Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
xathor OP
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 438
Next step after a WR250R

Greetings.

I'm looking for a suitable upgrade from my 2009 WR250R that I have put a few thousand miles on. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to ride it as much as I would have liked to because of my job.

I'm trying to find the successor to my WRR. If Yamaha had come out with a WR450R... I'd be all over that! There really isn't anything wrong with the WRR, just a few things I would like to improve upon with my next bike.

1.) Interstate manners. I feel the WRR is tapped out cruising at 75-80mph. With any luggage at all it feels like I am nearly pegging the throttle just to maintain that speed. I feel like something with a bit bigger displacement would alleviate the issue.

2.) Torque. After riding my WRR elusively for quite a while, I hopped on my KLR650 that I also owned at that time. I realized that I missed having that little extra power. I think #1 and #2 go hand in hand.

3.) Kick Starter. After suffering a dead battery one day on my WRR after I left the heated grips going... I had a really hard time push starting it. I eventually had to go get my car and jump start it. I've searched and it seems KTM is the only brand still putting a kick starter on their new bikes.

4.) Pedigree. KTM, BMW, Husqvarna, Ducati... they all have that name that kind of oozes class. Well at least in my mind. Of course these all come with a price tag. I have a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket so I don't mind spending that extra money when it comes to getting a better product.

5.) After market support. I plan on turning this bike into a very nicely farkled adventure tourer that isn't a overweight street bike.

6.) Low maintenance. I plan on using this bike for long distance. TAT/Alaska/Whatever. I want to explore while I am still young (27/Single/No Kids) and don't want to have to worry about having to rebuild the motor every few thousand miles.

7.) Light weight. I'm not a very big guy. I'm 5'9 and 160lbs with a 31-32" inseam. I can easily pick up the WRR off the ground repetitively. I'm not so sure I can pick up my Tiger 800xc more than once. I remember getting stuck on a trail and having to pick up my 2009 KLR650 out of the mud. That sucked. Heavy bikes do not inspire confidence in me.

So far I have looked at the KTM 500EXC and the KTM 690 Enduro R. Unfortunately the 690 does not have a kick starter and the 500EXC seems to have very frequent maintenance intervals. I don't suppose 6000 miles for a valve check is that bad... but certainly not the 26,000 miles on the WRR. I used to check the valves every 1000 miles on my 2276cc engine I built for my old 1964 Beetle. Checking the valves on it was painfully easy and somewhat fun to do. I suppose if the bike has short maintenance windows but they are easy to do then that isn't a problem.

My internet is painfully slow here and most image websites are blocked... I plan on buying this bike when I get back state side and start farkling it for my TAT trip in June-ish. Any help finding bikes that I may not have considered is greatly appreciated.

-Nick
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (Stolen/Totaled)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)

xathor screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 10:31 AM Reason: I cant spel
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote