User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #931
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
XT225 Engine in BW200

Over on the yahoo group, one of the members did an XT225 engine swap into a BW200E. Looks like everything should be pretty simple - as far as engine swaps go. He used the original XT225 CDI and coil.

In that project, the original BW200 carb was used. Seems like that would cut down on the power gain from the swap.

Also, he apparently used the BW200 harness. Would there be much of an advantage to switching to an XT225 harness?

BWSwamper screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 07:15 AM
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #932
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Well bummer here.. took off the clutch on gf's BW200 tonight and it appears the shaft that holds the idler gear is missing or just sheared off whatever the main bigger shaft is here..

Overall view of the case side, you can see the kickstart gear on the very left and the shaft that holds the clutch, but the one inbetween is now basically an empty "hole".

Close Up of the where the idler shaft/gear is suppose to be.

Previous owner did tell me he removed the kickstart and had to push start the bike, so this must be the reason why. Not sure if this is repairable (at least w/o splitting the case and putting in an all new shaft) so I'll just keep it push start I suppose.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #933
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 730
epix1718,

That's a major bummer about the damage. The utility of an off-road bike is cut dramatically when it is push start only. If you have the ability to split the cases and get the kicker reinstalled, I think it would be worth the effort.

BWSwamper,

Did the XT225 plug into the BW's harness? I wouldn't think that they were compatible and it would make the xt225's harness the logical choice for the transplant. Not having to rely on the 200's vanishing supply of faulty CDIs would almost be enough to motivate the swap for most owners.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #934
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Mr. BW,
I bought an '85 Tri-Z front end for my BW.
Triple clamps and all.
Is this a bolt on or are there modifications to the bearings or steering stem?

I have the hub and front disc also.
Does the BW wheel bolt to this hub?

I don't have a brake yet. I have an XR650R caliper so I'll probably go with that.

I have the go,now I'll have the longer legs and the whoa!
Thinking about replacing the rear drum with a disc set up also.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #935
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

BW225 Details

Mr. BigWheel,

The "Montysan" XT225 conversion posts over on the Yahoo Big Wheel group don't have to0 terribly much detail, but he did post some photos. These are about 5 years old and it looks like Montysan has sold his BW and wandered off.

One of the photos shows what appears to be the left handle bar control switch from the XT225, so I conclude that he did use an XT225 harness. He definitely used the XT225 coil and CDI.

He decided to cut and bend the frame down tube to make the standard XT225 front mounting bracket work. I believe I would try to make a custom front motor mount that would work with the standard frame. That would be a piece others could replicate and would allow a future reverse conversion.

The photo album of Montysan's conversion are album number 102 on the Yahoo Big Wheel website. That's several pages down in the photo section. The resolution of the photos is not that high, but are adequate.

Shercoman,
I have the same question. There are aftermarket upgrade bearing kits for the BW200. They are from Moose Racing, I think. If this is an exact bolt up, perhaps it would be a good time to drop in the new upgrade bearing kit. But, I'm not clear on whether I would need Tri-Z steering bearing, BW steering bearings, or whether they are identical.

http://www.mooseracing.com/products/...oductId=114490

Mr. BigWheel,
Does one need a Tri-Z axel and spacers to make the Tri-z hub/disc work, or will the BW front axels and spacers do the trick?

BWSwamper screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 09:05 AM
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #936
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 136
Hi,

How do you call that flag on the rear of that motorcycle?
Where can I buy such a flag with stick an mounting?

Thank you,

Röhrich
Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #937
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Dune Flags Link

(For avoiding head on accidents at the crest of a sand dune or hill.)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/se...erm=dune+flags
Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #938
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Röhrich View Post
Hi,

How do you call that flag on the rear of that motorcycle?
Where can I buy such a flag with stick an mounting?

Thank you,

Röhrich
one of the best setups i have seen!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #939
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Rox Risers - Cable Length

Cliff H,

Was there any trouble with the cable length when you put those Rox risers on? Looks like those are the two inch model.

Also, wanted to point out that photo six of the motocross track photos from last summer does indeed show a big red dog darting across the track in the back ground.

BWSwamper screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 04:31 PM
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #940
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 248
BWSwamper:

Yes those are a 2" Rox riser. They allow me to use either a 7/8" or a 1-1/8" handlerbar (I went with a 1-1/8" Renthal Twin Wall). I had no issues with cable lengths, but I don't think that you could go much higher without issues.

As far as the Tri-z fork conversion (Mr. Bigwheel will say that I am only qualified to say "It's the CDI stupid"), from what I remember the '85 forks did not require a bearing change for the conversion. On my #2 bike with the '86 forks, I think that I remember Mr. Bigwheel changing the bearings while making the swap. I was spending about 2 hours changing the right foot peg, and trying (with moderate failure) to rebuild the brake caliper while he was swapping forks. I bought a new piston and seals to rebuild the caliper from a '85 Yamaha XT 350, as they seem to be the same as the Tri-z caliper. The Tri-z axle was used along with the hub. I think that the BW spacers are the same as the Tri-z's. The bigwheel front wheel can also be used with this setup.

Cliff h screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 10:33 PM
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #941
Cliff h

From a ride I did this weekend with some friends who were on quads. This is the only pic I have as my battery died while out on the (snowmachine) trail. I friend is supposed to email his pics from the trip to me. Mr. Bigwheel was kind enough to let me use his 25" studded Mud Buster tire which proved to work much better in the snow than the 22"er that I had been using. The BW did well as well as the quads in the snow, and got stuck about the same # of times as they did, only it was easier to get the BW unstuck.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #942
Cliff h

lol, I never noticed the dog in that pic. I swear he is not a relative of mine even though we may share some common DNA.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #943
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 136
Here are more pictures of the BW200 wheels.

Regards,

Röhrich
Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #944
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 730
Röhrich,

What museum are you going to display that BW in? Surely, you are not going to ride it through dirt, mud and bugs, are you?

Shercoman,

My intent to photographically document the Tri-Z conversion on Cliff's #2 ended up alongside my New Year's resolutions. However, some salient points are thus:

1.) The triple clamps bolt up without any modification. I just use the opportunity to replace the loose ball bearings on the top with a tapered bearing.

2.) The BW wheel will bolt up to the Tri-Z hub. You will need a Tri-Z axle, since the Z axle threads into the bottom of the fork tube (which is a smaller diameter hole than the nut used on the BW) The '85 and '86 Z axle are interchangeable.

3.) The non-brake side axle spacer from the BW will work on the Z axle. However, You will need a Z spacer on the brake-side for the conversion. The BW doesn't use one at all on the brake side.

4.) The easiest way to get the front brake operational is with a Tri-Z caliper. Sure, they are quarter of a century-old, single pot, three wheeler brakes, but they bolt right up and can be used without any fabrication.

http://www.xt225.com/projects/discbrake.htm

This is a link to a machinist who put a disc on the rear of his XT225. It might be of some interest.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #945
Duster11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Look what followed me home. That's right, a pink and white RT100!

Oh, and the BW350 that's in front. It's a bit of a project so I'll be seeking help once I get started on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us