Oddometer: 78
Yes they do existent!!

Buelltiful bike to commute on!!
natez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
dwenglis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I used to ride a whole lot more before my son was born. With the weather improving I'm hoping to ride a lot more.

I like the multi but way too spendy. I like the smt but wonder if I will be satisfied with the motor which is less powerful then my current. Not to mention the smt is as rare as hens teeth to find new and pretty much impossible to find used on the east coast. And why spend 14k for a smt when a new tuono v4 is now 13k? If a smt was 10k i would be all over it. Of course a new tuono has the same problems. I think I would be happy with a used capo but again a very rare bike. I like the vfr1200 but I really need to test ride it to see if I like it....very heavy. The ninja 1000 just doesn't stir my emotions at all.

Regardless my next bike will have ABS.

A top box would quiet a lot of my discontent...for a while anyway. I think. So many possibilities.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
dwenglis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's just frustrating! I wonder how hard it would be to fab up a rack? I bet some BMW sport panniers would perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
Touratech enables your deep dark desires.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I've got an '03 Tuono, with dual Arrow high mount exhausts (that I love) so I faced the same issues you did with luggage fitment. In the end, I went with a Ventura rack with two bags (Spada and Delta, both seen below, which gives me just under 100 liters of storage combined).

I combine that with a FAMSA dual tank bag (big 30 liter and a companion 15 liter that zips on top or can be used solo) and generally just run with the smaller bag (seen above) as it's fairly unobtrusive.

That setup is great for commuting as well as touring. When commuting, I generally run just the Spada on the back, which will hold ALL my riding gear and detaches in a couple seconds so I just carry it in to work using the integrated backpack straps, and it's also big enough to hold a week's worth of groceries (I'm long-divorced and no kids).

For touring, I zip on the Delta bag, and it holds my 1-man Hubba tent, sleeping bag, pillow, Big Agnes inflatable down pad, cook stove, water, utensils, etc, leaving the bigger Spada bag to handle bulky but light things like clothing and miscellaneous, while the tank bag holds things like my camera, phone, etc. What you can't easily see in that picture above is that the Spada is resting on the rack portion of the Ventura, not just hanging off the rear of the Tuono.

Even fully loaded with enough gear for a two week camping tour, you really don't know the stuff is back there, it adds no width to the bike, so you can still easily filter through traffic, and it mounts back just far enough to avoid any issues with throwing a leg over the seat or dismounting. The gear is also very water resistant, mine held up great on a long 2500 mile trip to Lolo Pass and back, with steady rain over most of that trip.

Sure, none of it can really be secured on the bike, but like I mentioned, it all comes off (and goes back on) in a matter of seconds. It's also pretty easy to fit cable locks on the stuff for deterring a fast "snatch and grab", and I do make it a point never to park the bike in an "unsafe" area with anything of value in the bags. But I do the same with hard panniers too, since it's child's play to pop the locks on those, there's really no such thing as "secure" motorcycle luggage.

Granted, if you just run the rack with no bags, it looks a bit silly, almost like a sissy bar. But when I'm just out to scratch and look pretty, the rear rack assembly also comes off in seconds, and you can leave it off, or replace it quickly with an unobtrusive grab rail. Either way, it looks a lot better than a heavy rack mounting solution for hard luggage.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Ventura system, it does a lot better than I expected based on my previous experience with soft saddlebags and even the well-built Wolfman Alpha/Beta bags. It does cost a dollar or two, I think I have just under $600 in the bags, rack, grab rail and (never needed) waterproof storm cover.

FYI, my other bike is Sprint ST, with factory hard panniers top box, so it's not like I don't know how nice and handy locking hard bags can be, but the Ventura system isn't that far behind, and it has the huge advantage of easily fitting on most bikes.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
dwenglis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just curious croak but with the sprint which bike do you ride more often and prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
I've got an '03 Tuono, with dual Arrow high mount exhausts (that I love) so I faced the same issues you did with luggage fitment. In the end, I went with a Ventura rack with two bags (Spada and Delta, both seen below, which gives me just under 100 liters of storage combined).

I combine that with a FAMSA dual tank bag (big 30 liter and a companion 15 liter that zips on top or can be used solo) and generally just run with the smaller bag (seen above) as it's fairly unobtrusive.

That setup is great for commuting as well as touring. When commuting, I generally run just the Spada on the back, which will hold ALL my riding gear and detaches in a couple seconds so I just carry it in to work using the integrated backpack straps, and it's also big enough to hold a week's worth of groceries (I'm long-divorced and no kids).

For touring, I zip on the Delta bag, and it holds my 1-man Hubba tent, sleeping bag, pillow, Big Agnes inflatable down pad, cook stove, water, utensils, etc, leaving the bigger Spada bag to handle bulky but light things like clothing and miscellaneous, while the tank bag holds things like my camera, phone, etc. What you can't easily see in that picture above is that the Spada is resting on the rack portion of the Ventura, not just hanging off the rear of the Tuono.

Even fully loaded with enough gear for a two week camping tour, you really don't know the stuff is back there, it adds no width to the bike, so you can still easily filter through traffic, and it mounts back just far enough to avoid any issues with throwing a leg over the seat or dismounting. The gear is also very water resistant, mine held up great on a long 2500 mile trip to Lolo Pass and back, with steady rain over most of that trip.

Sure, none of it can really be secured on the bike, but like I mentioned, it all comes off (and goes back on) in a matter of seconds. It's also pretty easy to fit cable locks on the stuff for deterring a fast "snatch and grab", and I do make it a point never to park the bike in an "unsafe" area with anything of value in the bags. But I do the same with hard panniers too, since it's child's play to pop the locks on those, there's really no such thing as "secure" motorcycle luggage.

Granted, if you just run the rack with no bags, it looks a bit silly, almost like a sissy bar. But when I'm just out to scratch and look pretty, the rear rack assembly also comes off in seconds, and you can leave it off, or replace it quickly with an unobtrusive grab rail. Either way, it looks a lot better than a heavy rack mounting solution for hard luggage.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Ventura system, it does a lot better than I expected based on my previous experience with soft saddlebags and even the well-built Wolfman Alpha/Beta bags. It does cost a dollar or two, I think I have just under $600 in the bags, rack, grab rail and (never needed) waterproof storm cover.

FYI, my other bike is Sprint ST, with factory hard panniers top box, so it's not like I don't know how nice and handy locking hard bags can be, but the Ventura system isn't that far behind, and it has the huge advantage of easily fitting on most bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk