Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
Riding with cruisers.. I want one!!

HI, well it has been 2 weekends straight, and 3 in this year that I have been riding with fellow cruiser guys, I ride a KLR 650 and love it, as always I am looking and comparing their bikes and mine.

At the beginning (2002) I wanted a cruiser but at the end of the cost-benefit analysis I did for my bigger bike (I started on a 125 cc ) so my criteria was simple (or so I tough) 60-70 mph all day capable, big tank (dreaming of +200 miles per tank) some dirt capable and 2 up friendly, and yes not over $6,000, and new. So all cruisers were gone from the analysis except the vstar 650 that seen to fit me very well then I was told this cruiser was not for 2 up nor dirt.

Now that I have been next to some cruisers I saw 2 v-star 650’s 2 up and they were not slow, nor did they had panic braking, and most important is I no longer need the cruiser to do 200+ miles on a tank. So that got me thinking… I am looking to add bike #3 (KLR + scooter at the moment) so I am missing a better 2 up bike and I do like all the chrome that comes with a cruiser. At first my ideal bike would be a DL650, this bike is what I call the offspring of a klr+cruiser.

All that to ask you your input first on the small vstar, the 650, I saw my friends do very well on them but overall impressions that you may have, how is maintenance? Brakes? on so on.

How about other options? V-star 950? The 750 hondas? suzuki’s c50 and yamahas Vulcan 900. As you can see they are all “middle weight” for cruisers since I do not think I need more and the price range is about the same.

I want new because I will drive it to the ground and I don’t buy bikes for 1-2 seasons, more for until my economics set us apart.

The only down side that I see on cruisers is their low clearance and here it’s tope land (speed bumps). Here is where I do notice the lack of clearance and it worries me, but I have only driven once a cruiser and except for the loud pipes it was nice. Also the other bad part of cruisers that I no longer care (as much) are the small range (still needs to be over 140 miles), so any info that you may have is welcome.

Thanks
Damasovi
Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,887
Vstrom........., you'll regret the cruiser.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
The ONLY cruiser i had extensive time was my wife`s virago 535cc. it was small and in 5th will getup to 55 on a good day. We sold it when she got pregnant 5 yrs ago.

so my other bikes included a vstrom[10k] , bandit 1200 [36k] and now a fz1 [33k]. I am considering a cruiser . I do not live near alot of dual sport ride. So a cruiser will be intresting addition to my fz1.

it will be my commuter- 22 mile each way on a highway or 25 miles on dual lane. On the fz1 i am always doing a tonne or doing something to get to work . A cruiser will be perfect and some days i just ride around slow along the beech and cape code. the fz1 is such a bad bike in going slow.

I have had slower bike which made 20hp and did not handle worth 2 cents and i suprising enough always seem to have an adventure and fun with them. More than my car anyday.

i am 6 3 /250 and vstar 950 is a little tight , i rode the vulcan 900 Lt in the kawasaki demo truck for 20 miles. they getup to 90 easy enough and where a little scary around cornors for about 10 miles. I think it will fun.
plus i rather find out that the cruiser does not work for me myself then some forum.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I have driving the dl and it is as cool as the KLR but better for on road, I just have the curiosity of the chrome side!!

Please comment more

Damasovi
Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,647
I like the Vstar 950 tourer and the Vulcan 900 Tourer. They are both excellent choices.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
kokeneen
kokeneen

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

HI, well it has been 2 weekends straight, and 3 in this year that I have been riding with fellow cruiser guys, I ride a KLR 650 and love it, as always I am looking and comparing their bikes and mine.

At the beginning (2002) I wanted a cruiser but at the end of the cost-benefit analysis I did for my bigger bike (I started on a 125 cc ) so my criteria was simple (or so I tough) 60-70 mph all day capable, big tank (dreaming of +200 miles per tank) some dirt capable and 2 up friendly, and yes not over $6,000, and new. So all cruisers were gone from the analysis except the vstar 650 that seen to fit me very well then I was told this cruiser was not for 2 up nor dirt.

Now that I have been next to some cruisers I saw 2 v-star 650’s 2 up and they were not slow, nor did they had panic braking, and most important is I no longer need the cruiser to do 200+ miles on a tank. So that got me thinking… I am looking to add bike #3 (KLR + scooter at the moment) so I am missing a better 2 up bike and I do like all the chrome that comes with a cruiser. At first my ideal bike would be a DL650, this bike is what I call the offspring of a klr+cruiser.

All that to ask you your input first on the small vstar, the 650, I saw my friends do very well on them but overall impressions that you may have, how is maintenance? Brakes? on so on.

How about other options? V-star 950? The 750 hondas? suzuki’s c50 and yamahas Vulcan 900. As you can see they are all “middle weight” for cruisers since I do not think I need more and the price range is about the same.

