of exercise. Dogs are decendants of wolves, that that ran down dinner and only ate after they killed or found a kill. A short walk around the block before dinner doesn't cut it.
So as long as he runs a lot I can feed him propylene glycol,phosphoric acid,glyceryl monostearate and titanium dioxide?

I don't think so. I don't treat my friends that way.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #145
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
So as long as he runs a lot I can feed him propylene glycol,phosphoric acid,glyceryl monostearate and titanium dioxide?

I don't think so. I don't treat my friends that way.

This serves the old saying "you are what you eat". I don't give a fuck how much the dog gets to run, they are still composed of whatever they ingest. Their lives are already too short and I care about them way too much to feed them anything less than the highest quality food.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #146
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,758
Okay, so on the subject of dog food/what they are eating, how the hell can I get our new rescue to stop eating his own crap? His regular diet consists of Blue Buffalo Wilderness adult duck recipe, dry. He was eating Newman's Own organics when we got him from the rescue group and we weened him over a couple weeks. He gets fed three times a day, about 1 cup per serving. He's a 43-ish pound poodle mix.

NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #147
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Okay, so on the subject of dog food/what they are eating, how the hell can I get our new rescue to stop eating his own crap? His regular diet consists of Blue Buffalo Wilderness adult duck recipe, dry. He was eating Newman's Own organics when we got him from the rescue group and we weened him over a couple weeks. He gets fed three times a day, about 1 cup per serving. He's a 43-ish pound poodle mix.

Dogs often eat their own crap because they have nutritional deficiencies. With a good diet this may go away on its own as your dog 'fills' its body stores of whatever vitamin/mineral it may have been lacking prior to your rescue. There are a ton of other reasons why they do it, to include that some dogs just like to eat their own crap.

I'd give it a few weeks and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, ask your vet.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #148
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Dogs often eat their own crap because they have nutritional deficiencies. With a good diet this may go away on its own as your dog 'fills' its body stores of whatever vitamin/mineral it may have been lacking prior to your rescue. There are a ton of other reasons why they do it, to include that some dogs just like to eat their own crap.

I'd give it a few weeks and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, ask your vet.
The vet's response during the initial post-adoption visit: "I'd love to have a dog that cleaned up after himself."

I'm hoping it subsides in a few weeks. We'll see.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #149
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
The vet's response during the initial post-adoption visit: "I'd love to have a dog that cleaned up after himself."
it's the circle of LIIFFFFFEEEEEEE
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #150
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mine have always been fond of deer pellets, left in the yard. They've been known to sniff out goose poop too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: