Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #961
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
I'm thinking you can probably make a new coolant catch tank to match your specific space requirements. Heck, you could use a soda bottle provided the fittings don't leak.
It doesn't even matter if it leaks a bit, as long as the hose is in the antifreeze. My jeep has a beer can, works fine.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #962
rube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Coolant overflow tank

So the stock coolant overflow tank interfered with the idle speed screw, float bowel drain screw, and the choke on the Mikuni TM33 I mounted on my KLR250.
I made a new, smaller tank from a baby bottle (clear and heat resistant). Now I can drain the float bowl, reach the idle screw and it looks like I can fit the carb mounted choke plunger. Right now the baby bottle is zip tied to the frame. If it seems to work, I'll work out a better mount.
I drilled two holes through the baby bottle flat storage top, epoxied a couple hose barbs in the holes. One of the barbs has a hose inside the bottle that hooks to the radiator tube, the othe barb hooks outside the bottle to the vent tube that goes to the rear fender. The baby bottle nipple flange is being used as a gasket.

I think it will work. If it warms up a little next week I'll get some more riding in with the new carb and catch tank.

rube

rube screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 06:48 PM Reason: Spelling
rube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #963
flinch
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Kickstart jammed/engine blown?

My kickstart jammed. I'd ride to a buddy's house and went out to start it 30 minutes later and it wouldn't move. I assumed the worst but figured I'd try some simple things. I changed the oil and filter, and it started to kick through but with hellacious resistance. It's started to get better but wont push start either. I'd like to fix it, but looking for suggestions.
flinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #964
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
First thing I'd guess would be hydro lock. Remove plug and see if it cranks. CAREFUL, make sure key is off... if it was a leaky carb filling cylinder, and you crank the gas out the plug hole and generate a spark, big explosion or fire.

Second thought is compression release not working.

Good luck.

Sent from mobile
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #965
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,452
Ditto above plug removal. I'd also suggest popping the valve cover for visual inspection- perhaps an adjuster got loose and tightened up valve clearances. Other thoughts:

With valve cover off, take out the cam chain tensioner. Easy to do, easy to cross off your list of suspects.

KACR issue- I've had the spring missing in a project bike, and although it will make kicking harder it will not make it a chore. But again, one of those things you can cross off.

Definitely would not force start it, that could cause serious damage at this point. Dig under the covers, see what you can see.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!

newcastleadam screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 07:07 AM
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #966
flinch
n00b

Well there's yer problem

That looks good

flinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #967
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Photos are a bit small, can you post up larger ones?

Huh, in Gville too eh . Shoot me a PM, happy to swing by and take a gander.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #968
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Here ya go

First glance is the Kawasaki Auto Compression Release (KACR) came off the exhaust cam. Or rather, the pieces off . The KACR keeps the exhaust valve slightly open to ease starting- once it's running it releases. You don't *need* it to start, but it will make your life easier. I believe it is pressed onto the end of the cam, and apparently it came off somehow and grenaded. I'd bet that there are other parts of the KACR floating around causing issues.

In any case, we'll dig into it a bit more and see what other damage we can do. Find, I meant find
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #969
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,833
Anyon know if a green KLR250 owner from about Pompano Beach or Deerfield Beach is in this thread? I saw him in a local neighborhood the other day, and am willing to ride with any dual sport riders that are down here (the very few of us there are).
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #970
rube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Bill Blue tm33 mileage

I recently installed a mikuni tm33 pumper carb on my klr250.
I've only run one tank of gas through it so far.
The acceleration is better than stock. I have not really tried to wheelie it yet, but it does feel possible, where I could not wheelie it with the stock cv carb.
I use the bike to commute. I've got a cycleracks rack with a top box.
I was getting 60-70 mpg on my commute with the stock carb. The first tank of gas with the pumper gave me 40.7 mpg! I was not expecting such a dramatic drop, and coasted into the gas station this morning having run it empty on reserve.
I like the acceleration with the new carb but am not sure if I can live with the milage. With the stock tank being less than 3 gallons I'm going to have to fill the tank every day for my 37 mile one way commute. I don't think there are any aftermarket tank options which significantly increase the tank size. Am I wrong?

rube
rube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #971
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by rube View Post
I don't think there are any aftermarket tank options which significantly increase the tank size. Am I wrong?
I think Clark makes a plastic aftermarket tank for the KLR250; not a great increase in volume over OEM, IIRC.

But . . . you already have a Cyclerack; you can get pannier hangers from Cyclerack, with sheet metal plate drilled for a Kolpin auxiliary fuel container bracket, and rig up something like this (you don't have to have the panniers and top case):

KLR650 shown, but . . . accessories fit KLR250 Cyclerack also (I have both).

I use 1.25 gallon Pioneer container; the larger Kolpin and maybe other containers (e.g., Rotopacks (?)) will fit the bracket also; don't know about the clearance with the larger vessels, might have to mount them outboard. If you mount auxilary fuel containers both left and right side, the right one MUST go outboard, IMHO, to clear the exhaust heat sufficiently.

P.S. No pumper carb expert, I, but . . . I imagine you could improve your fuel mileage by 1) Re-jetting your carb, and 2) Avoiding opening and closing the throttle excessively; as you know, each time you turn the throttle you squirt raw gasoline into your venturi! Again, conjecture and speculation, ideas offered in hope they might be helpful in improving your fuel economy.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 06:14 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #972
handyman1018
way up firm and high

Oddometer: 18
New Zero fender on KLR 250

Old stock fender was pretty beat up and I just wanted a change. Got this from Dennis Kirk (part 61-9222) delivered for under $25. Had to drill new mounting holes but I like the look of it and smaller profile should slice thru the wind better.

photo IMG_3363_zps19c1ed39.jpg
handyman1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #973
hogbot3112
n00b

Newbie here but I thought I'd post the bike in here!

Bought it a few years ago for a couple of hundred quid, spent a few hundred more on running gear parts etc and now I used it as my commuter hack etc and its brilliant! paint job is rattle can special but tbh it's better then the crazed, multicoloured glory it was before
hogbot3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #974
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Pretty sharp for a rattle can :-)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #975
hogbot3112
n00b

Like anything, it's all in the prep. Took my sweet time on it and it looks ok from that distance

I've got new rear shock on it, new progressive front springs and I've dynojet'd the thing to boot.
hogbot3112 is offline   Reply With Quote