I want new because I will drive it to the ground and I don’t buy bikes for 1-2 seasons, more for until my economics set us apart.

The only down side that I see on cruisers is their low clearance and here it’s tope land (speed bumps). Here is where I do notice the lack of clearance and it worries me, but I have only driven once a cruiser and except for the loud pipes it was nice. Also the other bad part of cruisers that I no longer care (as much) are the small range (still needs to be over 140 miles), so any info that you may have is welcome.

Thanks
Damasovi

Its all in what your comfortable with right. Personally i like the ability to haved an upright riding position availiable when i need it. I just purchased a new honda NC 700 X and couldn"t be happier with it.
kokeneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

That right there IMO is the funnest class of cruisers. They are small and agile enought to toss around for a fun spirited ride and are powerful and comfy enough for highway and for keeping up with bigger cruiser bikes.

My vote would go for any of the ones you mention. They are all great bikes. You just need to get your butt on all of them and see which one feels right.

The one that probably stands out in that group is the vulcan 900. Good luck
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
That statement makes no sense. You will regret not buing the bike you actually want. If it's a cruiser you're after, you'll regret buying anything else.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Sitting on a cruiser does feel comfy, until after you been on them for hours, with your feet on the foward controls, and your lower back taking all the bumps in the road. Thats why I'm putting my 750 shadow up for sale and buying something more of a standard, feet under me, and in more control.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
Sitting on a cruiser does feel comfy, until after you been on them for hours, with your feet on the foward controls, and your lower back taking all the bumps in the road. Thats why I'm putting my 750 shadow up for sale and buying something more of a standard, feet under me, and in more control.

I have the Shadow RS750.....more of a standard position.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,178

I love the way my V-Star 650 rides! Yes, it can struggle at times on long uphill grades, but other than that it's great
Now, the maintenance sounds daunting when it comes to valve checks. The manual recommends valve check/adjust every 4,000 miles. Valve checks mean yanking the seat, tank, and carburetors. I let mine go 15,000 miles as I didn't hear any difference and it was actually still on the loose side when they checked. I wouldn't worry too much unless you're bouncing the rpms off the rev limiter.
I got a super steal of a deal on this bike for a few reasons. If I were buying new, I think I'd go with something like a V-Star 950 or an affordable Victory. Both are fuel injected which would be nice and the Victory has hydraulic lifters so there's no need to screw with carbs or valve adjustments
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,439
Stay away from Shaft drive. It is a horrible way to transfer power to the rear wheel.

The Vulcan 900, V-Star 950 / 1300 are Belt Drive and thus perform better than the V-Star 650/1100 and the shaft driven Boulevards and Honda's.

Ride them... AND ride a few pre-owned Harleys as well.

Lots of people try to save money by buying metric bikes but if you shop you can find a nice Harley-Davidson Dyna and it will generally ride better, get better fuel economy, have better fit and finish... It will also hold it's value better.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,386
I would advise buying the most displacement you can afford. It is nice to have power on tap when you need it. If you buy a small displacement bike, you will want more later power later.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks guys!

I will try to drive others people's bike, the problem with that is often they are short and a KLR scares the hell out of them! they even complain there vtx or similar bike has "a tall" seat! common! 28 in seat high is not tall! some say a Vstrom with it's 32-33 in is to tall! try a KLR of GSA and then you tell me something about tall bikes! (don't even go XRL650 of KTM Adventure)

Any way I will try to do it, and if possible ride with a pillion even if it not wife.

Big cc are not my focus, the biggest bike I have owned if the KLR and that is a 650, everything else has been smaller (103, 125 and a 250) so for me cc don't mean nothing. I want this next bike to be able to do 60-70 and have maybe 10-20 mph more, no need for 100 mph, if I wanted that the DL650 can do it and have cruiserish 2 up accommodations (I know I have done it, and I do not even notice the wife back there). And I think the 800-950 are the good balance between small and big. If only there was the nighthawk still been made! that was the bike I wanted!

Damasovi
Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Stay away from Shaft drive. It is a horrible way to transfer power to the rear wheel.

Lots of people try to save money by buying metric bikes but if you shop you can find a nice Harley-Davidson Dyna and it will generally ride better, get better fuel economy, have better fit and finish... It will also hold it's value better.
HI yeah that Dyna can be a lot of fun and bigger engine, I don't think I need one but I am still in the research stage (will be for a long time $$) but I am not anti Harley nor anti Japan. But what ever I do end up with, I will just use until it is not possible to rebuild. Out of the 4 bikes I have ever owned, I have sold just 1, because of financial problems, and 1 other that was involved in a crash if It had not been for that, I would still ride it to work everyday (it got 70-75 mpg and did 55 mph). So resale is not a priority, but the Harley name it would be nice to have, maybe on a Sporter Iron...

Cheers

Damasovi