ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #31
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I think this is the best argument in favor of keeping the GPS data slightly criptic for most. I do the same screening thing, though in a different way.
Very Good points to help reduce liability but not eliminate it. If you "promote" a ride, I think you have some liability and should have insurance if you any assets. This is why I get AMA sanction and insurance on all my organized rides. People ask if they can just buy my tracks and I never sell anything, that really increases liability. There is some risk for an invetational ride with no insurance.

If you just say here are Tracks for the CDR or the GWT which are promoted by others, liability is much less. If you just say these are tracks from a ride I did without any promotion, liability is much less. I guess I should think about this with my SMTS for various states.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
I've read about a lot of TAT and CDR rides and I've yet to see one website with a point-to-point description of miles, terrain, elevation, fuel stops, gear/bike recommendations, accommodations with a detailed narrative of each leg of the trip and video footage. Perhaps they are available in the commercial realm, but I've yet to see anything with that level of information in one place for free.
Like I said above, I would never do this without very good liability insurance coverage and tons of disclaimers that you must agree to before you can get to the data on line. Just like license agreements for software.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Like I said above, I would never do this without very good liability insurance coverage and tons of disclaimers that you must agree to before you can get to the data on line. Just like license agreements for software.
There are thousands of tour guides published each year with maps and directions. I doubt they have bought any kind of liability insurance. Most of our tracks are on public roads, forest roads and the occasional private farm. I don't see where your liability is. If I tell you to ride up I-5 to Seattle and give you directions to my house and you have a wreck, I wouldn't be liable.

What do I not understand?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
motorcyclejazz
Banned

Oddometer: 209
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
I've read about a lot of TAT and CDR rides and I've yet to see one website with a point-to-point description of miles, terrain, elevation, fuel stops, gear/bike recommendations, accommodations with a detailed narrative of each leg of the trip and video footage. Perhaps they are available in the commercial realm, but I've yet to see anything with that level of information in one place for free.

The primary criticism of the TID seems to be the formatting of the navigation. I'm a GPS neophyte, so I asked a TID alumnus about navigation--I had the Garmin-compatible files emailed to me 10 minutes later.

Re the "wilderness" comment: The designation of a Wilderness Area by the Federal Government has a specific meaning and effect. I assume your capitalization of the word and comment presumes that meaning, however, nothing of what I said or anything having to do with the TID suggests that particular meaning of the word as opposed to the ordinary meaning. Which begs the question: are you confused or petulant?

ETA:
I've taken instruction in SCUBA, rock climbing, firearms, piloting etc; my teachers in these risky hobbies have all taken a similar tone to that of the TID creators. I don't think it would be responsible to promote a ride like the TID without some basic screening of the ill-prepared and/or lightweights. To that end, would you want to encourage people to attempt a 1,400 mile ride in the back country if they couldn't be counted on to read basic instructions? Likewise for the prideful, easily butthurt or plain novice?

There are a lot of sources for qualitative information about the ride on the TID forum and facebook page. I've learned a lot hanging around those areas--enough that I was convinced to abandon my 2012 attempt so that I could better prepare.
Thanks for your help here. I hope that you are coming back in 2013. A shout to Ralph, as well. Both of you get it.

Cheers

m
motorcyclejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #35
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp View Post
There are thousands of tour guides published each year with maps and directions. I doubt they have bought any kind of liability insurance.

I don't see where your liability is. If I tell you to ride up I-5 to Seattle and give you directions to my house and you have a wreck, I wouldn't be liable. What do I not understand?
I am away for winter so I can't check any of my books but I would bet that every one of them have big disclaimer section. As to insurance, if you have any assets, and if you get so far as publishing books and you have not formed an LLC or purchased at least umbrella insurance, you are a fool.

It doesn't matter what you see, it is all up to the injured party. If they file a cival claim, you pay to defend yourself or pay the claim. In most cases it is cheaper to pay the claim. I was on the board of directers of AMA District 37, a road rider drove straight off the highway at a curve and filed a claim against Suzuki, Dunlap, and AMA. Our insurance just paid the guy. An enduro rider cut the course, crashed in a hole, our insurance paid. Without insurance we would have been out a lot of money paying or defending.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #36
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Question Tour of Idaho 2 gpx tracks?

Howdy All,

I am searching for a readily available Tour of Idaho 2 in gpx track format. I went to motorcyclejazz's site and downloaded the xml file, then converted it to gpx, then imported it to basecamp, then tried to create a route from the points; but it just wasn't the output I was looking for.

Does anyone have Tour of Idaho 2 in a cleaned up gpx track format?

Thanks.

P.S.: Thanks Motorcyclejazz for putting this all toghether. I have ridden some of these roads already, like the first 100 miles or so. Good choice on that route. I can't wait to do this.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #37
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Did you look at threads below?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Did you look at threads below?

I don't know what threads you are referencing by "threads below." I've found the gpx tracks listed within this thread, but they are just for T1, not T2.

It won't be that much trouble to build a track from the way points listed on T2 while in Basecamp. I just thought perhaps this work had already been done here on this site, so I asked. I'll get to work on it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
I don't know what threads you are referencing by "threads below." I've found the gpx tracks listed within this thread, but they are just for T1, not T2.
Threads below are threads with Idaho in them below like:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=10
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #40
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Quote:
Threads below are threads with Idaho in them below like:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=10

Thanks a bunch Countdown. Looks great.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #41
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 208
Here's what I got so far using Martins' .tpo files for the T1 route. Uploaded to everytrail.com, here's the link.

CLICK ON MAP PIC FOR LINK

Looks pretty good. Should work fine with some careful route and trip report study and some marked up USFS National Forest maps while enroute.

Feel free to download .gpx files (lwr rt corner of the everytrail page.)

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
KTM 350 EXC-F
Worldclass Singletrack-Downieville, CA.
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #42
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
The 2014 version of the T1 is not finalized yet, there have been some changes since last year. If you check the site sometime in the new year he should have the track pretty well sorted.
redpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #43
gameyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
how much different is the 2014 route from the one that visualizerent posted? I've downloaded his AND the latest from Martin's Motorcyclejazz T1 site but Martins gpx files come with a zillion little flags, I just picked up a used Garmin Oregon 450 yesterday and have no idea how to convert those into something more readable (I'll be using it a lot in the next couple of months to get up to speed before I head out, and I'll have paper maps too)
gameyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #44
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Im from Idaho and none of you out of staters should bother coming here, trust me. The trails all suck, it rains every day, Hungry ten foot tall Grizzly bears all over the place. Just move along, nothing to see here.
Solarbronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #45
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
Im from Idaho and none of you out of staters should bother coming here, trust me. The trails all suck, it rains every day, Hungry ten foot tall Grizzly bears all over the place. Just move along, nothing to see here.
And the locals aren't very nice.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote