Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #1561
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Yeah. I know that. I'm saying I would prefer IF the cb1100 had 4-4 pipes.
Me too. But then you lose the center stand. choices choices
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #1562
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plungerhead View Post
Kinda cool that this is my first post on this forum.
I'm "inline4' on the other bike forums but the name was already taken here.
Anyway, I'm losing sleep over the new 1100. I just put a deposit on a non-ABS model at Desoto Honda in Olive Branch, MS.
This past weekend, I sold my '83 CB1100F to a man in Dallas; my '01 Blackbird is about to be listed as "For Sale" anywhere and everywhere.
After months of contemplation, I have decided that, at 59 y/o, my knees and heart NEED the new CB. I haven't been this excited about a new Honda since I bought the first SOHC 750 SuperSport in my area waaaaay back in the day.
I have read every post in this thread and there have been a lot of Yays and Nays regarding this tribute CB. Personally I think Honda got it right for the first time in quite while. I'm confident the new 1100 will be well-received. Of course they won't sell 5,000 units and I'm sure they didn't plan to.
All I can say is DAMN! Is it March yet????
Jim

Well said Jim and welcome to the discussion.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #1563
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plungerhead View Post
All I can say is DAMN! Is it March yet????
Jim
Hey, how do you think I feel? I have to wait until May for an ABS version.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #1564
Justarida
Genius At Large

Oddometer: 42
Decision over DONE!

I was planning to buy a new Adventure bike this spring but while browsing one night I came upon the ride test and photos of the CB1100 at Hell For Leather and since then this Candy and Chrome Time Machine is all I can think of!!
It looks as if Honda has knocked it out of the park for me anyhow.
Ordered my Non ABS yesterday. Looks like mid April delivery.
Lots of sleepless nights and cold showers till then I suppose
Guess the plated XR400 will have to keep up the ADV work for awhile
Justarida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #1565
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justarida View Post
I was planning to buy a new Adventure bike this spring but while browsing one night I came upon the ride test and photos of the CB1100 at Hell For Leather and since then this Candy and Chrome Time Machine is all I can think of!!
It looks as if Honda has knocked it out of the park for me anyhow.
Ordered my Non ABS yesterday. Looks like mid April delivery.
Lots of sleepless nights and cold showers till then I suppose
Guess the plated XR400 will have to keep up the ADV work for awhile
Atta Boy. Well played.

Now, the waiting begins...
Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #1566
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
I was at my local dealer (Engelhart in Madison) today picking up some snowmobile stuff, and asked if the are getting a CB1100 in. The salesman said they have a couple ordered, and have a deposit on one. He's not sure if the other one has ABS or not. They are expected to arrive in April.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #1567
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Congrats to you guys getting one. I simply cant wait to hear real world impressions from real riders. I have never been "I gotta have it first" type person but this bike is tempting. Keep us all posted!
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #1568
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Congrats to you guys getting one. I simply cant wait to hear real world impressions from real riders. I have never been "I gotta have it first" type person but this bike is tempting. Keep us all posted!
I've never been a first in line buyer either, well twice that I can remember, when I got the first CB 350 to come in, and when I got the first 77 KZ 1000 that came in, but generally I sit back and wait a a few years before buying.the FZ1 came out in 2001, I bought a 2004. The ST 1300 came out in 03 and I bought an 06,the Bonneville came out in 2000 and I bought a 2003. However I trust Honda on this and didnt want to miss this one. When I got word that the bike was being imported I went to my dealer and verbally ordered their first one, even though they hadn't heard it was even coming in yet. Two weeks later they got word from Honda and they confirmed to me the first one was mine.If it were a brand new model, I might have waited, but since it's been out for a couple of years in Japan and Australia, I figure if there were any bugs, they'd have been worked out by now.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #1569
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
I really don't see any risk in ordering this bike out of the gate.

First, it's a Honda. The bike was probably massaged so many times before they committed it to production, that it probably had no weak points to start with.

Second, it's been in production for, what, 3-4 years now? Any problems that might have cropped up are long gone now.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #1570
furious_blue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
OK. Am I the only one that wishes that this bike had finned header clamps ?
I'm not sure which of the Japanese manufacturers in the 70-80s was the first to use smooth fin-less header clamps, but I blame Kawasaki..

It's all about the fins baby !
furious_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #1571
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by furious_blue View Post
I'm not sure which of the Japanese manufacturers in the 70-80s was the first to use smooth fin-less header clamps, but I blame Kawasaki..

Are the new Bonnevilles finned? I had one in 09, but don't remember. They and BSA were the FIN people in days gone by...
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #1572
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:

Now that's a detail I haven't thought about before. I wonder if there is a Japanese supplier making something like this. It seems like the kind of thing guys in that market would go for.

If not, I wonder if clamps from some earlier bike might work? The stud diameter and spacing would have to match as well as the exhaust pipe OD and depth of seat. Might be a long shot. Someone with a bunch of parts in their garage might find something that matches up.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #1573
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
I guess I'd put finned header clamps in the same category as rubber fork gaiters - definitely more retro, but not necessarily an improvement.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #1574
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Oh, pul-ease. I don't think they are missed at all. Not by this rider. Fork Gaiters, either.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #1575
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Went to the motorcycle show in Charlotte yesterday. I just shipped my BMW X-Country to its new owner Tuesday so I figured this was a good place to see the bikes I am interested in (Triumph classics, Guzzi Stone and the Honda among others). I had a chance to see and sit on the Honda. Very nice looking bike in person. I thought the Guzzi was nice and fit me well. The Triumphs are nice but were the least comfortable; although certainly not terrible and nothing that some risers couldn't correct. However, "out of the box" the Honda probably felt best. In any case, there was a good crowd around the bike. The guy from the Honda dealership working the booth said that the bike was attracting more attention than any other Honda they had on the floor. To be fair, it seemed like the demographics for the attendees was weighted more heavily to the more "mature" crowd but it certainly appears that Honda may have a winner here. On a completely unrelated note, they had an old Suzuki at the show that had the Wankel rotary in it. Talk about memories! I was a teenager when the Mazda came about and although I could never afford to buy one my mother took me to Mazda dealer the and played along like I was going to get one so I could take it out for a test ride.
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote