Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #181
TLR_Mart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
The bike went WITH the house sale?
Yes and no. The house was sold, and my dad didn't want to fill up his new garage with the TX750, since I already had my ZX-9R to put away as well. So the bike was offered to one of the people looking at the house. He walked away with the keys to the bike, but not the house ;)

Don't quote me on the price, but I think he got 1$ per CC.
TLR_Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #182
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
A friend of mine owns a Harley repair shop and used to work in their factory, for 12 years.

He says that Harley's are without a doubt the worst bikes ever made. And that the newer ones are even worst than the AMF years. He says that this is the reason why he owns a Harley repair shop. His personal ride is a Victory.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #183
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelTrampin View Post

the one on the right with the liberator bedroom furniture for a seat.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #184
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
A friend of mine owns a Harley repair shop and used to work in their factory, for 12 years.

He says that Harley's are without a doubt the worst bikes ever made. And that the newer ones are even worst than the AMF years. He says that this is the reason why he owns a Harley repair shop. His personal ride is a Victory.
that sounds more like a friend of a friend story or a friends cousins husband. also if you do a little honest digging you'll find that AMF wasn't nearly as bad as urban myth says it was. not great but definitely not that bad, had it not been for amf ,harley would not exist today. bth harley is no less reliable then any other modern bike. certainly the equal of victory.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #185
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Harleys are about as complicated as a two-wheeled tractor so they're pretty reliable as far as I'm concerned. And you see some with huge miles around so that says something as well.

The problem with Harleys as I see it is that if you drive them in anything other than sunny California and lock them in a warm garage during the night they will rust like no other bike I now.

Here in Sweden they're hopeless - leave them outside for one misty summer night and it's all brown speckles. And I'm not only talking about the chrome - the steel and bolts too!!

Then they handle and brake like crap as well so... that's my pick I guess.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #186
Racersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Worst mc? Each had their own personality, but I couldn't label anyone of them as worst. I did have a Lacrosse Montesa 250 that had to be TOWED to 40 mph every time it first started the day to get it going, but it would kick start one kick when warm and was a fast, fun bike after that. Frustrating, perhaps, but probably related to my lack of money for a new stator from SPAIN!
Racersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #187
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I had a '74 Honda CB450 back in '83 as one of my earlier bikes. By the time I got it had been used, abused and poorly maintained. I'm sure when it was in its prime it was a good bike but for me? Six months after I got it, I sold it and never looked back.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #188
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Harleys are about as complicated as a two-wheeled tractor so they're pretty reliable as far as I'm concerned. And you see some with huge miles around so that says something as well.

The problem with Harleys as I see it is that if you drive them in anything other than sunny California and lock them in a warm garage during the night they will rust like no other bike I now.

Here in Sweden they're hopeless - leave them outside for one misty summer night and it's all brown speckles. And I'm not only talking about the chrome - the steel and bolts too!!

Then they handle and brake like crap as well so... that's my pick I guess.
braking test i found on your ktm990 131 feet 60 to 0
braking distance on my hd wide glide with 21 inch front and single disc 118 feet.(to be sure it won't stop that quick 4 or 5 times in succesion)
harley may have thier problems but quality chrome and paint aren't it. if other bikes don't rust it is probably because they are made of plastic.
sure they don't handle like a sport tourer but for a cruiser they handle as well as any and better them some.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #189
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
The worst I ever owned was a 1970 Yamaha RT1 360. I turned it into a trail bike but the suspension was so bad it would go into a tankslapper just coming off a little jump or rolling whoops. I tried racing it a little, but it was hopeless. Eventually the tranny broke. I replaced it with a 1971 Penton Six Days 125. Now that was a real motorcycle, and it's competition was the Yamaha CT1, which was a POS too. I cleaned up on that thing for awhile. But it wasn't long before the Honda Elsinore 125 ate everybody's lunch. That ended the reign of the Sach's powered Euro racers.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #190
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
braking distance on my hd wide glide with 21 inch front and single disc 118 feet.(to be sure it won't stop that quick 4 or 5 times in succesion)
harley may have thier problems but quality chrome and paint aren't it. if other bikes don't rust it is probably because they are made of plastic.
sure they don't handle like a sport tourer but for a cruiser they handle as well as any and better them some.
Next one is a Harley outrunning the 990, pull an other one.
Aussijussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #191
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
Next one is a Harley outrunning the 990, pull an other one.
Why would you be surprised that a low, rear-heavy bike can outbrake a tall dualsport?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #192
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
Yeah, all of the bolts on my bike are made from plastic.
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #193
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Why would you be surprised that a low, rear-heavy bike can outbrake a tall dualsport?
I looked up some figures on braking and surprizing to me, the cruisers actually stop really well, the best being Suzuki Marauder 800, 107ft, V Rod was 109 feet, Triumph Speed Triple 105 ft, Sportster 883 139ft, Road King 126ft, Fat Boy 154ft, KTM ADV 990 125ft
Aussijussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #194
Can-am Kid
n00b

Oddometer: 4
As a wrench in the early 80's when a majority of the nominees were first sold I would have to say the Dneper was the worst bike of all time.

Disassembled it looked like it had been manufactured by a grade 8 shop class using a dull hack saw and a big hammer. All though flying the side car always made me giggle like little girl.

My second choice would be the 1980 Honda Passport. No power, wouldn`t turn without wobbling like a drunk and the suspension was non-existent.

However it the Honda VF750 that made me hang up my wrenches. Beautiful design but a complete bee awch to work on. It is the reason a tune up now costs $$$$$$ and everyone wants to be a Harley mechanic.
Can-am Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #195
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
A tall dualsport with dualsport tires.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote