User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #27571
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,319
I did this yesterday. Wicked headwind as I was headed either west or south. Woof.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #27572
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Wet or dry, it'll be a little chilly. I'll run the GoPro for sure just to capture the insanity.
Awesome, that should make for quite a video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I did this yesterday. Wicked headwind as I was headed either west or south. Woof.
I've ridden along that part of the 101, before you turn East to go to Napa. Pretty scenery, but damn, yeah, the winds...Well done!
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #27573
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

Nice!

The winds were pretty nuts yesterday. It's always so disheartening when you're cranking along and you can feel your HR spiking, but you look at the bike comp and you're doing 15mph. I was actually chanting "H-T-F-U" while I was huffing upwind.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #27574
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,660
that's a lovely area; most of the rides that i still do moto-ham support for are in that area. but like an idiot, i was on the bicycle yesterday instead. into the wind,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Nice!

The winds were pretty nuts yesterday. It's always so disheartening when you're cranking along and you can feel your HR spiking, but you look at the bike comp and you're doing 15mph.l
one more reason i don't spoil a ride with a cyclometer anymore,... dang things never seem to be able to sense the wind, and the work i'm actually doing,...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #27575
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
When it gets really windy out, I find myself riding my MTB for some reason. At 6'4", I'm more sail than aero. Gimme a nice, long climb over a headwind any day.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #27576
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
well, due to some unfortunate circumstances, im gonna have to take Gummees advice.... the fork arrived today, and the idiot seller cant read a tape measure.... or know how to measure a fork steerer... one or the other.... 3 different bidders asked what the diameter of the steerer is...to which he replied 1" every time...guess what...its 1 1/8" with an ID of 1".....so it wont fit the elcheapo frame....so off to the mess of bike parts in the garage...out came the trek 3900 that i retired from mountain use last fall...and all the parts went over to that frame now...spent the last 3 hrs moving what all i can, so far i need a rear derailleur (needed one anyways) and a seat post clamp....and yes, that seat is WAY too high yet....LOL

bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #27577
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
well, due to some unfortunate circumstances, im gonna have to take Gummees advice.... the fork arrived today, and the idiot seller cant read a tape measure.... or know how to measure a fork steerer... one or the other.... 3 different bidders asked what the diameter of the steerer is...to which he replied 1" every time...guess what...its 1 1/8" with an ID of 1".....so it wont fit the elcheapo frame....so off to the mess of bike parts in the garage...out came the trek 3900 that i retired from mountain use last fall...and all the parts went over to that frame now...spent the last 3 hrs moving what all i can, so far i need a rear derailleur (needed one anyways) and a seat post clamp....and yes, that seat is WAY too high yet....LOL

No,No.... The bars are protour low. very aero
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #27578
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
No,No.... The bars are protour low. very aero

well, seeing as i cant make them any higher (drawback of a preowned fork, cant add to the stem hieght...LOL) it may just stay that way depending on where the seat ends up...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #27579
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Got all pumped about riding after watching that video about the night race down in LA next month...Decided to go out for a short, but challenging ride. Ended up staying out for 4 hours, and got some killer shots with the Droid:

Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #27580
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
@BB:

Least that frame's worth riding.

M
Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #27581
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
nice photos Nihon Newbie !

Got in an 18 mile loop around Acadia National Park last night.

on the tdf trainer
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #27582
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
This guy is well known to be an idiot and continues to reinforce that. Not only in pricing, but, look at the shipping.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #27583
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
First "long" ride of the year coming up this Saturday!

What we don't have in altitude (~ 2900 ft of climbing), we make up for in distance (248 miles). We'll start in Casa Grande and make our way to Gila Bend - a lovely desert oasis and generally speaking, one of the hottest towns in the US in the summer.

From there, we'll go north towards Buckeye and then turn back to the east where we'll skirt Phoenix from west-to-east before heading back down to the lovely town of Casa Grande.

This is roughly 400-km and according to the on-line maps, 248.3 miles. I'll add another mile or so to record an even 250 miles.

Last year, we completed the ride in 19:50 total time of which 16:40 hour was moving. Three hours of rest isn't really a lot but 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there really adds up. Lunch and dinner adds time - we usually stop for a midnight snack too. Heck, after 10 PM, it's hard to ride past a Circle K when they're 20-25-30 miles apart.

I have two goals: finish safely and enjoy the ride. The weather is supposed to be spectacular - highs in the high 70's and lows in the 50's. The moon will be 92% so it'll be a bright night to boot.

BTW, I've said it before... if you can do a hard-ish flat 60-mile ride at 18-20 mph, you can ride just about any brevet - especially this one. Our goal is to pace ourselves at 16-18 mph but in reality, we'll take what the road & weather gives to us. There are some short rollers on the way to Gila Bend and we'll do 25+ through that section 'cause it's a blast!

These take a lot out of you but with regular caloric intake, patience and pace, 250 miles in a day is a lot easier than you think. If you're on a diamond-frame, a superior fit will help - distance rides will accentuate any fit issues or adjustments that aren't perfect.

k7 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 08:57 AM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #27584
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
distance rides will accentuate any fit issues or adjustments that aren't perfect.
I believe that qualifies as an understatement.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #27585
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I believe that qualifies as an understatement.
I just want people to think that these are impossible. Anyone can do them. As a friend of mine says, "90% of brevets is 50% mental."
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: