Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Newbie Trials Day

At our Tri-State Trialers event last fall there were several spectators who expressed interest in trials riding. I've already successfully corrupted one of them - he purchased a nice 315r in late fall and has gotten a couple of rides in so far. Two other riders weren't quite ready to run out and buy bikes so our club president decided to act on their potential interest by lining up two loaner bikes and inviting them out for a day of riding. We figured it would make sense to invite some of the other local(ish) new riders and make a "newbie trials day" out of it. We had seven riders total - the two aforementioned newbies, three riders with limited experience and our club president and myself as the "experienced riders."

We started out with basics in a large grass field and moved on to various sections to focus on different skills. Turns, small wheelies, up and down hills, rocks, stream crossing, logs, etc. We ended by recreating the beginner line from a section in our last event and everyone riding that a few times. All riders managed at least one clean. Conditions were slick, but we managed to find mostly solid ground for the day.

The day ended with no crashes, no bike issues and all smiles, so I'm calling it a success. It seems as though the seed has been planted and I would not be surprised to see the two newbies purchase trials bikes this season. The other newer riders appeared to have fun also and seemed to benefit from some focused practice.

I recently added a LifeProof handlebar mount to my bike so that I'd have my iPhone readily available to take pictures. Turns out, that doesn't help. I still forgot to take pictures until the very end of the day.

If anyone reading this is local (Wilmington, DE is more or less the center of our club membership) and would like a taste of trials, feel free to shoot me a PM. First hit is free!

motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote