ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer
 
DADODIRT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Durango,CO(not quite Purgatory)
Oddometer: 3,249
Here's a few more shots in the area....

Camp near Lake Powell and the east end of the Burr Trail.


Moki Dugway north of Mexican Hat..

Somewhere along 141 in Colorado.....
__________________
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

DADODIRT screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 02:56 PM
DADODIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #17
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 5,783


Now that's what I'm talking about!!!
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
PMC
riding rider
 
PMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities MN
Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Here's a few more shots in the area....

Camp near Lake Powell and the east end of the Burr Trail.


Moki Dugway north of Mexican Hat..

Somewhere along 141 in Colorado.....
YOU ARE KILLING ME

Must go back this year with my 950, must go back.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 5,783
I've been pouring over maps of the area and looking at photos online, and I am really looking forward to this segment of my trip.

However, I don't believe I'm going to have the time to see Mesa Verde. From Durango it looks to be about 55-60 miles, so I'm looking at around 120 miles round-trip, plus the time it would take to actually visit the ruins.
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I've been pouring over maps of the area and looking at photos online, and I am really looking forward to this segment of my trip.

However, I don't believe I'm going to have the time to see Mesa Verde. From Durango it looks to be about 55-60 miles, so I'm looking at around 120 miles round-trip, plus the time it would take to actually visit the ruins.
Lots of ride reports on the area, and I think the KTM national rally was in Ouray in 2003 or 2004. I've read all kinds of reports here on ADV over the past ten years...

Here are a few of mine that might help:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97964
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168440
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486258

I'll be out there in Ouray June 21/22/23 this year meeting a couple dozen Guzzi riders at the KOA in Ouray.

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Lots of ride reports on the area, and I think the KTM national rally was in Ouray in 2003 or 2004. I've read all kinds of reports here on ADV over the past ten years...

Here are a few of mine that might help:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97964
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168440
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486258

I'll be out there in Ouray June 21/22/23 this year meeting a couple dozen Guzzi riders at the KOA in Ouray.

Thanks for the reports. When I have downtime at work today, I'll read them.

I'm not leaving for three months, but the planning stage (i.e. winter) always gets me excited for the ride. By the time I actually ride out of my driveway, I've usually memorized the entire route and the execution (the ride) is just a pleasure.
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
Woodduck
Adventurer
 
Woodduck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Mt Tambo QLD
Oddometer: 69
Google Earth



Got to Love Google Earth, or get totally freaked out by it. You can pretty much nail the location of this photo just from scanning around in the 3d view.

Mgmt wants to head up to Eagle in August, so this thread is right up our alley for planning purposes.
__________________
THE MAIN REASON THAT SANTA IS SO JOLLY IS BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHERE ALL THE BAD GIRLS LIVE.
Woodduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post


Got to Love Google Earth, or get totally freaked out by it. You can pretty much nail the location of this photo just from scanning around in the 3d view.

Mgmt wants to head up to Eagle in August, so this thread is right up our alley for planning purposes.
Great photo!!!

Feel free to ask any questions you want and join the thread. I can't be the only guy planning a ride on 550.
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #24
Woodduck
Adventurer
 
Woodduck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Mt Tambo QLD
Oddometer: 69
Rough plan for Aug

Here's the thinking so far... I'm sure it will change, the more looking we do.

Brisbane to Vegas
Hire a bike
Vegas to Grand Canyon
GC to around Dolores
Dolores to Paonia
Paonia to Eagle
Eagle to Montrose via black canyon
Montrose to Durango
Durango to page
Page to Vegas via St George
Back to Brisbane totally knackered

As stated the more we investigate things, the more this will move around. Mgmt is into the horses, so I can already see a day in Durango while she goes riding and I'll go wandering for the day (no brakes on a horse).

Were working on the theory of 2 weeks to do this.
__________________
THE MAIN REASON THAT SANTA IS SO JOLLY IS BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHERE ALL THE BAD GIRLS LIVE.
Woodduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
Here's the thinking so far... I'm sure it will change, the more looking we do.

Brisbane to Vegas
Hire a bike
Vegas to Grand Canyon
GC to around Dolores
Dolores to Paonia
Paonia to Eagle
Eagle to Montrose via black canyon
Montrose to Durango
Durango to page
Page to Vegas via St George
Back to Brisbane totally knackered

As stated the more we investigate things, the more this will move around. Mgmt is into the horses, so I can already see a day in Durango while she goes riding and I'll go wandering for the day (no brakes on a horse).

Were working on the theory of 2 weeks to do this.
That plan sounds great. How many miles?
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #26
Woodduck
Adventurer
 
Woodduck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Mt Tambo QLD
Oddometer: 69
3000km give or take, which is near enough to 1900 miles.

Trying to break into 400-450km per day (250-280miles). Figure we can do several 2 hour stints and take in the sites along the route, particularly the photo stops.

Eagle is 4 days in the one spot at a horse event. With any luck I'll get parole and do some additional wandering around.

The reports I've read on the site suggest Pikes Peak is almost near enough but possibly too boring given the slow journey up the tourist trap. Shame given the motorsport history of the place.

Any idea where you are heading?
__________________
THE MAIN REASON THAT SANTA IS SO JOLLY IS BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHERE ALL THE BAD GIRLS LIVE.
Woodduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #27
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
3000km give or take, which is near enough to 1900 miles.

Trying to break into 400-450km per day (250-280miles). Figure we can do several 2 hour stints and take in the sites along the route, particularly the photo stops.

Eagle is 4 days in the one spot at a horse event. With any luck I'll get parole and do some additional wandering around.

The reports I've read on the site suggest Pikes Peak is almost near enough but possibly too boring given the slow journey up the tourist trap. Shame given the motorsport history of the place.

Any idea where you are heading?
I'm pretty sure I've got my route nailed down, but I'm still tweaking the details, adding things I don't want to miss. From Arkansas it's just a long haul west. I'm starting at Great Sand Dunes National park, then Durango to Montrose on 550 (Million Dollar Highway), then Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, then north rim and south rim of the Grand Canyon, then Monument Valley, and finally the long trek home.

Should be approximately 3,750 miles (6,000 kilometers) in 10 days.

That's the plan, at least.
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
Woodduck
Adventurer
 
Woodduck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Mt Tambo QLD
Oddometer: 69
Speaking with some US guys at work today, they spent quite a while in this area building a coal plant and have been overloading me with suggestions.

Once I digest them I'll run them past you in case you have any feedback on them as good routes to ride.
__________________
THE MAIN REASON THAT SANTA IS SO JOLLY IS BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHERE ALL THE BAD GIRLS LIVE.
Woodduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #29
Woodduck
Adventurer
 
Woodduck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Mt Tambo QLD
Oddometer: 69
Current Thinking

So this is the updates plan for late August. Added in Hoover Dam and Aspen, plus a less boring route to Page on the way back to Vegas.

The idea is to start at Vegas at one extreme, up to Eagle at the other extreme and back to Vegas. In total a bit over 3000km.

__________________
THE MAIN REASON THAT SANTA IS SO JOLLY IS BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHERE ALL THE BAD GIRLS LIVE.
Woodduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
So this is the updates plan for late August. Added in Hoover Dam and Aspen, plus a less boring route to Page on the way back to Vegas.

The idea is to start at Vegas at one extreme, up to Eagle at the other extreme and back to Vegas. In total a bit over 3000km.

Looks like a great route! I would double-check the road south of Page, if that's 89. I can't quite tell by the map.

I don't remember where I saw it (maybe advrider) but that road collapsed recently. No timetable currently for when that road will re-open.
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014