Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I don't know the answer to that, but the specs say it has a 4.5 gallon tank, and I'm sure it gets better than 25 mpg, especially when touring, so I'm inclined to think that anyone claiming it only has a 100-mile range has some other agenda to promote.

PhilB
I have no agenda. After 100 miles, be prepared to fill up at the next station, or get out and push. As noted, it's closer to a 3 gallon than 4.5. My point is that while it is great for what it is, it's not a great tourer.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
I have no agenda. After 100 miles, be prepared to fill up at the next station, or get out and push. As noted, it's closer to a 3 gallon than 4.5. My point is that while it is great for what it is, it's not a great tourer.

David
The guy who you say "as noted" did not say what you think he said. He said the gas light comes on at a little over 100 miles, but it only takes 3 gallons when that happens. Meaning it still has a gallon and a half left in it and you can go another 30 or 40 miles before you have to worry about stopping. Sheesh.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
I'll send some pictures, but right now we have foot and a half of new snow on the ground ( KC ) .
Post some when it melts.
Actually less vibration through the grips than my 1200RT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
If you'd be willing to post some pictures of it set up like that I'd sure love to see it.

Love to hear what it's like to spend a few hours on it. As in those skinny hand grips, any vibration issues, the seating position, etc.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I don't know the answer to that, but the specs say it has a 4.5 gallon tank, and I'm sure it gets better than 25 mpg, especially when touring, so I'm inclined to think that anyone claiming it only has a 100-mile range has some other agenda to promote.

PhilB

I have zero time on a Diavel but spent two years riding an 1198 with a "4.1" gallon tank which was really about 3.5 if you were to run it dry. The Ducati fuel pumps seem to take up about a half gallon of capacity inside the tank. When the light came on my 1198 you needed to stop for gas or chances are you'd run it out. That usually happened around 85 miles if you were hard on it and 100-105 if you rode with constraint.

My best guess is that the Diavel has around 3.9 usable gallons until you're walking.

PMC screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 02:28 PM
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Definitely an interesting bike, haven't had the chance to ride one yet. What appeals to me is the low center of gravity and seat height along with the performance options with the adjustable map settings.

I would assume that the wheelbase puts it in the cruiser category but it's really in a class by itself. What other cruiser type bike is out there with that kind of power on a 500lb. bike.

The Strata version is on my short list.
I too think it defies classification in any of the popular categories.
If anything, it's a power standard, whatever the hell that is.

I like it, but mileage and price both make it a no go. The Strada is where it be at, if you must have one.
I like the looks, not that it matters what I think about looks.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
100 miles per tank means there is something wrong with your bike or the way you fill up. I got better than that even riding at the track (OK, not really.... ). I ride like a fucking nutjob and fuel economy on the Diavel is actually quite decent... high 30s even!

With mixed riding the light comes up between 110 and 120 miles for me. Then you got 15 to 20 miles (max!) left. It's the same as most sportbikes. Not a touring bike, but perfectly acceptable for my needs.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it: I think the Diavel is the greatest bike Ducati has ever made - and yes, I've had a few... It's like all of the Ducati ingredients came together into a perfect motorcycle soup... the motor is beastly, the ergos are excellent, the electronics are awesome. I even LOVE the way it looks - but I have a Carbon Red with full Termis. The splash of color really helps with the look of the bike, and removing the stock pipes makes the right side much more handsome. The bike's finish is beyond good - it's Honda good. Mine is just about to turn 2 and it looks like it just left the showroom.

The suspension comes over-preloaded (like most Ducatis I've tried) but when adjusted properly it is excellent. The brakes are spectacular and let the beast stop like nothing else - between the wheelbase and the rear tire you can grab as huge a handful of those Brembo monoblocs as your grip will muster, and the bike will obey without protesting.

A couple of helpful hints:

- If you get one make sure you get adjustable rearsets and raise them an inch or so. The stockers are cheap and drag far too easily. I got Satos on mine and they are excellent.

- Have the suspension properly set. The first few session at the track ground clearance was a big issue, I was dragging hard parts well before running out of lean. A few adjustments later and thing improved drastically.

The handling of the bike in unreal... it is no S1000RR but I was keeping up with sportbikes just fine (many of them, at least... ). The biggest difference is that the Diavel is actually relaxing to ride at the track. It's really a low, long naked bike with a fat tire designed specifically for it by Pirelli -it handles amazingly well. If you found it "reluctant to turn" it most likely had a tire past its prime. When the rear tire flattens the handling suffers drastically. That tire has a huge influence on the turning speed, obviously.

As far as the bike "wanting to stand when accelerating out of corners," well... I don't know of any bike that does not want to do that. It's physics...

A final point: to this day my Diavel has been flawless. Not a problem, a hiccup, a stall, a gremlin or an issue. Perfect. From day 1. A Ducati. This has never happened to me before - I have my doubts it'll ever happen again.

My Diavel is the only Ducati that I have loved unconditionally - I could not recommend it more.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #22
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
The handling of the bike in unreal... it is no S1000RR but I was keeping up with sportbikes just fine (many of them, at least... ). The biggest difference is that the Diavel is actually relaxing to ride at the track. It's really a low, long naked bike with a fat tire designed specifically for it by Pirelli -it handles amazingly well. If you found it "reluctant to turn" it most likely had a tire past its prime. When the rear tire flattens the handling suffers drastically. That tire has a huge influence on the turning speed, obviously.

As far as the bike "wanting to stand when accelerating out of corners," well... I don't know of any bike that does not want to do that. It's physics...
Since you own one, you've certainly ridden one a lot more than I have! I'm glad you enjoy yours so much. My statements were meant to compare it to other types of bikes, because there's nothing out there quite like it to compare to. The bike I rode was new, it had about 100 miles on it, so the tire was new. I'll stand by my statements though, relative to other non cruiser bikes, it takes some effort to turn the bike very quickly. I'm not saying it couldn't be gotten used to, or ridden at a good pace through twisties, but that big back tire affects it. And yes, physics makes all bikes want to stand up under acceleration, this bike just does it more than most I've ridden, and any I've owned. That's a big gyroscope on the back of it.

It was a fun bike, just not my cup of tea. I do wish Ducati would give the attention to detail on all their bikes that they have on the Diavel. It's a unique and distinctive bike for sure and I can appreciate that.

Doug Pirahna screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 06:39 AM
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #23
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Yes sir... It is not as agile as a sport bike, I was not suggesting that, although I can see how my excessive enthusiasm might make it seem like I did.

It is just such a fun bike...

I completely agree with your last statement - every other Ducati I've had has been a love and hate relationship (and sometimes not in equal parts), always so close to perfect and so sexy, but always also flawed in some frustrating way - it was nice to finally have a love only one!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
100 miles per tank means there is something wrong with your bike or the way you fill up. I got better than that even riding at the track (OK, not really.... ). I ride like a fucking nutjob and fuel economy on the Diavel is actually quite decent... high 30s even!

With mixed riding the light comes up between 110 and 120 miles for me. Then you got 15 to 20 miles (max!) left. It's the same as most sportbikes. Not a touring bike, but perfectly acceptable for my needs.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it: I think the Diavel is the greatest bike Ducati has ever made - and yes, I've had a few... It's like all of the Ducati ingredients came together into a perfect motorcycle soup... the motor is beastly, the ergos are excellent, the electronics are awesome. I even LOVE the way it looks - but I have a Carbon Red with full Termis. The splash of color really helps with the look of the bike, and removing the stock pipes makes the right side much more handsome. The bike's finish is beyond good - it's Honda good. Mine is just about to turn 2 and it looks like it just left the showroom.

The suspension comes over-preloaded (like most Ducatis I've tried) but when adjusted properly it is excellent. The brakes are spectacular and let the beast stop like nothing else - between the wheelbase and the rear tire you can grab as huge a handful of those Brembo monoblocs as your grip will muster, and the bike will obey without protesting.

A couple of helpful hints:

- If you get one make sure you get adjustable rearsets and raise them an inch or so. The stockers are cheap and drag far too easily. I got Satos on mine and they are excellent.

- Have the suspension properly set. The first few session at the track ground clearance was a big issue, I was dragging hard parts well before running out of lean. A few adjustments later and thing improved drastically.

A final point: to this day my Diavel has been flawless. Not a problem, a hiccup, a stall, a gremlin or an issue. Perfect. From day 1. A Ducati. This has never happened to me before - I have my doubts it'll ever happen again.

My Diavel is the only Ducati that I have loved unconditionally - I could not recommend it more.
I couldn't agree with you more. My MS1200s was a love hate relationship for the first 6mos until I got the fueling sorted out. Even after updated ECU maps and fat ducs the fueling cant compare to the Diavel. The Diavel was perfect from day one. The fueling is so superior to the MS that you're amazed the two bikes have the same engine. Ducati learned a lot from the issues of the early MS and obviously this helped the Diavel. It looks like they finally figured out the MS for 2013 with the tweaks they've done to the engine.

PS - looks like you should have your HP4 soon any week now. Be sure to post your impressions!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pirahna View Post
I'll stand by my statements though, relative to other non cruiser bikes, it takes some effort to turn the bike very quickly. I'm not saying it couldn't be gotten used to, or ridden at a good pace through twisties, but that big back tire affects it. .
My Diavel handled like that the first time I rode it. I was very discouraged because I had heard it handled so well. After some investigation I discovered the tires had been inflated to 20 psi, not 2.0 bars as the manual states.
The manual does not give the equivalent reading in psi, so I can see how someone might make that error. After inflating to the correct pressure the bike handles very, very well.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
If you're considering the Diavel, at least take a look at the Triumph Roadster. Same basic concept in a way - fat tired Standard trying to pose as a cruiser. I'd love to have the Diavel, but my Roadster is just so versatile. Cheaper too.
And A LOT heavier.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
D.Kinsey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
On my second weekend with the Diavel and...I love this thing!!! Sold my beloved 08 Triumph Sprint to buy it and have no regrets. My other bike is a BMW LT and I can actually stay in the seat longer on the Diavel longer than the LT before I'm squirming This bike is all-day long comfortable but, as others have said, you will be stopping often for gas.....so what. The trade-off you are getting to ride one of the coolest, fastest bikes on the planet! Bike handles very well also......Ride one for yourself, you'll see
KTM300
Triumph Sprint ST1050
D.Kinsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
I was quite amazed by that seat when I sat on one, repeatedly, at a motorcycle show. So that's why italian opera singers are all tenors!

There were too many people around for me to, um, rearange things to see if I could find a comfortable position. But I kinda doubt I could have. It's like a double-ended wedgie, and I don't know how to enjoy those.

The overall ergonomics intrigued me. Many times, when I'm going riding for a while, I end up with my feet on the passengers pegs, leaning forward a bit. This happens to be the pose the Diavel has inherently. I don't know how I would feel about that position after several hours of commitment to it, but it is one I go to quite regularly.

I'm a smurf, and was pleasantly surprised at how well I could plant my feet, and reach the controls on this bike. I'm not stretched out grasping for things, or tippy-toeing it.

It's so ugly it's kinda cute, in a hideous sort of way.

Supposedly, they do have touring gear for it.

It has a very lean rather delicate feel to it. From the skinny handgrips to the itt-bitty foot levers.
Ugly!!! Come one
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
D.Kinsey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post

Ugly!!! Come one
Nice!!!
KTM300
Triumph Sprint ST1050
D.Kinsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #30
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163

I bought my Black Carbon new in the summer of 2011. At the time, I had a 2007 Monster S4R and had no intention of buying a Diavel,...until I took one for a test ride. HOLY SHIT...!

Within 20 minutes of the test ride on the DucatiOmaha's demo Diavel, I was racking my brain trying to figure out where I was gonna get the $$$ for a Diavel. Now I must admit that there are some areas concerning the styling of the Diavel I am not crazy about. I do not care for the swept-back headlight nacel. I think the Diavel needs some kind of headlight "visor" that projects forward, to give the bike a more menacing look. The swept-back headlight surround reminds me of a submissive dog.

But I digress... Let's see; selling points for me: (1) Stock seat fits my a$$ perfectly. I've put two 1,270 mile round-trips from Omaha to Indianapolis (GP races) on my Diavel with the stock seat with no issues, but I realize not many people have the same a$$ as me? (2) Engine = blitzkreig! I have added the Ducati Performance slip-on, air filter and dedicated ECU, and the thing sounds nothing short of badd-a$$. (3) Brakes are nothing short of outstanding. (4) Riding modes/ABS/Traction-Control. (5) Did I mention the motor? (6) Bags and bags and bags of attitude. When I ride it, I feel like the coolest MF'er alive!

In a nutshell, it has almost all the Superbike performance anyone could want, but to my 42 year-old body, has none of the drawbacks of a full-on Superbike. It is comfortable (to me), looks pretty darn good, dripping of power & technology, fantastic fit/finish, reliable as any bike I've owned, handles well enough for street duty and the occasional trackday when I have to serve instructor duty with the Novice group, and can take me across the country with a backpack and rain suit.

VooDooDaddy screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 09:57 PM
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote