ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #1966
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Just got back from DV...

Goler/Mengel is a graded dirt road. If you can ride pea-gravel you can ride it this year.

South Pass is clear of snow. Some of the damage has been repaired... a decent rider could get a bike 2-up through it.

Saline Valley Rd is in good shape but there are a few washouts that you should slow down for.

Steele Pass is as easy as I have ever seen it.

Echo Canyon is also as easy as I have seen it.
Well with some luck it will get more tore up before we get there....
__________________
'14 1190R...Adventure Beast
'13 690 Quest...Rally Beast
950SE......Desert Beast
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #1967
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer
 
Blaise W's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 647
Just dropped one ride to sign up for Osborne Cabin with Browneye. Haven't been there yet, so it's time! This is coming on fast so it's time to get some tires spooned on and gear together! I'm stopping in Las Vegas to get a Dynojet PCV on my TE630 and will be anxious to try it out!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #1968
ixab
just Aaron, really
 
ixab's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: USA, PNW, LOLKTHX
Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Well with some luck it will get more tore up before we get there....
Let's hope so. I was looking forward picking up some bits of shattered hopes on the Mengle step. Sounds like it's Multistrada worthy now.
__________________
Youtube - Death, Death, Everywhere!
ixab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #1969
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixab View Post
Let's hope so. I was looking forward picking up some bits of shattered hopes on the Mengle step. Sounds like it's Multistrada worthy now.
It is.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #1970
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,567
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention... watch out for the rocks on Saline Valley Road.

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #1971
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,551




I've never seen so many TyWraps attack a wheel like that before


What speed does it take to do that damage ? Theoretically of course...




.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1972
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post




I've never seen so many TyWraps attack a wheel like that before


What speed does it take to do that damage ? Theoretically of course...




.
I would think your speed would need to be 60-70mph... but that's just a guess.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #1973
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,567
Above the warm springs... headed into Steele Pass:

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #1974
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention... watch out for the rocks on Saline Valley Road.

That's not a dent, that is a "easy tire lever insertion point."
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #1975
1224R
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 1,785
Just a scratch....
__________________
I thought YOU had the map......
1224R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #1976
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker2 View Post
Having never been to DV I'm curious about what altitude those of you with carbureted bikes jet for while in that area.

I realize the altitude change goes from X to Y and I know that a little fat is better than extreme lean so I'm thinking about leaving my jetting at it's present sea level but I figured I'd ask.

PS The XR can handle the loss of power so I don't see this as a critical issue...I'm just curious.
Most of the higher elevations are 6-7K feet. There are rides higher but unless you seek out the highest elevations you'll be good. The Salt Trams are at 9200' but I'm not aware of much that is higher. For Saline Valley, South Pass is 6800 and North Pass is 7500. That's where low snow levels can leave you stuck in Saline Valley. We had snow at Hunter Cabin in November and was kinda scary, didn' t know if it was going to quit or get worse. Luckily it quit.

__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #1977
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention... watch out for the rocks on Saline Valley Road.


That will buff out...no problem.

Ziptie effect is cool.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #1978
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister
 
Ladybug0048's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
Oddometer: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Most of the higher elevations are 6-7K feet. There are rides higher but unless you seek out the highest elevations you'll be good. The Salt Trams are at 9200' but I'm not aware of much that is higher. For Saline Valley, South Pass is 6800 and North Pass is 7500. That's where low snow levels can leave you stuck in Saline Valley. We had snow at Hunter Cabin in November and was kinda scary, didn' t know if it was going to quit or get worse. Luckily it quit.

Very cool photo.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #1979
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,133
Olancha Dunes is loaded big bike with street tires friendly and a few spots still open in the ride on Friday.

Perfect place to play in the sandbox.










To start my propaganda media blitz getting ready for DV, here's a short video of ours.


Lost in Death Valley 2013 from Lost Rider on Vimeo.

__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #1980
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Olancha Dunes is loaded big bike with street tires friendly and a few spots still open in the ride on Friday.

Perfect place to play in the sandbox.










To start my propaganda media blitz getting ready for DV, here's a short video of ours.


Lost in Death Valley 2013 from Lost Rider on Vimeo.

Cool!
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014