Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #13441
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,129
Hey. With my big giant ass opaque windshield I have no idea what is in front of me anyway. lol

We just set our "fun" bar lower riding the big pigs in the tougher stuff. Like this:

It's a good day if ya don't die.

Edit: And I still agree . More lower is more better. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 08:04 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #13442
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203

To answer JT's question on why loading top heavy is better
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #13443
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

To answer JT's question on why loading top heavy is better
Thank you Bob, I needed that!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #13444
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Like SealLine bags?
I use a 20L SealLine for my sleeping bag. But the newer duffle style dry bags are a lot more practical and have exterior pockets and loops and such for attaching to the bike. With a stainless steel net you can secure it as well.

But that's for the big bike. Giant Loop looks better for something like a WRR.
Gotta get back to shopping for a WRR.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #13445
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Did you pull the trigger already?
On the bike or the bag??

Either way the answer is "no". Gotta get back online and find me a good deal on a used WRR.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #13446
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
My only 'unrepairable' was in Panama when I had a softball-sized dent in the rim.

That's also the only time I wished my streetbike used tubes.
What keeps you from using a tube inside your tubeless rim?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #13447
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,977
Trice is a young healthy dude. He kinda looks like Glen Beck, my other hero, besides Trice of course.

He can handle deep sand on the pig if he needs to. (its all technique amigo)

But I still think he should ditch the POS KLR and get a WRR.

I didn't steer you into any deep sand carbon, sin embargo, you should really learn how to ride that stuff, even on the pig. Its not rocket science, its 100% technique and can be done on any bike, with a bit of practice. Until you get into the deep sand, you have not seen Baja California. Just sayin'.

If it works out that I can ride with you guys, I will get you off the beaten path and make sure you get through it. Or I'll just leave you there for dead. When are we going?

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 10:11 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #13448
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
He can handle deep sand on the pig if he needs to. (its all technique amigo)

But I still think he should ditch the POS KLR and get a WRR.

I didn't steer you into any deep sand carbon, sin embargo, you should really learn how to ride that stuff, even on the pig. Its not rocket science, its 100% technique and can be done on any bike, with a bit of practice. Until you get into the deep sand, you have not seen Baja California. Just sayin'.

If it works out that I can ride with you guys, I will get you off the beaten path and make sure you get through it. Or I'll just leave you there for dead. When are we going?
Waddya say, Bob?? Pick up a pair of WRR's and meet Vinnie in Baja? I'd just about quit my job for that ride.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #13449
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
What keeps you from using a tube inside your tubeless rim?
because I was stuck in BFE Panama in an afternoon monsoon and they don't sell them in the jungle.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #13450
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
because I was stuck in BFE Panama in an afternoon monsoon and they don't sell them in the jungle.
Ahhhh, OK. Thought you meant you COULDN'T use tubes. My only concern is the offset valve stem but Helge Pedersen says it's not a problem, so OK. Gonna start packing tubes and spoons when riding to remote areas. SOG carried tubes on our recent Mexico trip.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #13451
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Waddya say, Bob?? Pick up a pair of WRR's and meet Vinnie in Baja?
Schizz, I would love to ride with both of you guys! Its going to happen sometime for sure!

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 10:12 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #13452
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Shizz, I would love to ride with both of you guys! Its going to happen sometime for sure!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #13453
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Ahhhh, OK. Thought you meant you COULDN'T use tubes. My only concern is the offset valve stem but Helge Pedersen says it's not a problem, so OK. Gonna start packing tubes and spoons when riding to remote areas. SOG carried tubes on our recent Mexico trip.
I'm not a fan of Helge. But I should pack a tube (just a 19, it'll fit a 17 rear okay). And I have the cool Motion Pro axle/spoon already..

OTOH given my experience, I'm better off carrying an extra axle nut and rear wheel bearings than a tube.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #13454
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Schizz, I would love to ride with both of you guys! Its going to happen sometime for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Yeah, I can't even imagiine L.A. with a subway. All we did was the bus. Some of the buses downtown even had these electrical trolley things on them. The Wiltern actually showed movies back then. Sneaked in the back and watched my first showing of Easy Rider there. So you are east of Western. Western used to be a dividing line, then Vermont was the next one. By the time one got to Alvarado/Hoover youz wuz in da hood.

Not to jack this thread (which we do all the time), Mexico is lot safer to ride in than L.A. Shit we lived down on a 101st for a while. With that neighborhood and the one down on a Washington and Figueroa, when one moved on up, one moved to Compton
Hey! Some of my best friends are from Compton. And yes, they are a better class of vato.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #13455
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
"Could Mexico owe its "success" to the fact that it has outsourced most of its poverty to the US? The US taxpayer now subsidizes 25% of Mexico's population by educating, housing, and feeding them, etc. To add to this Mexican citizens in the US remit almost all of their tax-free earnings back to Mexico tax free."

Sources please... this sounds like more of the same old anti immigrant bullshit. Really? The US is subsidizing 30 million people... housing, feeding and educating them? What are all of those waiters, maids, busboys, cooks, dishwashers, parking lot attendants, sanitation workers, gardeners and on and on who are the backbone of the service industry, pay taxes including social security that they will never see a dime of doing? Certainly not being subsidized. They, in fact, support a service industry that would collapse if it were left to the lazy, self centered, "entitled" crop of youth who have no interest in rolling up their sleeves and dirtying their hands because they have a "right" to start a job at $25 an hour and show up when they feel like it... aargh!

Mexico has a quite surprising amount of "upward mobility". I am amazed at how prosperous it is in much of this country. They deserve it. They work hard and they make goods and grow produce that goes out to the world. Mexico also has a lot of very deep poverty but if you travel in parts of the good ol' USA you will find poverty just as intransigent and people without the means to care for their most basic needs... even the poorest here seem to be able to find food and shelter. Not so in our dear land. I could go on but this is not the place for it.
Thanks for saying this oyster. I was going to say pretty much the same, but didn't have the time to backstop it with data. The NYT is not the lib rag it was once thought to be.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote