Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #2236
naveenroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Great to have a nice post dedicated to the CBR 250R here on ADV!

Own this bike from India, hoping to pick up some pointers here!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #2237
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 707
Here is a write up on doing valve adjustment on cbr250r
http://motorsportrider.net/Content/M...veAdjust1.aspx

scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #2238
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
Out of curiousity; why would you prefer the 500's over the NC 700?

I wouldn't be suprised if you'd get better milage with the 700 compared to your current 250. That bike should be more in it's element doing 75 - 85.

I havn't ridden on both of them though I think I'd go for the 700, especially for commuting.

Well, at the risk of starting it up again...the 700x has been reported to return 42-48 mpg over and over again, many reports. Yeah, I know a guy riding rural roads in the midwest at 45 mph is gonna get 70 mpg, but for my style of riding I suspect that the 250 can do better at 50 mpg than me myself would personally return on the 700x. I really wanted to try the 700, but I don't think the mpg's are really there for a guy like me.

I'm just saying that if I was bikeless right now and trying to decide between our 250 and the Ninja 300 that I'd take a look at the new 500's. and, I like the 500's because they rev for fun mtn road weekend rides. It's nearly double the HP of the 250 and 50 pounds lighter than the 700, oughta be a good little bike.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #2239
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Well, at the risk of starting it up again...the 700x has been reported to return 42-48 mpg over and over again, many reports. Yeah, I know a guy riding rural roads in the midwest at 45 mph is gonna get 70 mpg, but for my style of riding I suspect that the 250 can do better at 50 mpg than me myself would personally return on the 700x. I really wanted to try the 700, but I don't think the mpg's are really there for a guy like me.

I'm just saying that if I was bikeless right now and trying to decide between our 250 and the Ninja 300 that I'd take a look at the new 500's. and, I like the 500's because they rev for fun mtn road weekend rides. It's nearly double the HP of the 250 and 50 pounds lighter than the 700, oughta be a good little bike.
You probably won't go wrong with either.

Really hoping to get a testride on the 500 / 700 next summer O_O Should be a blast.
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #2240
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
I rode the piss out of an NC700 for 900 miles and got 68mpg average. I was constantly hitting the rev limiter though and it had no balls. My rental was a manual trans.
I hope to rent a 500 and see how it does. hopefully it revs out a little higher while still getting good mpg.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #2241
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I rode the piss out of an NC700 for 900 miles and got 68mpg average. I was constantly hitting the rev limiter though and it had no balls. My rental was a manual trans.
I hope to rent a 500 and see how it does. hopefully it revs out a little higher while still getting good mpg.

That's thanks to the 7K RPM redline those things have...

The mags said "it's not a big deal..." yes it is. Motorcycles are supposed to rev!!!

The 500 is an actual motorcycle engine, not a car engine chopped in half, so it should be good for around 10K RPM. I'm sure you'll like it more than the NC700.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #2242
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

I'm still interested in the 250. I keep coming back to it when I think "commuter tool"
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #2243
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I'm still interested in the 250. I keep coming back to it when I think "commuter tool"

For a 50 mile commute day I think it'd be about perfect. I do 175 a day and the 250 ain't cutting it, especially since the mpg's aren't there.

I'm seriously considering selling three or four bikes and buying a Goldwing, I really like the new bagger, but it should have cruise control for 20k. If I reduce my overall motorcycle fleet the mpg's just don't matter anymore.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #2244
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Here's how I do it, non-ABS bike.

Body side panels off, radiator with fan pulled to the left side, valve cover off, cam chain tensioner off, cam chain slapper over the cams off, cam caps off, rocker shafts out, lift cam and pull the rockers out and set aside, magnet the shims out, new shim stuck to finger with grease, hold cam up with chain in place, pop new shim in, repeat as needed, put back together.

Huge stressful pain in the ass!! I much prefer a large 29 mm valve shim like a KLR, something I can get my hands on.

Plus side? Only one adjustment in 23,000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Here is a write up on doing valve adjustment on cbr250r
http://motorsportrider.net/Content/M...veAdjust1.aspx

I tried to follow that guide and it's not practical for my gigantic 3XL hands.

My way that I wrote up above is better, leaves the tank in place and gives enough room that dropping a shim becomes a non-issue. I don't worry about finding TDC either, just bump it around when the valve cover is off and get the lobes away from the rocker arms, plus they overtightened the plastic plugs on the engine for barring the engine over, I can't get them out.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #2245
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Quote:
For a 50 mile commute day I think it'd be about perfect. I do 175 a day and the 250 ain't cutting it, especially since the mpg's aren't there.

I'm seriously considering selling three or four bikes and buying a Goldwing, I really like the new bagger, but it should have cruise control for 20k. If I reduce my overall motorcycle fleet the mpg's just don't matter anymore.
I couldn't make 175 miles everyday on this little bike. Works really good for my 50 mile round trip and I can't justify anything else for running around town.

Top speed really kills the mpg on the 250, but my stints on the highway aren't nearly what yours are, still get over 60mpg US. I like that new Goldwing, for other people with lots of money.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #2246
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
I like that new Goldwing, for other people with lots of money.

If I look for a new bike that can commute for 300,000 miles without a rebuild only one bike comes up in my mind...Goldwing and it might go further.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #2247
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
If I look for a new bike that can commute for 300,000 miles without a rebuild only one bike comes up in my mind...Goldwing and it might go further.
Many Goldwing guys are dumping the wing for a Burgman or Silverwing scooter.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #2248
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Wings are great. When I'm old, I might get one :-)
My commute is 100 miles a day round trip. About 25 miles are interstate at 75mph. The rest is 55ish and some stop n go downtown.
Why the 250 would work for me:
It can do the 80mph I would need in the rare occasion I need it.
I want a light bike. Stop n Go sucks with a heavy bike.
It needs to be cheap as I'll be leaving it in a parking garage while I'm working.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #2249
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

This is how dumb I am: I put on the new chain on the old sprockets, because I'm just that cheap. Took it for a test ride, but felt some vibration in the bars above 55mph. Sure enough it wasn't really running smooth on the old ones. So I put on the new sprockets- cheapskates always pay twice

The rear sprocket was a pain to get off, mostly because the the bolt heads are allen set. Had to use an impact driver, maybe you're not supposed to, but that is the only way I could get most of them off. Parts were $132.

With all the new Honda bikes, people should still seriously consider the cbr250, inexpensive to buy and maintain, fun to ride and easy to push around the woodshed.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #2250
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,594
Quote:
This is how dumb I am: I put on the new chain on the old sprockets, because I'm just that cheap. Took it for a test ride, but felt some vibration in the bars above 55mph. Sure enough it wasn't really running smooth on the old ones. So I put on the new sprockets- cheapskates always pay twice

The rear sprocket was a pain to get off, mostly because the the bolt heads are allen set. Had to use an impact driver, maybe you're not supposed to, but that is the only way I could get most of them off. Parts were $132.

With all the new Honda bikes, people should still seriously consider the cbr250, inexpensive to buy and maintain, fun to ride and easy to push around the woodshed.

Those were the ones that looked fine 2 pages back, right?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote