Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
It's probably fuel like every one says. But I had similar symptoms. Cuttng out under load but would idle ok. Only happened when it was very hot. I replaced the coil and it has not happened since.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #17
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Things I'd check.

1. A fuel delivery problem could be caused by several common things and I'll ABC the things I've thought of that can cause intermittant problems.

a. sticky float/valve
b. a small hole in your diaphram
c. something residual in the bottom of your fuel bowl that keeps getting sucked up and then released once the bike shuts down. (although you've cleaned it already so I doubt this one).
D. vacuum operated petcock is going bad and keeping fuel from the carb intermittantly.
e. debri in fuel tank.

2. One thing that steers me away from some of my suggestions however, is the sooty plug. (incorrect ratio of fuel = check needle wear and slide wear too!)
I've had previous bikes act the same way and show a sooty plug by not burning off the gas (which will cause those deposits).

a. your coil is going bad and not delivering enough charge at higher rpms, fouling out the plug to the point where it wont start untill the plug dries out.
b. bad plug wire can do the same thing if it grounds out.
c. bad plug
d. any number of wiring/ground problems.

3. hows your doohickey? timeing can always screw things up.
4. how many miles since your last valve adj?
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
roadtripp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Good news! I brought it to a mechanic today, and together we disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it out again. He blew through one of the jets (I'm not sure which one it was) and cleaned out the float bowl, and presto - a working motorcycle! I'll keep a close eye on it for the next couple hundred miles, but I'm hopeful that this problem has been solved. I'm excited to continue my trip southward! Thanks to all your help, and thanks especially for helping me get over my fear of the carburetor - that thing always seemed very "spooky", but now that I've taken mine apart and put it back together, I feel like I have a better understanding of what exactly makes my bike tick. Onwards and upwards!
roadtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #19
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Glad you are back on the road
Looking forward to reading more of you RR

Brian
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #20
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,417
Does the KLR have a vacuum activated petcock? If there is a leak there, it may be intermitent too! Drain the carb and check for water in there! If so, drain the tank! Good luck Joe!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 AM   #21
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,310
WooHoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripp
Good news! I brought it to a mechanic today, and together we disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it out again. He blew through one of the jets (I'm not sure which one it was) and cleaned out the float bowl, and presto - a working motorcycle! I'll keep a close eye on it for the next couple hundred miles, but I'm hopeful that this problem has been solved. I'm excited to continue my trip southward! Thanks to all your help, and thanks especially for helping me get over my fear of the carburetor - that thing always seemed very "spooky", but now that I've taken mine apart and put it back together, I feel like I have a better understanding of what exactly makes my bike tick. Onwards and upwards!
Glad you're up and running again! KLR's have their own personality...maybe yours just didn't feel like moving for a few days!

Looking forward to the rest of your RR!

Be safe
Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #22
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
A good tip I learned is to run some SeaFoam through the bike once a year..does wonders for engine performance and keeps everything clean. The first time I did it I thought I had a new bike...
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #23
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripp

Fantastic! Glad to hear your problem is resolved. As most of us listed the carb or electrics are about the only thing that can put a KLR down. Now you have a little more KLR education and have gained confidence along the way. Fantastic.

Keep the RR coming and up to date on your trip. Be Safe

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #24
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Great support system to have here.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 AM   #25
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
+ 1 on the advice on the thread so far. Diaphragm air-tight fit is critical, and the "choke" (enricher) plunger must seat fully for proper carb operation.

A desperate measure sometimes effective is STARTING FLUID. A whiff of this ether-based sure-thing combustible mixture into the carb will sometimes kick off a balky engine, later picking up on its own and running on its gasoline fuel supply.

Have a fire extinguisher standing by if you try this, and--oh, yes, "Do not try this at home!"

With compression/spark/combustible mixture; oughta start! A long tow or push at a pretty good clip, and easing the clutch out in 3d or 4th gear might kick it off, if the electric starter won't.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #26
piratehood
discoverin' dual sportin

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedinner
A good tip I learned is to run some SeaFoam through the bike once a year..does wonders for engine performance and keeps everything clean. The first time I did it I thought I had a new bike...
What is "Seafoam"
piratehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
Snake-oil-in-a-can that actually works.
Found at most NAPA/Schucks/PepBoys.

subybaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
RandyLove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
2007 KLR650 Starts But Stutters/Dies Under Load

I thought I'd add my experience with a very similar sounding issue while I was riding through Argentina. I pulled off at a fuel station to get off the bike and grab a drink. 15 minutes later, after not fueling or making any changes to the bike, it began to stutter above 3.5 - 4K RPM.

Issue: I could start the engine and rev it up as high as 4K RPM while in neutral and it would run fine. Then throw a leg over her and try to ride and it would stutter at about 3.5K - 4K RPM then pop back up and give me power for a second, then drop off again. I was traveling at about 55MPH, which was all she could muster.

I pulled off at a safe shaded area and started to review what I had worked on recently. I had removed the fuel tank to repair some chaffed wires (another post altogether) and recalled the vacuum hoses from the carburetor could cause a similar issue. I inspected the connections and found that one in fact had backed off, presumably when I pulled off the highway into the fuel station's bumpy potholed parking area. Once all snugged up, I was back on the road w/o issue.

Hope this helps someone.

Randy