Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #391
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
That's true also. It would be nice to be behind the batwing when the weather cools. I think I would enjoy the radio on the EGC also. Both configurations have pros and cons. I guess the individual rider has to weigh them out for themselves. I believe I could make both the RK or the EGC work for me.

The Road King's windshield is very effective against the cold. The weak spot is the legs. You can buy "soft lowers" for that. The soft ones can be folded and stored in the bags when you're not using them.
Robert OK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #392
sizzlingbadger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I got so much turbulence from my RK windshield I had to remove it, then I only had to put up with the vibration destroying anything I put in the saddle bags.
sizzlingbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #393
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlingbadger View Post
I got so much turbulence from my RK windshield I had to remove it, then I only had to put up with the vibration destroying anything I put in the saddle bags.
Strange. I haven't noticed any. Could it be your height or maybe you have the tour pak?

I'm 5'8" and don't have the tour pak.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #394
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
The Road King's windshield is very effective against the cold. The weak spot is the legs. You can buy "soft lowers" for that. The soft ones can be folded and stored in the bags when you're not using them.
I'm pretty sure you could put the hard lowers on it too.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #395
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:

Yep. Or the aftermarket ones with speakers in em.... etc etc etc.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #396
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I think you're right. Soft ones are cheaper though, more portable and probably easier to remove (speaking as one who doesn't own them).

I've noticed they're very popular with the motorcycle cops around the White House in DC.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #397
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think you're right. Soft ones are cheaper though, more portable and probably easier to remove (speaking as one who doesn't own them).

I've noticed they're very popular with the motorcycle cops around the White House in DC.
You can get leather ones, or the MoCo sells their own now, ballistic nylon.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #398
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlingbadger View Post
Was not experince but I did get some buffeting and that imporved with an after-market windshield with a curved lip at the top. My Electra Glide with hard lowers as zero buffeting and I think I could have a smoke behind the fairing. Not sure how much it matters but I wear a fullface helmet.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #399
1/2 Brit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
I was behind a StreetGlide on my Ducati Multistrada, on a twisty bit of road, the guy saw me and accelerated. Of course, I kept pace, thinking he'd back off in the tight stuff....he didn't. I was impressed.

I probably had more in reserve than him, if something unexpected happened, but the new E-Glides do handle well.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #400
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,192
Quote:
I've had both, definitely prefer the hard lowers with vents. They provide more protection and are much more aerodynamic at highways speeds. But the soft lowers do add a lot of protection for a low price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
Was not experince but I did get some buffeting and that imporved with an after-market windshield with a curved lip at the top.
I got buffeting at highways speeds with the stock windshield (5'7", 30" inseam). Switching to windshield with a curved lip at the top improved things but did not completely eliminate the the problem. What did work was Harley's new Wind Splitter windshield. It's advertised as eliminating buffeting at speed and did just that. Amazing...

twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #401
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniff View Post
I was behind a StreetGlide on my Ducati Multistrada, on a twisty bit of road, the guy saw me and accelerated. Of course, I kept pace, thinking he'd back off in the tight stuff....he didn't. I was impressed.

I probably had more in reserve than him, if something unexpected happened, but the new E-Glides do handle well.

Can't wait to hear this....
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #402
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniff View Post

They handle great, the main limitation is the lack of cornering clearance.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #403
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
They handle great, the main limitation is the lack of cornering clearance.
Yeah, I really don't understand that. I love the drivetrain....it really is a special engine and so very well made. But goddamn they can't even lean over enough to turn into a driveway without scraping. Harley would really have the best motorcycle for the real world if they'd just give them so lean angle.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #404
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Yeah, I really don't understand that. I love the drivetrain....it really is a special engine and so very well made. But goddamn they can't even lean over enough to turn into a driveway without scraping. Harley would really have the best motorcycle for the real world if they'd just give them so lean angle.
Like this?

http://www.btrmoto.com/
Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #405
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Yeah, I really don't understand that. I love the drivetrain....it really is a special engine and so very well made. But goddamn they can't even lean over enough to turn into a driveway without scraping.
Maybe a Fatboy Lo, but my Road King isn't that bad... Just scrapes easily enough that I have to slow to a normal pace when the mountain twisties get super tight.