Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #76
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I understand, OnO. Any of the large chain rollers which has a diameter of 38-42mm should work just as well. Spud
Greetings Sir Spud. I am pleased to report that after a "season" of riding with the front roller, all is well. Little wear is apparent and she still rolls smoothly. MSR replacement designated for the XR500R (my receipt doesn't show the MSR part number )

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #77
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Greetings Sir Spud. I am pleased to report that after a "season" of riding with the front roller, all is well. Little wear is apparent and she still rolls smoothly. MSR replacement designated for the XR500R (my receipt doesn't show the MSR part number )

That's great! Thanks for posting the update.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #78
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have now ridden about 30,000 miles with my 'chain slipper roller.' It continues to function very well, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

However, I have stopped using my Spud Rollers in the bike's chain guide. I discovered the impact from the drive chain was causing the roller bolts to fracture the plastic chain guide. Therefore, I have removed the Spud Rollers from my chain guide. In fact, I haven't even replaced the chain guide slider. I have left the bottom of the chain guide open. Since I am not taxing the bike's suspension anywhere near its limits, I haven't had any problems result from opening the bottom of the chain guide.

Therefore, my experiment with chain rollers is complete. If I ever decide to once again enclose the bottom of the chain guide, I will revert back to the stock, chain guide slider. I have sent a personal message to the forum moderator asking him to close my Spud Roller thread in the Vendor's Forum. I wish to thank everyone who purchased my Spud Rollers, and I wish you all ride nothing but happy trails.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #79
Skought
Shadetree Mechanic

Oddometer: 82
Thumb 96 xr400r

Spud, thanks for posting, putting a T50 on my XR and this is the mod that will make it work
Skought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #80
foxhunterbubba
n00b

Oddometer: 2
spud, I have looked till my eyes are sore, what size roller to use for the single roller with a 48 tooth rear sprocket?

now i am confused, read post 48 and just don't see the reference to no rollers in ther rear slider bracket.

was it some where else?
post 48

"If you can manufacture any size you want, here are the optimal dimensions.

Rear Chain Guide Roller: 24mm X 24mm
Front Chain Guide Roller: 30mm X 24mm

I am currently using two identical chain rollers, size 24mm X 26mm, in my chain guide. "

foxhunterbubba screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 09:39 PM
foxhunterbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #81
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunterbubba View Post
spud, I have looked till my eyes are sore, what size roller to use for the single roller with a 48 tooth rear sprocket?
I'm not sure I understand your question. However, as I stated in post #78 of this thread, I am no longer using any rollers in the chain guide. In fact, I have left the bottom of the chain guide open.

I replaced the 'chain slipper' with a single roller as described in post #5 of this thread.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 09:58 PM
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #82
foxhunterbubba
n00b

Oddometer: 2
sorry for the confusion, maybe the fact you are no longer using a roller where the chain guide is in front of the sprocket speaks volumes. why have you gone there, if i may ask?
thx
bob
you mean #78, right?
currently i don't even have a slider bracket on my swing arm much less a roller. guess i will just do the front roller.

foxhunterbubba screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 09:43 PM
foxhunterbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #83
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunterbubba View Post
sorry for the confusion, maybe the fact you are no longer using a roller where the chain guide is in front of the sprocket speaks volumes. why have you gone there, if i may ask?
thx
bob
you mean #78, right?
currently i don't even have a slider bracket on my swing arm much less a roller. guess i will just do the front roller.
Yes, I made a typographical error. Post #78 explains why I am no longer using rollers in my chain guide. I have corrected my previous post.

I do encourage you to substitute a chain roller for the 'chain slipper' located near the counter shaft sprocket.

Spud