Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #556
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
Oh, I was thinking this one.
Wise guy, eh! There are soooo many, I lost count. I still ride and love this bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
No, not that one.
That one makes me cringe!

Me too!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #557
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
I still ride and love this bike!
Todd

It's good to have one that's ok with taking a nap every now an then. I just wish I had figured that out before I beat the crap out of the other one.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #558
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,663
I didn't know any of you guys when Todd had the "guardrail incident". I seem to remember the KLR laying on the ground somewhere around Area 51 and some guy stomping on it. I was thinking, "WTF have I gotten myself into?"

Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #559
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
I didn't know any of you guys when Todd had the "guardrail incident". I seem to remember the KLR laying on the ground somewhere around Area 51 and some guy stomping on it. I was thinking, "WTF have I gotten myself into?"

I was thinking the same thing!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #560
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Being one to bring unusual bikes, this is what I'm trying to fit my stuff on for this year:

I've been whoring it around for a few days now, but can't a guy get excited? I think it would swing gravel roads a little better than the CB-1.
Nice!

That bike will do any of the roads on my ride. If we make it over to Beauty Spot and Rattlesnake Ridge the gravel might be a little deep so you may have to work some, but I'm not sure. I haven't been up there in about a year and don't know if they've re-graveled the roads or not.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #561
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,868
today I got a "Jamie James Jambalaya" tutorial for Friday nights dinner (just in case he has a race to go to)

too bad you gals/guys couldn't taste it
Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #562
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,318
That's just not right Cuttle...............

You post those pix and now I have to clean the drool off of my keyboard!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #563
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
I got out for a scout ride with a couple of buddies today. It was a great day for riding. Lady luck was with us, and we discovered the route which connects the nothern trails to the southern trails on Stone Mtn. Now we only have to ride a few hundred feet of pavement to connect the miles and miles of rock, mud, roots, and bolders.

We'll be going back through a few more times, marking intersections, hunting for & opening more loops, and figuring out which hills can be climbed (by mortals) and which hills can only be ridden down. A lot of the trails were pretty slippery from mud & leaves and were downhill only trails today. One part of the new passage had the largest (widest & longest) rocky section that we have seen on the mountain. It was probably 1/2 mile long and averaged 50+ feet wide. The rocks were large, mostly fist to football sized and a few larger. It was rough, but by no means "impassible". Instead of being damp, like almost everywhere else on Stone, it was dry, almost desert like there. It was a really unusual & cool area to see.

I will be keeping up with the progress on Doe Mtn too. Hopefully they (we) will be able to get some good single track trails designed & cleared in the next few months. There is a MTRA (Mountain Trail Rider Ass.) meeting this Thrusday, so I should have more info afterwards. I'm pressing for more bike trails, but the ATVs & Side By Sides have the majority...,so time will tell. The topo map that I saw at the last meeting looked promising, the southwestern edge of the OHV area almost touches the intersection of Hwy 167 & Hwy 67 in Butler,TN. The geography there is supposed to be pretty steep, so that might become an entrance into the technical trails, which could help create an area that is more accessible on bikes than quads.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #564
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Sounds like a good time.

Quick question, are these areas going to be noticing a non DOT tire?
I'm sure I'll need new rubber before then, but I have some good dirt tires, and figured this sounds like the weekend to waste them on.

(
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #565
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
That's just not right Cuttle...............
Oh yes it was, just right!
Ya'll are in for a treat!!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #566
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Sounds like a good time.

Quick question, are these areas going to be noticing a non DOT tire?
I'm sure I'll need new rubber before then, but I have some good dirt tires, and figured this sounds like the weekend to waste them on.

(

Of course I can't recommend anyone break any laws. While I have never been stopped around this area or been through a license check point, I have also never ridden with a large group of dirt bikes either. I guess we could pose a potential target for a nosey officer, while commuting to/from the trails or at pit stops. I wouldn't be too worried about running non-DOT tires, but it could cost you a ticket. Btw, I do hope everyone has a respectfully quiet exhaust.

I rode my XT225 with a new Shinko 244 rear. It was fine for what we did, but we only went down the steep slippery sections. If conditions are drier for our group ride I we will be going up those hills, and I would recommend a fresh knobby. (I'm planning to have a local buddy or two to ride with us who know the trails. That will allow us to split the group up if traction becomes a problem for some, there will always be an alternate route around the steep sections, so everyone will be able to reach the ridge.

I do hope (expect & require ) everyone has decent tread depth on whatever tires they choose. A slick rear will be a problem in all but the driest of conditions, and that is very unlikely in May around here. We'll be going through some creeks, deep waterbars, damp moss covered rocks, leaves, and roots. Even the "easy routes" are challenging enough for "fun", and at times they are the only way up, ( besides turning around and going back down. I won't be taking the group anywhere that there's not an exit route. But if anybody's cocky enough I'll be happy to point them towards some trails which will "put their ego in-check"!) LOL
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #567
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
But if anybody's cocky enough I'll be happy to point them towards some trails which will "put their ego in-check"!) LOL
I ain't scared.
I have tug straps and weigh more than my bike.

I do wish I could find some MX style boots with some decent grip on the bottom for all my get offs. Not cleat style, but just something.

That said, after watching the neighbors kids cover his ears while my bike was just idling, I have ordered a new exhaust, should be a lot better. Hopefully at least.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #568
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
I ain't scared.
Great. And thanks for reminding me to stock up my first aid kit and to pack my SPOT, in case we need a bit more muscle to extract you out'a that boulder shute.

Don't worry...my first aid kit will be ready for "anything" ,including enough medication for an amputation....and if we don't need it for YOU, we'll consume it around the campfire when we get back to the Black Bear.

Btw hscrugby,
You might want to bring a spare bike along because we'll be riding it again on Saturday!!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #569
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

Btw hscrugby,
You might want to bring a spare bike along because we'll be riding it again on Saturday!!
Given my previous excursions, that might not be a bad idea.

1st rdv, bike failure on day 1. drove jeep around and drank like a fish.
2nd rdv bike failure on day 2. Drank like a fish.
3rd rdv, bike failure along with rider failure in ordering wrong parts prior to rdv, gave ticket to buddy who went.
4th rdv? Let's see what happens.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #570
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
today I got a "Jamie James Jambalaya" tutorial for Friday nights dinner (just in case he has a race to go to)

So, THAT'S the secret huh?...............................

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote