Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #481
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Lone traveler, what mods did you do to the Connie? They were kinda aggressive in the seating arrangement, too. Low bars and high pegs. I wanted one but the ex nixed it for a Harley... Shame, too.
The stuff lone traveler mentioned is great. I had a sheepskin on a Corbin seat. I went with a a CeeBaily screen. I took the Genmar bar risers off, because I'm tall. I was all set to buy the murphs peg kit and some crash bars, and the wife told me "I wish you rode a cruiser. I'd ride with you if you did. I miss the harley."

So I dumped it and got an older Shadow 1100.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #482
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
only bike i ever had that i discovered i didn't like?

'84 VF750F Interceptor i bought off a coworker for $700. $40 in ebay parts and 4 hours, i had it running and riding. a $60 complete carb set (swapping the front diaphragms out of my rear pair) and it purred like a kitten.

it rode ok. sounded good. had very good power....

but the riding position was crap. legs tucked up, but forward. bars stretched out to far to the front. didn't fit me. seat height was uncomfortable with the pegs. rode it till i got my ZX7 and sold it for $1200.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #483
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200...

I thought I would love that thing.. But in the end it was heavy and boring.
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #484
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
only bike i ever had that i discovered i didn't like?

'84 VF750F Interceptor i bought off a coworker for $700. $40 in ebay parts and 4 hours, i had it running and riding. a $60 complete carb set (swapping the front diaphragms out of my rear pair) and it purred like a kitten.

it rode ok. sounded good. had very good power....

but the riding position was crap. legs tucked up, but forward. bars stretched out to far to the front. didn't fit me. seat height was uncomfortable with the pegs. rode it till i got my ZX7 and sold it for $1200.
I had a 91 VFR,it wallowed in corners,took too long to do a simple oil change,odd seating position,too much bodywork in general and brittle to boot. It looked and sounded neat and was sold quickly.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #485
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpicEngine View Post
Versys. Fun in the twisties. Reliable as a wood-burning stove. GREAT little motor. Hauled me and my gear across Montana at fairly illegal speeds a few times.
I just can't get my 6'3" 230 comfortable on it, even after $500+ in seats, screens, and risers.
Have you tried lowering the pegs? Also if you need to slide back further, there's a Terry Adcox flat seat (not mine):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7630244363554/
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #486
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,027
I used peg lowers on an ER6N, and it made a world of difference. Had a Corbin seat and it was only a slight improvement.

www.ninja650shop.com/ Check with these guys and see if the lowers they have will work on the Versys. Almost bought a Versys, but got a Duke 690, instead. Great bike, but much more expensive, than the Kawi.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #487
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
You know, the only bike I'd gigged on this thread was the CBR929RR, which I actually owned. I've spent about 2-3K miles on an R1200R. Nice motorcycle. Light enough, powerful enough, with the OE bags, plenty of capacity, and room for a passenger. But about as stirring and engaging as flat Coke. Nice to look at, but not to marry.

Sigh.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #488
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 285
2009 Stelvio

Bought it new. LOVED that motorcycle.

Too bad it was an unreliable piece of JUNK. It got to the point of not trusting it enough for the 8 mile commute to work. Let alone going anywhere.

Off-loaded it after 5 thousand miles. Kinda sad, cause there is a lot of good about those things.

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #489
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,378
What was unreliable about the Stelvio?
what broke?
why did it break?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #490
Mordgier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.

I loved the bike when it ran right. Sadly it did not do so all that often.
Coolant hoses poped off and bulged. Rear axle bearings dried up and failed. Bike was an unbearable furnace in 90F+ weather even in full leathers. Getting it started in the cold was a chore. The fuel gauge would stop working in the cold as well. Right heated grip stopped working. Sometimes the engine would stall when cutting the throttle. All this in less than 16k miles.

I loved riding the bike. I hated the clueless dealers, expensive parts with long wait time (5 weeks for wheel bearings).
Mordgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #491
Levert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
74 CZ250,wow,ugly loud and it at the time was fast, it vibrated,leaked and it hated people,me especially\
H1 kawa,when the gods allowed for the 1% it all works it was all grins, most of the time I had my hand up its arse.
84 GS1150EF, motor galour!!, Electrics by Mr Bean, no ohms law regard made you hate.
ST4S, probably not really bad.. but I thought it was going to be Sophia Loren with some Shaquira. It always liked to remind you how brilliant Italians are and how they dont car what you think. Because adjusting valves on both sides and making excuses up for why everything is not working is normal.
97 KTM 300, I had a CR500 for years, it was fun. The KTM had two sides , one , the motor was only tuned for off and on, so in between number 2,the seat could gnaw your rectum off.
and it seized a lot, no oil in any mixture whatsoever could stop it from exploding.It never imploded.

To all you hypermotard haters, sham on you for your foul hatred and bold faced lies
Levert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #492
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Best thread response so far Levert !

I'm hoping you're happy with your present mount ?

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #493
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I bought an XR650l. Big bore, high compression. HRC cam. Ported and valve job by XRs Only, so I knew it was done right. 17in. Wheels. It had been lowered by some real suspension guys, so I knew that was right too. Carrillo rod and the crank was built by Falicon. The engine was done right and for high dollars. It worked OK. It wasn't dog slow, but it wasn't fast either. It cornered OK. But the bike was disappointing to me overall. When cold, the carburetion sucked.
When hot, it sucked also. In the middle, it was perfect. The high compression made it ping on most premium gas, and coupled with the big bore kit, if it didn't start immediately, the battery would drag down and die. I push started it more than a few times at gas stations and stores..

I traded it for a low miles Sportster, which was a piece of shit, but that's a whole 'nother story.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #494
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Let me start back in 1976 , bought a Z-1 900 after reading all the magazine reports . It was a 75' with 6,000 miles on it . All broke in so WFO on the way home , speedo would only get to about 140 . Also where was that power surge that would rip my arms off ? Don't get me wrong , I liked it and went way to fast for brakes , tires and headlight . Next letdown was a 1986 Aspencade Goldwing . Wasn't as smooth as my V-45 Sabre and was about as fun as a two wheeled motorhome . Damn thing was so wide my bad hip hurt like hell on even a modest ride . And fuel mileage as good as any dump truck . My Wee Strom is pretty damn good except for the buffeting . Tried "the bracket" and 4 different windshield and 2 different helmets . First bike in 43 years of riding that I have to wear ear plugs for any length of road trip . After having 3 V-45 Sabres and one V-65 I am a ruined man . Strom is first non belt or shaft bike in 29 years . Where is my 500cc V-4 Adventure bike with bulletproof shaft drive ? And under 400 lbs without 25" of suspension travel (my ass is only 30" from the ground) . Thinking I need to convert my last Sabre over to FI and trade the WeeStrom in on a DR200 for the off pavement stuff .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #495
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,685
At least.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote