Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #121
tmills
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I had a KLR 650 put lots of miles on it but because my wife wanted to go with me so I traded it for a 1999 Vulcan 88. I love it comfortable, good 2 up my only complaint is the small tank.
Sent from my SGH-I957M using Tapatalk 2
tmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #122
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 776
I've gone back and forth on how much I like my little cruiser. Loved it when I first got it, but went through a period of not appreciating it very much. Probably doesn't help that I'm kind of stuck with it at the moment, because even if I could sell it for something else I'd like to try-- I couldn't get enough out of it to get what I'd be after.

As of late, however, I've come back to liking the heck out of my '05 S40. A good little bike that doesn't complain about what I ask it to do. I've added some stuff to it to make it more to my liking and that's been an improvement over when I first bought it. What it needs most now is a better seat to help with better long term comfort. Also has some shortcomings that I can't really fix, but I'm just happy to have a motorcycle at all right now.

Come summertime I hope to take a long trip on it and see how it does over long distances. So far the furthest I've been on it was a 300 mile round trip which is when I realized how absolutely god awful the stock seat is. Way too soft. Only saving grace was the stuff I had packed on the pillion gave me something for back support. Probably won't be able to put a better seat on before my excursion, but since I'll be in no hurry to get anywhere I'll take lots of breaks to keep the pain to a minimum.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #123
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
well I have 2 things,

I read the last 5 or 6 pages and I love your input on cruisers.

So the other day I rode with a bunch of cruisers (and tomorrow I will repeat) and I was surprise at the speed they were cruising on the straights, specially the guys that had vstars 650 who were 2 up! ok nothing above 80 but still I was impress at the acceleration they where putting on, maybe they wanted to keep up with the guys with 1300's and 1800's hondas. Of course came twisties time, the low clearance and cruisers show it's low side and I was going 20-30 mph slower than normal (for me on my KLR). So I was getting on the breaks TOO much, until I left them behind for safety reasons.

and this brings me to my second point, comfort is very personal, on past pages a couple or guys have mention that cruisers are better adventure bikes than dp bikes (such as the KLR) and I have to say NO WAY, of course everybody has their opinions, and I think everybody should look for what work best for him/her.
Here in the cruiser tread, I am guessing a more pro cruiser crow, at the same time in KLR tech days I have heard many guys say "there no amount of money that will get me back on a cruiser, they are so uncomfortable" I have also heard of people saying "my R1 is the most comfortable bike I have ever own or driven" So that means everybody has there likes and dislikes. A person here said the KLR was odd around town because it was too tall, I like it around town BECAUSE it is VERY tall! and that gives me a better view of the road and cars ahead, when I am on my scooter I really am looking for the extra tall view (even do I am just 5'7" with a 30 in inseam and the KLR seat is 35 inches tall) . About the seats? also is very personal, many people hate it, I have no problems until hour #7-8.

I have full hard bags and I did not spend $1500 maybe like 600 for 150 liters of storage and racks, if your cruiser has no luggage then you will be spending a lot of cash also (see this yamaha JUST hard bags over $700 http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/.../0/detail.aspx)

I hope to ride a cruiser one day, I don't do much 2 up, and the KLR is not the bike for it, and yes I have done 300+ mile days, but I would like to add a better 2 up bike one day and I like the look of cruisers, and maybe if I get one I will have more 2 up days!

Ride your bikes!! that is what I like the most!! scooter, cruiser or DP!

Damasovi
Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #124
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperama View Post
Never was much of a cruiser guy until I bought my '10 Thunderbird. I got it used with under 2,000 miles and the entire accessory catalog thrown at it. What wasn't on the bike was still new in the box. It also has the 1700cc big bore kit installed. It's a 700+ lb freight train that always turns heads. I only use it locally and on day trips. It handles like a much lighter bike.

WOW!

That's a gorgeous ride!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #125
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Looking to add a 2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600 to the garage in the near future. It will compliment the fz1 good i think.

it will used for commuting and do some leisure ride .

satz
You're gonna love the Nomad. I have the 08 black/red 1600 and I love it. Comfortable, reliable and plenty of power. I love long rides in comfort
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #126
manban9888
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Nomad is one of the best of the Japanese touring cruisers. I had a '97 Vulcan 1500 Classic, the bike that the Nomad is based on. It was a very comfortable ride, and the vibration from that big v-twin is very relaxing. Mine was short lived however. I bought it used with fairly high mileage, and it fell victim to the notorious POG (plastic oil pump gear) problem that plagued earlier versions of that engine. Kawasaki refused to fix it because it was out of warranty, even though it was a known factory defect. They should have done a recall on it but didn't. However, they did remedy the situation in '99, by switching to a steel gear, so '99 and up models are very reliable. The Nomad does use side opening bags, which to me are harder to load than top opening bags, but that is mostly a matter of personal preference.
The 99 Nomad still had the pog. It was the last year of them. I have the side loading bags on the 08 and are much better imo than the bubbly top loading ones. I agree they are ridiculously comfortable and absolutely love my Nomad. Whatever gets you on the road is the right bike
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #127
manban9888
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I think the R1200C is an awesome bike in all it's forms. Back in the day I wanted one BAD. I especially liked the "Montana" version. I wish BMW had kept making it.

Now I own a 2008 Nomad and love it. I bought it last September with less than 800 miles on it. I have been meaning to check to see if it still has the baffles. Some people say it is loud. Sounds good to me. I like the side opening bags. It's easier to get to everything inside. Top opening bags are good too.
I have the 08 Nomad and absolutely love it. Very reliable and comfortable.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #128
manban9888
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
I originally wanted a dual sport, but then financial reality set in and rather than try to save up for a year for a down payment, I jumped at the chance to buy this from a co-worker I got my 2004 V-Star 650 Classic with 8,500 miles for all of $1,400 with the windshield and saddle bags This bike has been spectacularly awesome as a first motorcycle. It's not light, doesn't have too much power (31 hp and 34 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel on the dyno), but it's got enough to get the job done

9 July 2011 - Out on the old highway south of Jean, NV

3 September 2011 - Stopped at the Hackberry General Store on Route 66 a ways north of Kingman, AZ

3 September 2011 - Heading eastbound on Route 66 just outside of Seligman, AZ

2 January 2012 - Evening on the Scenic Loop in Red Rock Canyon just outside of Las Vegas, NV

15 June 2012 - Out at the Wedge Overlook on the San Rafael Swell near Price, UT

15 June 2012 - Stopped at the east end of the Swinging Bridge near the Buckhorn Draw on the San Rafael Swell near Price, UT

These are just a few of my pics from my travels on two wheels. I put 13,000 miles on the odometer in the first 12 months I owned this bike which is quite a bit considering my daily commute was only four miles round trip. I started riding in June of 2011. I took my first really long ride (long to me - I'm not RTW Doug or Rollin' ) in September and went from Vegas down to Prescott and Jerome, AZ. That trip included some serious corners and thunderstorms! I went from Vegas to Anza, CA in November. The Cajon Pass was interesting on that trip with 55 MPH crosswinds gusting to 75 MPH and lots of big rigs

I've only taken one really long ride since then which was the day I moved from Las Vegas, NV to Price, UT. 420 miles, lots of uphill and headwinds with the throttle wide open to try to keep up with some of the traffic. I'm still riding as much as possible and I've found that while a V-Star isn't really a dirtbike or a dual sport, it'll do just fine on dirt roads as long as I keep the speed down Trust me when I say you don't want to hit deep loose sand at 40 MPH on this bike - it'll double your vocabulary and triple your prayer life

I managed to lose one of the saddle bags somewhere along one of the roads so I've been making due with a backpack for the time being. I also haven't been able to ride as much as I'd like due to weather (what's up with all this cold white stuff in the winter ) and due to a lack of excess gas money as that's going to my wonderful 6 month old daughter

Yes, I'd love to have an F700GS, a DR650, or a TW200, but until finances improve I'm happy to have a motorcycle that's easy to ride, versatile, and a hell of a lot of fun Even then, I'm pretty sure I'll keep this bike for around town and short distance street use and just add a dual sport for the dirt because this is just such a nice riding bike
The vstar is a great reliable bike. Whatever gets you on the road and smiling
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #129
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
The vstar is a great reliable bike. Whatever gets you on the road and smiling
I agree 100%
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #130
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I have ridden a Vulcan Nomad, and it was like a La-Z-Boy on wheels. So relaxing and comfy. But it is a huge bike, and not as much fun for going fast. My V-Star 650 was very smooth and easy to ride, but a bit slow on the open road. The Sportster is none of those things. It is a harsh machine. It wants to go fast, but only if the road is straight. The ride is tolerable, but not comfortable. It demands more attention because the suspension and brakes are completely inadequate for the powerful engine. But it has grown on me, and I enjoy it as much as anything.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #131
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,419
Unlike every other bike of it's size, the Sportster is a bike with CHARACTER. It is noisy, it shakes like crazy, and the suspension is rock hard. It is the kind of bike I've already fallen in love with, just because of those things. It reminds me of my '66 Triumph, but sounds even better, and is reliable. But I was a lot younger when I had that. But I haven't bought one, because at 6' 230 with a 34" inseam, I just don't fit well. It would be a bike that got worked on a lot, and only ridden occasionally, mostly locally. It's just to small to take a trip on. Now a Dyna Super Glide on the other hand.......
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #132
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Cotton Ball is gone, just like most everything else old. The old brick school building where I went was taken over by some historical society and partially restored.

1) The way I see it most cruisers are far better adventure bikes than dual sports because they are more comfortable,

2) have a MUCH better seat, have a lower center of gravity, and you don't need a ladder to get on them.
3) Anything can be dropped, though my 11 year old 78,000 mile Vulcan 750 never has been.

IF you are strictly riding off road trails, then a cruiser is not the right bike. But if your travels are mostly on pavement and smooth graded dirt or gravel, you would be hard pressed to do better than a cruiser. A cruisers one weak point is a lack of ground clearance, and maybe weight on the really big ones.

4) I have found 750 sized cruisers will go almost anywhere. The Vulcan makes about 60 hp, though it's motor is a bit high strung. A 45-50 hp motor in the same sized bike, with a lot more torque would be more useful. The Vulcan 750 is a 1985 design, which makes it more practical in a lot of ways than newer cruisers where they put style first.

5) I have ridden all over the country (not to Alaska) on cruisers. In 2001 I traded my 80,000 mile '93 Vulcan 750 for a new KLR650. The seat was so bad I gave it up in less than a year, and traded it for a brand new '02 Vulcan 750.

5.1) Other issues with the KLR were a lack of any place to carry anything (yes, $1500 worth of panniers would have fixed that, but I didn't want to spend that much money on a bike with such a poor excuse for a seat)
5.2) It also lacked power on the freeway where the Vulcan cruises effortlessly at 80 mph, and
5.3) it was so tall it felt awkward in town.
mmm, this might be biased, a little ? ok, points numbered...

1) control, clearance, power, weight, look around, the tool is not a cruiser for exploring all types of terrain.

2) seats can be replaced, or not, whichever. softer is not better.

3) I'm not sure if that an achievement, or just sad. bikes need naps, just like us.

4) I'm sorry, this is just wrong. a curb will stop some. a tight corner or narrow pathway also. "anywhere a car can go", yes ill agree.

5) trading in a klr, at a dealer, must be the epitome of bad financial decisions. and why was it traded ? the seat ? you won't spend $150 for a seat replacement, but loosing your ass at the stealership makes sense ? that's a real stretch man.

5.1) $1500 panniers ? oh come on. those $50 pleather saddlebags will toss over a dualsport, harley, two smoke, adv, moped, bicycle, or any seat just as easily as there are currently tossed over your cruiser's seat.

5.2) ok, now try cruising at 99mph, is your current bike still unstressed and powerful at that speed ? see, there are limits to every bike, we've just found another.

5.3) dualsports KILL in town boredom and eat it for breakfast. lean, swerve, and wear the tits off the edge of the tires. grins ensue and monotony is banished. if it felt too tall, you were doing it wrong. the low rpm pull of a thumper loves carving up city streets.

if you like a genre, that's fine. you don't have to justify anything. let's just keep it real.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #133
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
To each, his or her own. :-)

I find a dual sport in-town to be less than fun. Squashy suspension, wrong tires, tippy-toe height, etc. Taking a little UJM is about the easiest and most nimble, in my experience/opinion. A big cruiser will be ponderous, but that's about it.

As for tight corners or narrow pathways stopping a cruiser, as well "anywhere a car can go", I don't think I've ever seen a cruiser that wide. I can't recall ever giving up on going somewhere on a cruiser because a turn was too tight to navigate around. As for actual width, some of the widest bikes I've ever seen are a number of ADV types with huge panniers stuck out off the sides. A number of them being KLRs in fact.

I don't understand the 99 mph comment. Can't think of many adv type bikes that cruise at that speed relaxedly or comfortably. I can think of a fair number of cruisers that can.

Not that I think a cruiser is a do everything bike. It's simply a type, nothing more. It can do quite a bit more than many folk expect it to be able to do though. Especially when properly farkled.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #134
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
I've gone back and forth on how much I like my little cruiser. Loved it when I first got it, but went through a period of not appreciating it very much. Probably doesn't help that I'm kind of stuck with it at the moment, because even if I could sell it for something else I'd like to try-- I couldn't get enough out of it to get what I'd be after.

As of late, however, I've come back to liking the heck out of my '05 S40. A good little bike that doesn't complain about what I ask it to do. I've added some stuff to it to make it more to my liking and that's been an improvement over when I first bought it. What it needs most now is a better seat to help with better long term comfort. Also has some shortcomings that I can't really fix, but I'm just happy to have a motorcycle at all right now.
I feel the exact same way about my Suzuki M50. When I first got it I enjoyed rocking it around town and just really loved it. I fell out of love with it because it's a bit of a harsh ride for daily use, just wears you out on the bad roads where I live, plus it's subpar on the highway for longer trips. But when I bought a bigger bike and only used the m50 as intended (short commutes and cruise nights) I realized it's really just such a fun hoot to ride, not to mention dead sexy looks. Therefore I keep it around for that purpose.
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #135
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
To each, his or her own. :-)

I find a dual sport in-town to be less than fun. Squashy suspension, wrong tires, tippy-toe height, etc. Taking a little UJM is about the easiest and most nimble, in my experience/opinion. A big cruiser will be ponderous, but that's about it.
YEs!!! I now, to each his own. I do see a cruiser in my stable one day, but never (I hope) will I give up the DP bikes, they fit me very well.

THe thing that holds me back on the cruiser side is ground clearance, I do ride with friends who have them but when speed bumps appear they just slow down! and twisties? same thing. Very they are not good riders, but they also complain a lor of the heavy weight of their bikes.

I am sure they are comfortable for many, and some people love the loud pipes. A friend had to drive my klr so we switch and we rode some 30-50 miles before returning to our bikes, he got my KLR650 and I hot his honda 600 and we compare notes, he said it the KLR was borring, it was like sitting on a couch (laz boy) and I said i feelt that my ass was going to hit the floor. He said "there is VW sound instead of a real exhaust
I said, "I could NOT listen to the road" we were both happy to return to our bikes!. My friend is 5'10" or so so the seat height was a none issue, I am 5'7"ish and the cramp position was not a problem either

I do have hwy pegs on the klr as well as on my scooter just for added comfort.

Cheers!

Damasovi