ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #14116
jimbobthebear
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 14
Front wheel bearings

Hello people

Can anybody remember the odd front wheel bearing size? Some bikes use an identical pair and some (mine included) run a smaller diameter but wider bearing in one side. Last time I made it up from two thin ones. I can't get in the garage to measure it at the moment.

Thanks guys
jimbobthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #14117
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Simosez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: eternally sunny lithgow
Oddometer: 380
well i finally got around to cutting the side out of a spare filter and seeing if it makes a difference.
after i cut out the triangle, i ran a bead of silastic around the cut edge to make a rounded profile to reduce turbulence.
this mod is worth doing along with 125 mains and richening up the needle.
with the jetting mods and stock filter there was a slight increase in performance but was still flat up top.
after the filter mod, this thing pulls hard all the way to 148k/ph and was still pulling hard but i was running out of road this is a definite improvement. i thought the old girl might be getting a bit tired but after today i think she still goes allright
Rob, that yellow bike of yours must be impressive
__________________
"Safety Turd. Because the only skid marks should be on the dirt."
"If I could get back all the money I ever spent on dirt bikes, I'd spend it all on dirt bikes."
DR750 BIG
Husaberg 350
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #14118
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,814
Gidday Simon, she,s a goer mate, hey there are about 10 or so blokes staying here friday night the 15th to Sun sun the 17th with a ride on the sat 16th remember last year we called it the Turon River Classic .
Are you comin over give us a ring and I will give you the details.
__________________
I ride alone and not a KTM in sight .
Menace Racing supported by Robmoto Industries
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #14119
mait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mait's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 301
Camshaft question

Any of you guys knows if SR43 camshaft will fit into SR42 head and do its job there?
I know the timing and lift is a bit different but other than that?
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #14120
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,903
As far as I know they are identical for fit and use.

The exception is the "A" style cam from the UK that has a bit earlier intake timing than the "B" style from Germany.

I think you get a few more HP with the "A" style. it should be stamped on the cam end where the cam timing marks (that line up with the head casting) are located.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #14121
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Simosez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: eternally sunny lithgow
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Gidday Simon, she,s a goer mate, hey there are about 10 or so blokes staying here friday night the 15th to Sun sun the 17th with a ride on the sat 16th remember last year we called it the Turon River Classic .
Are you comin over give us a ring and I will give you the details.
cheers Rob. i'll see how i go, things are a bit busy at the moment. i might try and meet up with you for the day ride.
how is the river? have you had the sort of rain we have had east of the range? the rivers ar raging over this way.
__________________
"Safety Turd. Because the only skid marks should be on the dirt."
"If I could get back all the money I ever spent on dirt bikes, I'd spend it all on dirt bikes."
DR750 BIG
Husaberg 350
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #14122
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,814
Simon not much rain over here really we are missing out, although not bone dry.
__________________
I ride alone and not a KTM in sight .
Menace Racing supported by Robmoto Industries
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #14123
mait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mait's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 301
Camshaft

Thanks Ray. This is what I thought myself, too. Why did I ask it was because SR43A camshaft is still available as Suzuki original part. While SR42A camshaft is superceded and replaced by SR43B type camshaft AFAIK.
I have DR800 SR42B and the idea was to release some more potential from the engine with less restrictive "A"-model camshaft.

If you know of any reason why these two (SR42B engine and SR43A camshaft) should NOT be joined together in holy DR Big, speak now, or... I may be screwed

I think I've read in German Big forum (with the help of google translator) someone had SR43 camshaft in SR41 for a year without problems, so it should be working fine in SR42, too.

BTW the 106mm pistons are not ready yet. I have no idea why it is taking so long. Or maybe its just me being impatient.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #14124
wundis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Oddometer: 75
Perhaps it's a good time to discuss this publicly rather than ask mait in private

To add up to his question:

Since my camshaft is worn beyond recognition (ok, i may be exaggerating a bit here) and I am still considering multiple options on what to do with it. Does anyone of you know if one can use a brand new SR43A camshaft (12711-31D00 ) on a SR43B (in a perfect world the camshaft should be 12711-31D10) bike with SR43B CDI (32900-31D10) (again, in a perfect world A camshaft should go with A cdi (32900-31D00))? That is taking in mind the differences between the camshafts and cdi (different timing).

PS as an alternative, I am considering using local camshaft restoration services from a reliable shop, they do that for 72 eur (that includes restoration of camshaft and 2 rocker arms). On the downside - I don't think i would be sleeping as calmly with this restoration as with HRT services, but the difference in price (and transport) is playing a big role here.
wundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #14125
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Resi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Nassau Area
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
I think I've read in German Big forum (with the help of google translator) someone had SR43 camshaft in SR41 for a year without problems, so it should be working fine in SR42, too. .
Hi Mait, they should be interchangeable... ;)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
BTW the 106mm pistons are not ready yet. I have no idea why it is taking so long. Or maybe its just me being impatient.
Yes. I don't know who does your pistons, mine took about 4 or 5 weeks...

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #14126
mait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mait's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 301
Lars, 5 weeks to make the pistons was what I was told, too. I think we are in the middle of week 5 now. I'll shoot them an e-mail tomorrow.

About camshaft -
I think I'll give it a try to put SR43A camshaft in SR42B. I am quite sure there will be no mechanical conflict.
Like Wundis already pointed - I am curious too how the camshaft will act with different CDI (read: ignition timing) it was not designed to work with. I suppose it shouldn't be a problem, since many aftermarket cams are produced for BIGs and they don't care if it goes into SR41 or SR43, A or B model AFAIK.

And then there is another possible mod called tunable CD Ignition which allows you to design your own ignition curve in your computer
I hope these guys are still in business: http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm
Look for section "SPARKER DC-CDI - capacitive ignition for 1 cyl. motorbikes" on their site.
I am not too serious about this mod right now but the idea has haunted me since I read SR43 had different ignition curve.
OK, over and out now. I think I am just overthinking and should get working on the bike finally. Snow is already melting here...
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #14127
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Resi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Nassau Area
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
About camshaft -
I think I'll give it a try to put SR43A camshaft in SR42B. I am quite sure there will be no mechanical conflict.
Yeah. I've got a couple of regrund camshafts, used in SR41, 42 and 43...
But, I always check for clearance.

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #14128
aapo
aapo
 
aapo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
Lars, 5 weeks to make the pistons was what I was told, too. I think we are in the middle of week 5 now. I'll shoot them an e-mail tomorrow.

About camshaft -
I think I'll give it a try to put SR43A camshaft in SR42B. I am quite sure there will be no mechanical conflict.
Like Wundis already pointed - I am curious too how the camshaft will act with different CDI (read: ignition timing) it was not designed to work with. I suppose it shouldn't be a problem, since many aftermarket cams are produced for BIGs and they don't care if it goes into SR41 or SR43, A or B model AFAIK.

And then there is another possible mod called tunable CD Ignition which allows you to design your own ignition curve in your computer
I hope these guys are still in business: http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm
Look for section "SPARKER DC-CDI - capacitive ignition for 1 cyl. motorbikes" on their site.
I am not too serious about this mod right now but the idea has haunted me since I read SR43 had different ignition curve.
OK, over and out now. I think I am just overthinking and should get working on the bike finally. Snow is already melting here...
With ignitech you can the get rid of ignition power source coil and update stator to similar used on africa twin. In case you need lots of electricity (light, heated grips etc. Could be usefulle at least up here in nort...) But then you also need to have battery in good condition to have spark.

This is interesting choice for SR41 owners, since SR41 stator is avilable only from suzuki, . or then just re coil old one....

-aapo
__________________
-aapo
DR 750S 1989

http://picasaweb.google.com/aapo.saari
aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #14129
wundis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Oddometer: 75
Cam chain tensioner spring from HRT

Hey,
I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to find the cam chain tensioner spring on the updated Hesslers site... No luck.

Could someone please give me a direct link?
wundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #14130
mait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mait's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 301
Here you are:
http://www.dr-big-shop.de/BIG_MotorReparatur_821.html
I ordered one a couple of months ago



Quote:
Originally Posted by wundis View Post
Hey,
I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to find the cam chain tensioner spring on the updated Hesslers site... No luck.

Could someone please give me a direct link?
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014