Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
I think you will like the 7.5 spring. At 250, that extra spring will give the bike back its proper geometry and feel. At 210 a dont think a good rider would benefit from the change from stock. Also - I think the stock spring on the 2011 raga was a 6.8 (its printed on the spring)
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
I am 250 r2r.Took Stu at Jacks Cycle advice on the spring.7 is stock spring in rear and he tried a 7.5 on his bike and he weighs 220 and thought it was slightly stiff so he thought a 7.5 would be good for me.No fork springs other than stock for front so will try them stock and if I have to I can mess with oil weight and height.Reiger spring is like $160 or so new.Stu had used this one for an hour so it was basically worn out so he gave me a good deal on it.I ride SR intermediate but have not ridden consistantly since about 05.This year I plan to change that.I have the Utah and Wyoming events already marked on my calender.
I was at dam close to 280 not long ago, just FYI. I almost miss the traction I used to have (LOL). as I lost weight, I noticed that what I had done to my bikes in the past all of a sudden causing me not so much trouble, but I could feel the 'problems' with stiff springs.

I agree with you, ya might want the stiffer rear spring, I was just making sure because at 220 and below, I could definitely say stiff springs were causing me trouble.... What I felt was, instead of the tires being allowed to compress the forks and rear shocks, they would stop on the rocks (not the big ones, the ones you wouldn't notice as much, unless it was slicker than heck probably).

It was a muddy trials and new lower weight totals, that had me headed home to revert back to stock suspension asap, when I was probably at 230ish or 235... because the front tire (without (pat my own back here) really good technique to unweigh both tires as they rode over these bowling ball rocks, in the middle of tight turns, stuff like that) Now softer springs, I "seem" to glide over almost without working at it. Still I know some had to just do with gravity totals, and I'd be able to tell you if I get back to 280 again, if It feels different again, which I wont do... )
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
mung OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
After a box of new parts and a few [ok lots]of hours of disassembly and assembly the bike is sitting there complete and ready to go.To bad it is 8 degrees and snowing.Grease was very thin and poor quality in steering head,linkage and swing arm.Changed the fork oil and used a little heavier[7 wt] than stock and raised the oil level 5 mm in each leg.There were plenty of aluminum chips in the stock fork oil so it was probably a good idea to flush them.Bike is beautiful to look at but really my only complaint now other than poor set up from the factory is the mish mash of bolts and nuts they use. My KTMs use 8,10 and 13 and you have everything you need.Working on the Raga it seems like you need a large pile of tools to get anything done.Example is the the sidestand.It needs to be removed to replace the rear brake line.Three allen bolts hold it on.One head is 4 mm,another is 5 mm and guess what-the other is 6 mm.That is unreasonable.Luckily the bike is gorgeous and so far has made a great garage ornament.Two weeks till the first trials.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
What, no pictures?